257 Belleville Street
Use: condo
Address: 257 Belleville Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
257 Belleville Street is a proposal for an eight-storey condominium along the 200-block of Belleville Street i... (view full profile)
Learn more about 257 Belleville Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay - Victoria] 257 Belleville (Admiral Inn site) | 29.5m | 8-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#101 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

^OMG

Best idea ever and we can use that new technology that talks inside your head to demand answers to questions from tourists coming off the Coho.

#102 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:01 AM

They should paint a big eye in the middle and call it "The Masonry"

#103 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 01:44 PM

Here's what the site looks like as viewed from a room in Harbour Towers:

http://picasaweb.goo...568231737964674

And here's what the proposed building might look like on the site:

#104 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

This project really has me excited. We haven't had anything daring or interesting for.. well.. for ever! The Falls and Juliet are very nice buildings, but they're still quite.. normal looking. Shutters has a nice curve to it but it's really not that unusual. But THIS building, it's something special. It's something people will love or hate, which is really the mark of interesting architecture. A prominent building that will get locals and visitors TALKING about architecture, noticing architecture. Even if I didn't love the architecture of this building, I'd still love that it's usual enough to break the mold, which is something this part of down drastically needs.

Where is this project right now? I'm not 100% familiar with the ridiculous maze of hearings and submissions projects have go through. Has anything official really been submitted, any rumours on its chances?

#105 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 04:23 PM

Rest assured, plenty of people will hate the Falls. And the Juliet. And my new doghouse.

I think this Belleville site would work better as two sections with a gap in the middle. But then I almost always think that.

#106 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

One of Scaper's photos. Recall the recent letter saying the impact this building would have on the Harbour's heritage architecture:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#107 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

One of Scaper's photos. Recall the recent letter saying the impact this building would have on the Harbour's heritage architecture

And clearly that letter writer was correct as I can barely see the Legislature and none of the Empress anywhere in this photo. It is obvious to me that the presence of this new building, even in proposal, has pretty much wiped those two heritage buildings off the map. ;)

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:43 AM

What intrigues me about this building is that it unlike other buildings it is perpendicular to the harbourfront yet presents a strong face when viewed from the side. If their is a weak side, it may be the brick facade that faces the Laurel Point Inn but from the discussions I've had with the architect this aspect continues to be refined.

There have already been some revisions to the ground floor plane, in that more thought has been put in to the specific uses of the space (live/work units and some retail).

This is always a huge struggle for the developer and their marketers and we've seen many examples of how they try to guess the best use for their ground floor in neighbourhoods that are constantly evolving.

#109 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

The naysayer crowd might use their energy better by thinking about the impact the scuzzy Coho terminal has on the area's architecture. Or the aesthetically sensitive Undersea Gardens thingy ("View real Kokanee cans on the seabed!").

#110 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

I was positive this thing would cause such an uproar in James Bay that they'd completely focus their attention on it and let Westbanks's Crystal Court thing fly off the radar.

Guess I was wrong...

#111 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

Not only does the idea of finishing your own condo sound perposterous, it would be a scheduling nightmare (to the point of impossibility) for the builder.

Think of this: before you could even pour the structural slab you would need the floorplans completed and approved for every single tenant on that floor (so you would know where to pipe in the plumbing, electrical etc etc). In order for them to do that each individual owners designer would need to coordinate with the base building design team. Now, you take into account the fact that developers almost always have to start on the lower levels before design is even complete on the upper floors (financing...can't pay for empty property until the design is 100%). Because of this, there are invariably changes that occur on the upper floors. Now these changes need to be relayed to not one contractor, but every tenants design team.

How does the building complete? The developer can't close until the building has been granted occupancy by the City. This essentially means that every area of the building, including suites, need to meet minimum building code requirements. So, in essence, no one can move in until the last buyer finishes his suite. Ack!!!

From a buyers point of view, while the odd person may have the knowledge / desire to customize their suite, I think most people would shudder at the thought of having to coordinate the build on their own. Hell, my girlfriend has been trying to get the kitchen painted and it's taken her over two months just to lock down a colour...it's still not done.

I'm sorry, as someone with a little experience in this field, I could write an essay as to why this idea may possibly be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. I did this with one penthouse, one time, and it took them over a year to finish after the project was complete.

Once the developer puts just a tiny bit of thought into this, we'll see that it won't happen.

If the original idea won't work here, what if they lay out the building as usual, but give the buyer the option of buying 2 or more neighbouring units. Another problem with their plan that I thought of is what to do with a 200 sqft piece of scrap left over on a floor, that nobody is interested in buying? Would it get absorbed by a common area like a hallway, or left as a dead zone, walled-in in between two units, etc? That would be a waste of money for the developer if they're selling the building by the square foot. Deciding the plans for each floor would cover that also. If leaving the building to the buyers to finish would cause too much chaos why not give them the option of buying 2 or more neighbouring units & then finishing them as they like?

#112 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:05 PM

Speaking of unfinished condos:

http://www.charlotte...ory/155950.html

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Latest rendering by Roger Hughes in partnership with the local office of Tony James.

#114 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

stunning. I've always had a soft spot, nay... a love, for terraced balconies with overhanging plants. Great rendering!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#115 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

So have they eliminated the recessed balconies altogether on the glassy side in favour of protruding balconies?

#116 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

Looks awesome! I can't believe this could actually get built in Victoria!

#117 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:04 AM

Coooooool.

The JBNA will hate it.

Cooooool.

#118 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

No way!! That is just wicked!

#119 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

What will make or break this project is how they manage to handle the west side, which initially was very lacking. I'm curious how they'll fix that up.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#120 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

File under "Groan"?

From today's letters to the editor:

Pyramid threatens city's heart
Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The very heart of Victoria's Inner Harbour is being seriously threatened by an over-sized, architecturally inappropriate development at 257 Belleville St., the site of the Admiral Inn.

The developer is asking for an increase in density. Further, it wants additional height, going from 21.5 metres to 40.8 metres, the equivalent of 14 storeys. Permission to build up against the property line is also sought, thereby further restricting sight lines and possibly impeding emergency access.

The inappropriate glass and steel pyramid design of this building is an offence to the historical character of James Bay. James Bay residents are vehemently opposed to this project, as should be the rest of Victoria.

Modern glass and steel structures have no place in our historic areas and taxpayers must look to city council to protect the valuable heritage entrusted to its care. Without this heritage, there will be little reason for tourists to venture here.

City council should reject outright the entire proposal, advising the developer to submit a more architecturally responsible plan that respects both the zoning bylaws and the James Bay Community Plan.

R.G. Persson

Victoria

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users