Photo

Central Government Street for pedestrians only?

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

Here's revised version:

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Perfect!

#43 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

yeah that's more like it. now add a glass canopy over that part of government st, so it's more like an indoor/outdoor mall! :cool::D

#44 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:52 PM

^I think that would be recipe for disaster. Even more homeless would find a reason to holiday in Victoria. A glass canopy would turn into one giant homeless shelter.

#45 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

Dont forget to add a tram line as well

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

I would keep Broughton and Courtenay open to through traffic. You can have bollards that let peds know it is a roadway still.

#47 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

^I think that would be recipe for disaster. Even more homeless would find a reason to holiday in Victoria. A glass canopy would turn into one giant homeless shelter.

I was thinking of something like Covent Garden in London (without the pickpockets):

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

Imagine that many people strolling along Government in mid-December...

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

I would keep Broughton and Courtenay open to through traffic.

For what reason?

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

Keeps some traffic especially delivery closer and does not isolate that area of town. Also I think it would be easier to get political buy-in.

#51 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:28 AM

Imagine that many people strolling along Government in mid-December...

I can picture that, if there were stores that locals would actually shop at. I went to London for New Year's one year & I had never seen streets so jammed with people. In some parts of downtown London there are railings/fences to keep the huge crowds on the sidewalks. If they weren't there it would be impossible for cars & buses to get anywhere. Think "Victoria Day Parade" crowds for blocks in every direction, except all those people were going somewhere or doing something, and convoys of double-decker buses lined up in the street.

#52 hungryryno

hungryryno
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

Government is closed Pandora to Fisgard to vehicle traffic on Summer Sundays for the market.

Why not have Government closed to vehicles from Humboldt Street to Fisgard??? It is a very popular idea in Europe to have one street for people to enjoy without the thought of cars endangering them.

Heck, even Calgary, the most "Americanized" city in Canada has the 8th Avenue South pedestrian mall.

Let's do it!

#53 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:29 AM

Buses and private vehicles depend on that portion of Government too much for it to be closed. The last thing we want is to cause havoc and piss people off.
I think the key is to close only portions of Government that are undoubtedly redundant. The portion chosen should be the least controversial as possible - otherwise our local politicians wouldn't champion such a plan.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

Re: amor de cosmos
The thing about Covent Garden is that they close it at night. You wouldn't be able to close an enclosed Government St.
They tried something similar in Ottawa. They canopied a popular shopping district on Rideau St. under glass. They found that it was a magnet for crime and the homeless to the point that they were forced to remove it a few short years later and sell the glass to a neighbouring town for their future train station.

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

^ Not to mention Victoria's own failed experiment along Yates Street in the 1980's.

#56 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

Re: amor de cosmos
The thing about Covent Garden is that they close it at night. You wouldn't be able to close an enclosed Government St.
They tried something similar in Ottawa. They canopied a popular shopping district on Rideau St. under glass. They found that it was a magnet for crime and the homeless to the point that they were forced to remove it a few short years later and sell the glass to a neighbouring town for their future train station.

Well that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. I still like the idea of closing Govt St to private vehicles from Humboldt to Yates though, and replacing the awful souvenier shores with stores that people would actually shop in. & more cafes/restaurants/pubs. & maybe a Playdium.

What was the failed Yates St experiment in the 1980s?

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

I know a picture exists but for part of the 70's and 80's (I think) both sides of Yates street had a metal awning over the sidewalks but it attracted street people and it was dismantled.

#58 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

We shouldnt let the homeless situation stop these projects from happening. Hopefully the city will do more to push the FEDs and the Liberals for funding for more affordable housing.

#59 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:47 PM

^Homelessness is our reality. If we just pretend like it doesn't exist it will bite us in the ass.
Having the philosophy that we shouldn't "let the homeless get in the way of our plans" is simply that: a philosophy. It will not be enough when our tourist begin to avoid Government because it's become a campground and drug haven. It will not be enough when our drug community starts leaving used needles and excrement strewn about on our most tourist laden streets. Check out Amsterdam trail station at 4 in the morning and you'll understand what I'm saying.
Beyond attracting homeless people and crime, I just can't see the immense fiscal cost of building a glass dome over Government St. being worthwhile. I mean, we're talking Godzillions of dollars here!

#60 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:27 AM

Closures could be good if done right; canopy would be a horror show.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users