Photo

Wedding Catering Reviews/Opinions: Cook's Day Off and Little Piggy

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:09 PM

I honestly don't understand why you have a problem with this Osmich - It isn't like they are doing the reviews under a pseudonym. It is pretty clear who is doing the review, nothing is hidden, the reader can judge for themselves if there is bias. Something, by the way, that none of us here have to worry about when we criticize something.

Also, since littlepiggy is here on this forum, you might as well address them directly instead of continuing to use the third person. It would be more polite.

#22 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:44 AM

They have already heard directly from me through their site so I do not need to hide behind anything here. I cannot be sure if they show bias or not in their reporting at all and it is not about that. They do however have a favorites section.

I have said before it is inappropriate for someone presently in the same business as their peers and a competitor to be writing reviews/critiques on them and posting on their own website. Some of the reviews are extremely damaging and perhaps libelous whether they deserve it or not and because they are competitors this could be misconstrued as someone attacking the competition for there benefit. Ultimately though, I think it makes them look very foolish and there business could very well suffer because of it.

Are there any restaurant owners on here that would agree it is inappropriate? Any chefs out there think another chef presently in the business should be coming in on your turf to critique you or your staff and then writing scathing or nice reviews?

I would bet money that if you contacted all the restaurants in Victoria and asked "good or bad review, should someone who is presently operating a business and is a competitor be writing reviews/critiques of your establishment?" the majority would say absolutely not.

Does TLP talk with the owners of the restaurants when they have issues with something and try and get it resolved?

Yes, I saw the good review on TLP in Monday magazine and this is great. They had better keep up the extremely high standards they obviously place on all the restaurants they review.

#23 ladymarmalade

ladymarmalade
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

I agree fully with Osmich - I am a restaurant owner in downtown Victoria who was recently given a terrible review by Little Piggy.

Personally I believe that what she is doing certainly is a conflict of interest. I believe that in a city as tight as Victoria, where most of our advertising is through "word of mouth", little piggy should be displaying better judgement.

Considering that she is a small-business owner (bakery and catering and eatery) she shouldn't be reviewing other small restaurants in town. It isn't fair, it isn't just and her reviews (probably about 80% of them) are scathing.

She decided to come in to my restaurant to review it on a weekend with a large group of her friends. Not only did she complain that she had to wait in line, she complained that our servers explained to her that she would have to wait for her food. Come on.

She made comments (granted she certainly has a right to her opinions) about everything from the vibe (which is fun, energetic, sometimes frenetic, and certainly friendly) but not in her opinion, to the "lack of skill" of the servers...the list could go on. Funny that her review is the only poor review we've had in three years (that I know of.)

I wrote a very civil letter directly to her and did not receive a reply.

Anyway, I'm not writing on this forum to make scathing remarks about her. I do feel, however, and I know I'm not alone, that as a bakery, eatery, catering business owner, she is displaying a definite lack of good judgement when she reviews (often slanderous) our restaurants.

Many of the restaurants she gave poor reviews to are great and fun. Many of the restauarants she gave good reviews to are inconsistent. Where do you draw the line? Even though she has every right to her opinion, I believe that these reviews will eventually catch up with her.

I would love to read a review she would write about her own business.

Sorry for my underlying anger, but my restaurant is my passion and my life, and I feel very strongly that she is in the wrong.

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

^Good point.

It would be like the head of MacDonalds stepping into a Burger King and publishing a review of the place on the official MacDonalds website.

(Not that I'm comparing your fine establishments with the likes of a fast food joint or anything.)

#25 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

Hello ladymarmalade,

Welcome to the forum!

I've eaten at your restaurant several times - and championed it here on Vibrant Victoria. I've had excellent meals and service at Lady Marmalade - you have become one of my favourite breakfast spots. Hearing your perspective I can see why you would be angry, although I still think that readers have more discernment then they are sometimes given credit for, and will ultimately make their own decisions.

:)

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

^ I agree with Caramia. The whole point of the internet is to open up ideas to everyone. Since they are publishing under their own name there is no conflict. Just stop reading the site. To be honest the only reason I know they do reviews is because people on this site said so.

Everything you read has bias in it. Part of life is being able to think critically.

People listen to movie reviews on tv stations that are owned by movie companies.

People read product reviews in magazines owned in part by corporations that produce the same products.

I take everything I read with a grain of salt and think my fellow citizen is just as smart as me so it all works out.

#27 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

Are any of the contributors to this thread (besides LM and TLP) presently in the restaurant (meaning cafe, bakery, bar, catering etc) business?

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

I'm not but I worked in the restaurant industry for 12 years before becoming a g-man.

#29 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

I thought I would probe a bit more on this subject with some local establishments. I have contacted a variety of them that were reviewed by them and one reply just came in and this is what they said of TLP owners and their reviews:

Christabel Padmore and her dining companion are renowned arrogant "foodies".

Concisely, our thoughts are that such reviews are meaningless. These people act under the pretense that they are qualified professionals, when in fact, they are not. Therefore, their reviews carry no more weight than you or I leaving a movie review on a popular site for local movie theatres. They are basically wrinting for themselves, and their close friends, however it must be said that they have every right to do so - no matter how pretentious or inappropriate.

