257 Belleville Street
Use: condo
Address: 257 Belleville Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
257 Belleville Street is a proposal for an eight-storey condominium along the 200-block of Belleville Street i... (view full profile)
Learn more about 257 Belleville Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay - Victoria] 257 Belleville (Admiral Inn site) | 29.5m | 8-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#141 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

This project is still a go. I will know more next week.

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Alan Lowe is now the architect, I believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

Does it still have a bold design or are they going to mar the neighbourhood with something that old ladies thinks "fits in" ?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#144 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

It won't be as bold as the pyramid but then nothing could be.

#145 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

New Admiral’s Inn development seeks approval

By Robert Randall • Published on Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The infamous pyramid proposal is history but a plan to rezone and redevelop a high-profile James Bay lot is gathering momentum.

This time, developer Bill Demcoe brought together architect and former Victoria mayor Alan Lowe and Bill Marshall, of Marshall Tittemore Architects. Their firms started from scratch and after an extensive period of community consultation developed a design that was less controversial yet still striking. Demcoe insists modern architecture can find its place among the Rattenburys ringing the Inner Harbour, noting that London’s primary architectural icon these days is not the Tower Bridge or Big Ben, but Norman Foster’s Gherkin skyscraper aka Swiss Re HQ.

more...

#146 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

RE: ground floor retail

I live within site of this development and I agree that retail would be pointless on the ground floor. I'd prefer some affordable housing that space but that seems unlikely.

#147 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

Surely a coffee shop/cafe space could be successful there? Right at the entrance to the Laurel Point walking path?

#148 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

yeah cafe would probably work. maybe a bike rental place

#149 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

I live within site of this development and I agree that retail would be pointless on the ground floor. I'd prefer some affordable housing that space but that seems unlikely.

Well of course it seems unlikely. What do you think? A developer would gleefully build affordable housing on some of the most sought after and expensive land in the CRD?

#150 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

I've added another rendering to the article:

#151 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

It's a slightly shorter, slightly better looking version of the 1970s-era apartment building right next door.

People must really love that old place.

picture from http://www.farmer-ltd.com

#152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:20 PM

Alan Lowe, the architect for this project, forwarded the following project update.

Since our first open house on March 24, 2010 last year, we have been working with the James Bay Neighbourhood Association, the City of Victoria, our neighbours and the business community to design a building on the Admiral Inn site that fits into the neighbourhood and will be an asset to the community. The feedback that we received through the consultative process has been helpful in shaping the design of the project.

Our project went to the Governance and Priorities Committee ( GPC ) at the City on November 17th and Council on November 24th. At the Council meeting, City Council requested that a third party independent economic analysis of the project and the value of the lift in density be reviewed. This report has now been completed and will be presented to Council in-camera at there GPC meeting on March 17th.

We have also completed our design for the project and we have submitted our plans to the City for a Development Permit Application. The Development Permit Application will proceed in parallel with the Rezoning Application.

We would like to invite you to see our Development Permit plans. We are holding an open house at the James Bay New Horizons, 234 Menzies Street, from 5:00 – 6:30 pm on Tuesday March 8th.

We look forward to sharing our plans with you at that time.

Alan
Alan Lowe Architect Inc.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:24 AM

Alan Lowe has forwarded the below renderings to us. Just a reminder that this project is heading for its public hearing on Thursday at City Hall.

Know it all.

#154 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

It's a slightly shorter, slightly better looking version of the 1970s-era apartment building right next door.

People must really love that old place.

Indeed. The design for this one really needed to be a significant departure from the design of the hulk next door.

Instead, it's an homage.

#155 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

At first I thought buildings had to badly ape any local heritage they are built near, now they have to copy ANY building they are near? Have we really gotten to the point in architectural creativity in this city that every new building is demanded to be an architectural chameleon or get denied for "not fitting in" ? Would the city be happy if we just took a couple designs from the Songhees and developed an official pattern off of them? Toss some mock-tudor elements on some Panelák style construction and mass produce it? I don't get what the city wants, but I have a feeling they don't know either, other than "no change"

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#156 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

The way that things happen to be right at this particular moment is the way that things should be.

We should start referring to that part of James Bay as the Larbrowbri district. Large brown brick buildings.

#157 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:02 PM

I certainly hope Pam has a chance to demand that the brick in this project gets changed to a lovely chocolate brown. This golden colour will just not do!

#158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

All snarking aside, it looks pretty good unto itself. I just wish we could replace the older building with this one instead of building this one right next to the older building.

I'd also like to see the side of the building that faces the street.

#159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

I'd also like to see the side of the building that faces the street.

A sketchy rendering of the Belleville Street facade is available in the subject header at the top of this thread.

#160 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

I really like that big old 1970s brick condo buildings. I would love to live in it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users