Photo

Monday Article - Faulty Towers - by Sid Tafler

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:52 PM

There's a pretty sharp tone to it, don't you think? I don't recall her articles in Focus Magazine wielding nearly so much sting. She must have been miffed. I'm actually surprised they printed it.

I like this next paragraph. It's one of my pet peeves, the way people want to blame everything on new condominium construction. In 1969 the local papers were talking about the dire housing crisis...in Saanich. There weren't any luxury highrise condominiums going up back then. New development was most conspicuous in the form of countless new standard-issue Saanich specials. Maybe all those suburban SFDs were to blame for everything that was wrong in Victoria? Or maybe things aren't necessarily bad just because they're conspicuous? Maybe highrises aren't bad just because they're tall? Maybe acres of SFDs aren't bad just because there are a lot of them? Maybe the issues are much more complex than we (Mr. Tafler and I) like to think?

Nor did these projects derail some magical solution to homelessness or affordability. It’s not the case that anyone was willing to step up to donate a building to that cause, nor that city councils can somehow magically wave a wand and make affordable housing appear.

#62 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

I like this one, from the Feb.13 issue:

Re: “Faulty Towers,” Jan. 24-30

While I do believe our city and province should be doing more to address the homeless issue, targeting condo developments that increase the population and vibrancy of downtown is not the answer. Obviously, developers are working for profit, and unless the city or province makes it worthwhile to build shelters and low-income housing, it’s simply not an attractive venture. If we place too many restrictions or conditions on development to offset social ills in our downtown, the developers will simply take their ideas to the West Shore while our downtown decays.

A recent Colliers report indicated the instances of boarded-up windows and vacant stores downtown is sharply falling and credit this to the steady increase of our core population. While investors from elsewhere are indeed getting in on the Victoria property market, their units are often rented out—which, in turn, provides some much-needed rental units in the downtown core. This is a normal transition for newly developed urban areas, as generally most first-time buyers won’t be interested in buying their condo units unseen. After five-to-10 years, the neighbourhood will develop character and identity as a diversity of people settle in (much like what has happened in Vancouver’s Yaletown).

Our social ills will be better funded by increasing our tax base population, and increasing the density simply by bringing more people in to live and work downtown. Living downtown is not stark, empty and cold. It is an attractive option offering beautiful city views and doorstep access to a multitude of cafés, restaurants, theatres and nightlife.

Condo living may not be your cup of tea, but thank goodness we all don’t want white picket fences and a garage.

Barry Carvish, Victoria

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#63 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

From another thread...

The RBC Affordability measure for British Columbia, which captures the
proportion of pretax household income needed to service the costs of owning a home in the province, deteriorated across all housing segments as the detached bungalow moved to 67 per cent, the standard two-story home to 71 per cent, the standard townhouse to 50 per cent and the standard condo to 36 per cent.

#64 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for posting it Ms. B. Havin... I was glad to see my opinion published. I had a real hard time swallowing the faulty towers article with his "circumstantial" evidence.

Barry

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Mr. Tafler has another great article this week. I am not sure why I keep reading them except that the multitude of inaccuracies absolutely astound me. Anyways it wasa story about Alan Lowe's years as Mayor. Of course the biggest issue of the last 9 years was development. This of course was caused by the Mayor. Oh and it was once again the largest boom of all time. Anyways I am not going to post it. Monday did make their site a lot nicer but they have not yet gone as far as posting all the articles.

#66 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

^ I read that one. He keeps repeating the same unsubstantiated crap over and over, it's infuriating.

The other day I was at Cafe Mela and watched people coming and going to and from Astoria and Belvedere the whole time (and noticed that people had moved into Aria), yet Tafler keeps repeating that these condos are empty and no one's living in them.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

Monday did make their site a lot nicer but they have not yet gone as far as posting all the articles.

I just spent $1500 to advertise on the Monday site, I thought it was a great deal. I'm told they will very soon have all their articles, plus breaking news on the site.

#68 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:39 PM

Monday Rag reeks.

#69 collywobbles

collywobbles
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

Frances Bula has this story in the Globe today: http://www.theglobea...article1151247/

And she blogged about it for the The Tyee: http://thetyee.ca/Bl...ot-the-problem/

While the research she's writing about is Vancouver-specific, I'd expect the results here would be similar if somebody (probably not dear old Sid) stepped up and did the same job on the Victoria market.

#70 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, Collywobbles. I'll post the whole Globe article here because it will disappear behind their pay wall in a few days, and later readers will certainly want to see it. It's worth reading on their site, though, for the comments.

Empty condo myths untrue, research shows
Majority of Vancouver's downtown units are lived in, although at least half are owned by investors, rented out
By Frances Bula
Vancouver — Special to The Globe and Mail, Monday, May. 25, 2009

Vancouver has long cherished the urban myths that many of the thousands of condos built in its downtown neighbourhoods since Expo 86 are owned by offshore investors and sit empty while those speculators wait for the market to rise.

Neither of those beliefs is true, according to comprehensive research done by an architecture foundation that looked at electricity use, home-ownership grants, and condominium council records.

“It was a bit of a surprise to us to discover that very few condos are empty,” said Michael Heeney, a partner with architect Bing Thom, whose foundation, BTAworks, sponsored the research. “There have been all those urban stories out there that they were all owned by foreigners and half of them are empty.”

There has been much public grumbling over the years, with people blaming foreign-owned, empty condos for contributing to the city's exceptionally tight housing market. Last fall, when Gregor Robertson was campaigning for the mayor's job, which he eventually won, he briefly suggested the city should consider a speculator tax on empty condos to force owners to either use them for housing or sell them.

But the research done by urban planner Andrew Yan for BTAworks showed only 5.5 per cent of condos, in a representative sample of 2,400 units in 13 buildings, showed electricity use below 75 Kw a month. That kilowatt usage is considered a threshold indicating a unit is vacant, because it's an amount so low that it would indicate that only enough power to maintain a refrigerator was used. When the threshold was upped to 100 Kw, it indicated a vacancy rate of 8.5 per cent.

But even that, Mr. Yan said, is within normal parameters, because it's likely that any city sees some vacancy at any given point as apartments turn over, because people are on vacation, or because apartments are used as second homes. As well, he said, Vancouver probably has a higher-than-usual number of people who live downtown but work elsewhere at least part of the year, like he does.

Mr. Yan's research showed that the vast majority of the condo units are lived in, although at least half are owned by investors and rented out. The statistics from homeowner grants and B.C. Assessment Authority information indicated anywhere from 52 to 61 per cent of downtown condos are investor-owned.

The study also showed that of the investors who rent them out, few were from outside Canada: Eight-seven per cent of the units were owned by investors from Canada and half of those Canadian investors were from the Lower Mainland.

However, that high level of investor buying has distorted the market to the detriment of Vancouver families, said Mr. Heeney. Investors tend to prefer small one-bedrooms that they believe they can rent out easily. That's creating a downtown that has little room for families, except those willing to squeeze into small places.

“The city has a plethora of small units because a high proportion of the buyers are investors. And developments have made so much money selling to those investors that they're reluctant to change,” he said. “But that doesn't serve people with families. If this city is serious about wanting to progress, it needs to provide market housing for families.”

Mr. Heeney, who is also a member of the Vancouver Economic Development Commission, said the reality of Vancouver's economy is that it is made up of small-scale entrepreneurs and lacks big head-office-style businesses.

The people who work in those start-ups need the kinds of places to live that they're not finding, which is inhibiting the city's economic development, he said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users