There is a lot of garbage on the internet. It is the perogative of the intelligent reader to determine value. Ms. Padmore is deluded if she feels she is providing any.

Well said I would say.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

^ Isn't that what I just said?

Though I would also say, what makes anyone an accredited reviewer of anything, except that their readers agree with them.

I just wonder why you have such a bone with this one site. I mean I am sure that plenty of people hate my and others opinions of projects displayed on this website but are people going on about it elsewhere? Do I care? Nope. I will continue to state my opinion.

#31 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:37 PM

Listen, I am all for writing whatever one wants and furthermore believing whatever one wants. I have never mentioned the contrary. People will make their own distinction between foolishness and professionalism.

The only point I am making (if I have not made myself very clear) is that these people are presently in the business of restaurants yet they are writing scathing reviews of their peers. Is that not just plain bad for their own business and friendships amongst people in the biz?

That's all. Do you not see that as an issue?

If Rob Reid (owner of Frontrunners, New Balance and the Addidas store) started writing reviews (scathing or not) of stores like the Running Room and Island Runner because the staff was slow, ill informed, carrying lousy products, nasty or whatever, don't you think people would think differently of him. His Chairmanship of the Victoria Marathon and his business would probably suffer.

Perhaps one of the small boutiques down on LoJo starts writing nasty things on their blog or website about the other cool boutiques, don't you think that could pose a problem in a small city like Victoria?

I suppose in some way I am thinking that maybe they will think twice about continuing this practice to save themselves some honorability.

I will rest my case on this one and move on.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:35 PM

Listen, I am all for writing whatever one wants and furthermore believing whatever one wants. I have never mentioned the contrary. People will make their own distinction between foolishness and professionalism.

The only point I am making (if I have not made myself very clear) is that these people are presently in the business of restaurants yet they are writing scathing reviews of their peers. Is that not just plain bad for their own business and friendships amongst people in the biz?

That's all. Do you not see that as an issue?

Not at all. In development we actually put projects in front of a group of peers and have them judge it. It is called the advisory design panel. Is that bias because they are all architects?

#33 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

One thing to consider is that because of the way google prioritises websites, every link you post to a website is a vote for that website on google's search engine. You will rarely see me link to a project I do not want to promote. Just a thought... since you did link to littlepiggy.

#34 ladymarmalade

ladymarmalade
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

I'm glad to be involved in this forum - I didn't know about it until yesterday...also to Caramia, thanks for your lovely words about my restaurant. It's always nice to hear that people love our place.

#35 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

Oh those words were well deserved! That fruit crepe makes my world go round!

#36 Ben Peterson

Ben Peterson
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

hi osmich, everyone.

osmich contacted me the other day about this issue as well. we've been friends for several years and have discussed and judged differing establishments many times. he is always passionate about what he believes in, but i'll have to disagree with his 'commitment to the cause' on this one.

i understand the perceived conflict of interest, although because she writes on her own website, i just don't care that it's not particularly polite. you(we) have to type in the web address and go to the site to read it, she's not picketing any patios shouting like a weirdo.

imo, on her website littlepiggy is as qualified to judge a place as you all or i or anyone, and her 'accreditation' is as subjective as her opinions. take pam grant's babble, for instance. to most she would be considered qualified, however, that doesn't stop me from cringeing everytime i read her stuff, positive or negative. perhaps it is merely pam's lack of restaurant ownership that makes her qualified?

the half dozen little piggy reviews i've read were perfectly legible, hardly 'atrocious', and to me her and her guests noticed more interesting things than the petty *****-babble of pam grant. this is not to say i don't enjoy reading pam grant as well: it's like watching someone get whacked in the nuts with a whiffle bat. nor do i necessarily agree with what littlepiggy writes. lady marmalade, for instance, is my favourite breakfast joint and i've been there probably 10-15 times. littlepiggy had a different experience and that's fine: i still enjoyed reading about it.

ben
chef/co-owner
Heron Rock Bistro

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

Ok I officially love this thread - 3 new members, and each one of them a contributor to Victoria's awesome foodiness!

Welcome Ben!

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Methinks VV is getting to be the "in" place for those who love this little piece of paradise and want make it even better.

#39 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

Osmich, I don't know who you are, or what, exactly, is stuck in your craw. I can understand your questions about the perceived conflict of interest, but honestly - until you clean up your own writing, your carping about the quality of the prose on the TLP site leaves me thinking about pots and kettles - and not in the kitchen, either.

Back to the subject: I have had outstanding experience with the catering from Cook's Day Off for snacks and lunches for groups ranging from five to thirty. The food is tasty, imaginative, prepared carefully, and delivered with good attention to temperature and presentation. Heartily recommended.

#40 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

arfenarf,

Is this thing still going on?

Thanks for your understanding on the conflict of interest. I can tell you that everyone that I have talked to agrees.

Now some of you continue to have a real beef with me bringing up the writing issue that I talked about earlier on. Maybe it was somewhat nitpicky however I was having a hard time to see the correlation between the credentials of being a journalist and having a Masters in Education (see credentials below taken directly from their site) and what I was reading on TLP site. It was leading me to believe that these guys weren't serious or legit. That is it. I certainly do not have a background in writing and have never stated so and I do not consider myself a great writer.

Arfenarf, I am just a regular local Victorian.

TLP credentials here.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users