BUILT
601 Herald
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 601 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
601 Herald Street is a five storey, 27 loft-style unit woodframe condo with ground floor retail situated at He... (view full profile)
Learn more about 601 Herald on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 601 Herald | Condos| 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

It could easily be countered by some sort of light system.

#22 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

Wow looks nice, greatly depends on the quality of the brickwork but I like it. Hopefully it will nicely fit in without looking too "faux" .

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

^Good find.

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

Hopefully it will nicely fit in without looking too "faux" .

At a glance, the potential for "faux" is the only thing that really worries me. If it's detailed and genuine then it's a winner.

It just needs to be proud of itself, stand on its own, and thereby fit in. Buildings that try to fit in by deferring to their surroundings (or deferring to popular perceptions about their surroundings) only end up sticking out like proverbial sore thumbs.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

It reminds me a lot of the building further down Herald that was built a few years ago.

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Buildings that try to fit in by deferring to their surroundings (or deferring to popular perceptions about their surroundings) only end up sticking out like proverbial sore thumbs.

Funny, I believe those were the exact design guidelines in place by the City for the creation of the Bay Centre (formerly the Victoria Eaton Centre).

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

That's how development in historic areas should always proceed, if you ask me. Make a splash, like you would have done back in the day. If you go overboard with self-conscious adjustments (so as not to offend) you'll end up with a lame product.

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

It reminds me a lot of the building further down Herald that was built a few years ago.

I was thinking that as well.:rolleyes:

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:47 PM

How does a proposal like this turn a profit ? We're often told by developers they need more more more density to even hope to turn a profit and we end up with painted concrete towers. Do the land prices change so much from one area of downtown to the other?

I'm always willing to fight for more density for the sake of more density, but how do the economics on a project like this compare to say, the y-lot buildings (astoria barely broke even).

It often seems small nice projects like this get stalled or shut down, one needs to only look across the street. So how come a 4 story infill here works, yet other places they can't or won't ?

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:20 PM

Wood frame (possibly steel depending on market prices) buildings are much cheaper to build than concrete. Small projects like this are also easier to finance.

The top cornice will likely be a type of light-weight concrete.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

^Just as long as it isn't Styrofoam.

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

I made it clear I'd hate to see any plastic-y materials used.

Incidentally, today Council and the DVBA expressed interest in extending the Chinatown pagoda streetlight program onto this street and others in Chinatown.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

^Good idea.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

There is an excavator being put on this lot today.

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

It's not an excavator unless it's a Spyder Hoe™ excavator.©®

The soil remediation has been done already I thought and I don't think it's been before Council so I'm not sure why it's there.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

I just walked past this site. It appears to be some sort of drilling device at work. Are we sure further soil samples are not being taken?

#38 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

Could be doing geotechnical investigation.

#39 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

It's not an excavator unless it's a Spyder Hoe™ excavator.©®

You tell em, Brother!

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:29 PM

The official name of this proposal is "601 Herald".

There has been extensive site remediation on this lot, as evidenced by the giant pile of dirt on the first page of this thread. I haven't been aware of the same degree of excavation on the neighbouring Kabuki Kabs site that Magellan Holdings and D'Ambrosio Architecture is proposing on the east side of this site.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users