Photo

Central Government Street for pedestrians only?

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:07 PM

Bastion Square is fine with no cars cruising down it at 4am.

What do you mean? I drive to the Upstairs Lounge all the time. You mean Bastion Square is pedestrian-only...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

Let's not forget Victoria is a very small city compared to, say, Montreal or Madrid...

I always forget that. Must be all of the new highrise condos that have thrown me off.

Now that Victorian's have to arch their necks up to see five new buildings I can see how their perception has changed. Has anyone bothered to think of the children?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

What I mean is no one is getting stabbed or anything because you can't drive through Bastion square. I am sure that Government street would be plenty busy into the evening. Once some more of theose t-shirt shops close up and are filled in by cafes restatuants etc. because this will happen. It will be even better.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

Bastion Square is fine with no cars cruising down it at 4am.

What do you mean? I drive to the Upstairs Lounge all the time. You mean Bastion Square is pedestrian-only...

.... :smt045 come to think of it, one time I did run into some opposition....

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:33 PM

As if you would be driving a Renault!

^I wonder if that would happen if you were to park on top of an automatic bollard when it was down.

Yep, sidewalk restaurants would be a huge improvement.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:44 PM

^ almost as effective as a road-side bomb, and European companies would be happy to arm the insurgents with the technology for the right price.

I'm hoping the automatic bollard is activated by a guy in a City vehicle, or even a tow-truck, that drives by with a kind of remote control - and it goes up slow. He has to make sure no cars are in the no-go zone before he activates the mechanism.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,542 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

^I was thinking the same thing.

I like the idea of cafes and such spilling well into the sidewalk.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

^You can't get more European than that.

So, we about wrapped up this topic. Only thing missing is what colour the bollards should be painted and fine-tuning the hours.

All we have to do is send this thread to City Hall and say, "We did all the work for you--have it set up for next summer."

:D
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:33 PM

An amazing photo of Government street. It's hard to imagine it with four lanes of two-way traffic.

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

The posts should be spikes that shoot up on pneumatic power after a loud siren. If your car gets scured, it's you're problem.

They could hang the cars and people that ignored the warnings from the lamp posts as grim reminders of those who do not heed the warnings of the Government street sirens.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

I guess when one puts a 7-11 or similar chain convenience store on Government St, people think that they are in the suburbs..

Chap had a mini-van parked on the sidewalk in front of the Government St and Broughton location 8:00 am ish this am.. getting his coffee..

Humpth!!!

#32 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

This is what we need complete with a video camera.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gc2zbhOHkzI

#33 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:24 AM

I'd seriously love to see these things. So long as there's ample warning, no excuse to miss them, and weekly idiot-driver highlights on A-channel or something.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#34 missjanny

missjanny
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

I love the idea of closing Government Street from Humbolt to Yates to vehicular traffic (except for early morning delivery trucks). I also love the image of the cheap t-shirt stores closing up (surely rent on Govt street is too expensive for them!!??) and getting more cafes spilling out into the streets. How European and how much more updated for our city. Having no vehicles going up that stretch of Government Street means much more room for tourists and pedestrians than on the overcrowded sidewalks. Come on Victoria, spice it up a little, move out of the same-old comfort zone.

#35 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:34 AM

Found it!!!

Some damn funny bollard action [url=http://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/flvplayer.swf?file=http://media.biertijd.com/movies/200610/onderen.flv&autostart=true&fs=true%3Ehttp://www.biertijd.com/mediaplayer/flvplayer.swf?file=http://media.biertijd.com/movies/200610/onderen.flv&autostart=true&fs=true:2bfc2]HERE[/url:2bfc2].

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:02 PM

I thought I'd re-inject some life into this thread since there have been some exciting developments on and around Government Street.
The new London-style pub and other businesses have moved-in, showing confidence that the street can sustain a healthy year-round business.
I think now we have some good momentum to seriously consider closing portions of the street to vehicular traffic. There's little disadvantage to doing this as long as loading vehicles have access early in the day. (Most loading and offloading happens currently early in the morning as it is.) There still could be limited access for certain loading vehicles all day, if needed.
It would be of minimal disadvantage to private vehicles. All major arterial roads can still remain open, and since there is no parking allowed in most of the this portion of Government St., parking would hardly be compromised.
This would cost very little. Put a couple gates up, remove some traffic lights - Bob's your Uncle! The physicalness of the street can be changed over time to more pedestrian oriented materials, (cobblestone, brick, benches in the center of the street, small artisan and food booths in the center, etc.)

Here's a map of the portions of Government that I feel should be closed to vehicles:

I just can't see why we shouldn't consider this.

#37 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

I think just the current one-way section of the street should be blocked off to cars. That would be the least disruptive imo; that section goes from 4 lanes to two, then finally to... none.

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

I just can't see why we shouldn't consider this.

I think there's a legitimate possibility that at certain times of the night the absence of vehicle traffic would make that stretch of Government very quiet and potentially dangerous for people. I'd prefer it if the roadway re-opened at 11pm or midnight or something like that.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,542 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

Open it back up at 7PM in the winter months and 10PM in the summer.

I agree with amor that it should be ped-only up to Yates. Bus traffic and a lot of the flow on Yates turns north on Government and plenty of vehicles turn south off of Johnson to cut through to Langley St. and the parkade.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

I was thinking that businesses would feel left out by not extending the ped section to Johnson, but you bring up a good point about traffic north of Yates. Working around this would mean reworking one-way streets etc. A bit of a headache I suppose.
I did leave Yates itself open on the map for vehicles,

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users