Photo

[Fairfield] 1137 Meares | Townhomes | Built

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:52 PM

After a year or so delay 1137 Meares is having it's foundation readied. This is a townhome proposal on the parking lot behind Wong's grocery on Meares near Cook just inside the Fairfield border.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

Is there any website for details of this project?

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

I don't know. I don't even know if it's the same proposal I spoke on in 2006 or if it was flipped. The developers were McColl/Charity (Reef, Mosaic, Jigsaw, Mosiac Lofts Portland).

#4 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

The developers were McColl/Charity (Reef, Mosaic, Jigsaw, Mosiac Lofts Portland).

What's this last link? I think this is something else.

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Portland Mosaic Lofts is a Portland Oregon condo Charity and McColl did after the Mosaic Building in Victoria.

I've been told this property may have been flipped so I'm not sure exactly what the end product will be.

#6 Penrhyn

Penrhyn
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

I live very close to this development, and it looks rather ridiculous at the moment in its concrete base state. Does anyone have any news on what the end result of this might look like?

#7 aneighbour

aneighbour
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:39 PM

What is going on at 1137 Meares Street??? Townhomes, yes, but why doesn't the developer (Mosaic Properties???) have a website up and running with photos and floorplans? When is the project due to be completed and for sale??

#8 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

I talked to the workers on-site a couple of months ago. If I recall correctly, they said that it's six THs, but looking at it, that seems a stretch, the development is pretty small -- maybe it's only 4? They're set on a cement base, no basement.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#9 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

I Does anyone have any news on what the end result of this might look like?

These are the plans as they were approved by council in April 2006. I could not say whether they have been revised or not but I expect this is pretty much it.

Executive Summary:
This development variance permit application is to construct a six-unit townhouse project on a surface parking. Two of the townhouse units have direct access to Meares Street, while access to the entrances of three units is provided by a footpath on the east side of the lot. The sixth unit is reached via the drive lane on the west side of the site.

Elevations

Landscape

#10 aneighbour

aneighbour
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:21 PM

Does anybody know when will the Meares Street townhouses be available for viewing/on sale?

#11 Penrhyn

Penrhyn
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

Does anyone know the eta for the completion of this project? If I have to hear their saws on weekend mornings anymore, I will go crazy. Some days they are sawing and grinding as early as 7:00am.

#12 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

I'd check the bylaw - it looks to me like they aren't allowed to start until 10 AM on Sat and Sun unless they have an exemption from the building inspector. http://www.victoria..../noise_bylw.pdf

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Looks like 7 am everyday except Sunday. If anyone witnesses anything earlier Downtown, contact me.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,545 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

So what can you do if someone is sawing wood at 8AM on a Sunday? Does the City have a complaint line, or something to that effect, or do you have to write the City? Or...?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:04 PM

^^ I dunno, I might be misreading, but 19(3) seems kind of specific about it being 10 AM for construction.

#16 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

Does anyone know the eta for the completion of this project? If I have to hear their saws on weekend mornings anymore, I will go crazy. Some days they are sawing and grinding as early as 7:00am.

Monday to Friday they can start at 7am

Saturday they can start at 10am

Sunday no construction such as saws are allowed. They can however lay carpet, etc that doesn't make any noise

#17 Penrhyn

Penrhyn
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

Monday to Friday they can start at 7am

Saturday they can start at 10am

Sunday no construction such as saws are allowed. They can however lay carpet, etc that doesn't make any noise

The first time it happened they were sawing bricks in half at 7:00am on both Saturday and Sunday. It didn't occur to me to file a complaint with bylaw until I mentioned the incident to someone else. Today they were grinding something at around 8:30am and I was up writing an email right away.

It's incredibly inconsiderate of the construction company considering the very close proximity of this building to other residential buildings. The site is really only a car's width away from my building and when they are using power tools the noise level is to the point of overwhelming.

I understand that noise is a part of construction and development, but have a little respect! At least the building itself is attractive, although I can't say who will want to pay good money for a choice of a floor to ceiling window view of a brick wall, a rundown old house with a trash heap for a backyard or someone's bedroom window!

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

Most of the work is completed. It's not a bad looking little infill project.

#19 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

It looks really good - I love how it relates to the Wong's grocery building: great contrast!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#20 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:52 PM

I can't say I liked it much when I saw the plans at the public hearing but I certainly like the way the building is shaping up. I did notice the ownership of the project has changed since the public hearing.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users