BUILT
601 Herald
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 601 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
601 Herald Street is a five storey, 27 loft-style unit woodframe condo with ground floor retail situated at He... (view full profile)
Learn more about 601 Herald on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 601 Herald | Condos| 4-storeys | Built - completed in 2011

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#141 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

from realtor.ca

#142 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Last week

#143 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

I could be wrong but I think that this project will have the largest impact on the urban fabric of the city of any current project.

#144 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

It does have a good urban form. Five levels, no setbacks and traditional architectural style. This is the type of building I wouldn't mind seeing in places like the Cook St. village or any other commercial strip in the city.

#145 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Action on Friday

Look at that derelict looking addition behind at the back of the building past the site. I wouldn't want to be hanging in there.

#146 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

^Those windows are not going to see much in the way of sunlight soon. Nice retro 7 up sign though, good thing it will be covered up......too big.

#147 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

I believe that the building is L shaped so yes it will cover up the sign at the front. But I believe that there is a courtyard that the neighbouring building will down into.

#148 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

I believe that the building is L shaped so yes it will cover up the sign at the front. But I believe that there is a courtyard that the neighbouring building will down into.

Thanks for that G-Man, I have always had thoughts of those that used to have a view.....then nothing. Kinda like the offices on the north side of the Jack Davis Building if the Radius ever get's built.

#149 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

Here are a couple more photos also from the 22nd

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#150 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

I could be wrong but I think that this project will have the largest impact on the urban fabric of the city of any current project.

I hope you are right and that its successful enough to encourage more in this area. This part of town has so much potential, and I really like the direction this building is pointing...

#151 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:00 AM

This project is coming along now finally the second floor is almost done. I am wondering with this building and possibly the Kunju next door that it is time for the CoV to consider putting a signal at the intersection of Herald and Government or at the very least a pedestrian controlled light so that people can walk along Herald uninterrupted from Store to the Bay Building.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#152 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

I'm sure Engineering will be keeping an eye on it because a light has been suggested in the past. They may start with a crosswalk and see how that goes first.

This may be last last few days for the 7Up sign.

#153 SP!RE

SP!RE
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:02 AM

Good to hear that this one's coming along nicely. It certainly is an attractive project... one of the better ones I've seen around these boards. :)

#154 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:12 PM

Here is a snap of the 7 up sign next to the project.

#155 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

I love these little low-rise in-fills. When city hall isn't stupid or regressive you can get a decent density and nice architecture out of a small lot. There's about 4 in-fills under 10 stories coming down the pipe and I'm enjoying them all. Not to sound too pammy, but I think Victoria is quite suited to high density low-rise architecture similar to that in much of europe. The problem is that city hall seems to want the low-rise without the density angle.

What's the FSR on this guy anyways?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#156 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

I love these little low-rise in-fills. When city hall isn't stupid or regressive you can get a decent density and nice architecture out of a small lot. There's about 4 in-fills under 10 stories coming down the pipe and I'm enjoying them all. Not to sound too pammy, but I think Victoria is quite suited to high density low-rise architecture similar to that in much of europe.

There was also that one completed on Fort St and the one completed on Broughton last year that both look good and fit in well.

I agree that parts of Victoria are well suited to low-rise buildings such as this one. These types of buildings are perfect for areas like old town, and between old town and Douglas, and Vancouver and Cook.

#157 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

...Not to sound too "pammy", but I think Victoria is quite suited to high-density low-rise architecture similar to that in much of europe...

As long as that is not all we get. More buildings along the lines of the Juliet, the 834 & the Corazon, make for nice variety and greater density.

#158 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:14 PM

^ I agree, but don't jam all the tall buildings in the same block.

#159 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:32 PM

What's the FSR on this guy anyways?

This is worth a read.

http://www.bcbusines...nd-act?page=0,1

#160 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:26 PM

Yesterday

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users