Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

Any idea what the west side of the building will look like? I only recall seeing renderings showing the north, south and east facades.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:20 PM

You're right, Mike, it's not in the St. Andrew's pdf. I'll ask for that.

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

I imagine the Broughton St. parkade will be there for a long time to come, so the Kirk Hall office building could have large windows on it's west side, looking towards the harbour.

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

Are they allowed to build that tall? If so, then concerns about the impact of the Broughton Street proposal on the view of the church tower would seem to be misplaced.

Actually, even if this building were a few stories shorter it would still block views of the church tower from the inner harbour.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

And so the question begs to be asked...."What gives the church tower precedence over any other structure as viewed from the harbour?"

#48 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

Kirk Hall Tower regardless of its height will be a vast improvement to the area from the current building that is there. I think everytime I've walked by there late at night there is either someone sleeping in the door or urinating somewhere around the building...a new office building will most certainly improve that spot, and honestly its a church spiral?...its the church thats building the office tower, I fail to see why that'd even be an issue? Would you rather people visitors see a church spiral from the harbour or a homeless or drunken individual urinating against the side of the building ( and yes I know it happens all over the city, but I'm just saying from my personal observations, it seems to happen in that area a lot more often than others because its lack of vibrancy and use in comparison to buildings like Sussex and St Andrews Square etc etc

#49 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:55 AM

And so the question begs to be asked...."What gives the church tower precedence over any other structure as viewed from the harbour?"

good question

#50 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hundreds of buildings downtown are blocked by hundreds of other buildings. Short of having only 1 row of buildings along the harbour we will always block some buildings from others depending on the angle. Which buildings "deserve" to be seen over others from this very specific view is pretty darn subjective. This church has many dramatic angles it is viewed from all over the area, this building will only block the view of it from one angle. One could say from certain angles along douglas this blasted church will block views of the new office building. It's really a non-issue.

No one gets to enjoy the view from the church's spire, but many will enjoy the view from this new office building. Hundreds of people will be blessed with lovely views where none existed before. Great!

PS
I really like this rendering. I had trouble fully envisioning this site until I saw this. It's a reasonable handsome little project. I'm not a huge fan of a church getting into the development business but I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend in this situation.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

Indeed, it's a futile exercise to try to protect all views of a particular landmark from all angles and distances.

It just occurred to me that in this case (unlike the Broughton Street proposal) the proposed building is actually taller than the adjacent historic landmark. The church has been the tallest thing in that little quarter there for ~120 years.

Now that I mention it, I think this proposed building would be the tallest thing downtown west of Douglas (in other words, the tallest thing in the old town). Methinks only the Empress Hotel would be taller, but then again this building is up the hill a bit so it might indeed be the highest point west of Douglas. That's a pretty significant precedent.

#52 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

^Yes, it's significant enough that I expect the year this building is finished, there will be nary a tourist downtown as a result. Locals will be forced to cower from it's fierce might as well. It almost sounds like you are starting to side with the nimby's on this one Aastra. Are you feeling okay? :confused:

The church doesn't get precedence over any other structure seen from the inner harbour. What gets precedence are nimby morons that make a big noisy stink about ridiculous things like this. And exactly how many people do you think really cherish the view of that church's steeple from the inner harbour every day? three? five? Whatever the number, I can assure you it's miniscule and it's not like the church is going to suddenly disappear. If you want to see the church you can get a very nice view of it at Douglas and Broughton, i'm pretty sure it's still there. From the inner harbour most people see the Empress and the Legislature. The more perceptive ones catch the Royal BC Museum, the Belmont Building and the Tourist Info Centre......and that's about it. You know what would be nice? If people that oppose development like this would just be honest and admit that their far-fetched, wild-eyed, ridiculous arguments against construction aren't really the issue, the issue is that they are stubborn morons who are filled with fear so they are opposed to any kind of change. Of course rather than be honest with us and themselves, everyone dances to their tune and i'm ****ing sick of it. Are local politicians such pansies that they can't just disregard these idiots for the far greater good of development and growth?

#53 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

I didn't even know the church could be seen from the harbour

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Phil, I think I'm going to have to dig up some remedial English courses for you as well because it seems like your comprehension has suddenly degraded to a preschool level.

Obviously you don't feel there's anything significantly negative about the precedent. That's great. That's your opinion. Your belief. Others might disagree. Regardless, it's still a precedent. Doesn't matter what you think of it. (I really shouldn't have to go over this stuff with you guys.)

If you re-read my post (good advice for everyone, I'm starting to think) you'll see that I made no indication whatsoever as to what my personal sentiments were towards the precedent. I merely described the state of affairs, and observed the (seeming) contradiction/hypocrisy inherent in the concerns about the Broughton proposal being too tall while this proposal would actually be taller. If somebody believes the Broughton proposal is bad because it would block views of the church from the harbour, then it follows that this hypothetical person should also believe that this taller proposal is equally as bad, if not more so, yes?

For all anybody knows, I could be salivating with delight at the prospect of a "new tallest" in the old town. I made no indication either way in my original post.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

I didn't even know the church could be seen from the harbour.

Picture by Brian Bowrin at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...@N00/423595767/

Picture by n_willsey at Flickr.com

http://www.flickr.co...sey/1376769210/

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,398 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

Well now that I see that picture, I have to say this proposed abomination on the skyline of the city can not, nay, MUST not be allowed to proceed! Imagine the horrors if all the tourists who come to Victoria specifically to see the top 2 metres of this church tower were so incensed that they never returned? This could easily run into the two's of people, and maybe even both of their persnickity friends. This madness must stop now. In fact, can we not put some pressure on the City to have removed all existing structures that block the view of this architectural landmark? Can you say goodbye Union Club?

#57 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

Well now that I see that picture, I have to say this proposed abomination on the skyline of the city can not, nay, MUST not be allowed to proceed! Imagine the horrors if all the tourists who come to Victoria specifically to see the top 2 metres of this church tower were so incensed that they never returned? This could easily run into the two's of people, and maybe even both of their persnickity friends. This madness must stop now. In fact, can we not put some pressure on the City to have removed all existing structures that block the view of this architectural landmark? Can you say goodbye Union Club?

Maybe the city should just expropriate this land too from the private land owners and bulldoze them all down...I think that'd be a great platform for a candidate (base the entire campaign on expropriating land from the Federal Government on down...they'd be a shoe in :P

#58 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Imagine how popular Victoria would be with tourists if there were no buildings.

And no boats on the harbour, too.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

Imagine all the drug dealers and homeless all exposed with nowhere to hide.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

West views as promised:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users