Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#521 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

I never said that Black Press was on the verge of bankruptcy and I mentioned that the $12M comprehensive loss could be due to a number of things. It is still a loss however you package it though. If Sony was taking a $1B write down every year then they would be bankrupt!

Here is a discussion on the write-down of the Black Press investment by Torstar. http://northerninsig...-valued-at.html

#522 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:35 AM

I eagerly await the next in the series of David Black pieces on the games... it reminds me of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

• Nparker, Matt R. and Daveyboy like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#523 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

Some people don't take no for an answer, especially when it's other people's money.

#524 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:31 AM

It is time for clear thinking about hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Part 1 of this op-ed series spelled out the enormous financial benefits for Victoria and B.C. Part 2 showed that the cost to the B.C. treasury is almost negligible.

Today we want to address other issues. Some people keep saying we should focus our taxpayer money on building affordable housing and not on hosting the Commonwealth Games. There is, however, a problem with this. Where will the necessary money come from?

If we host the Games we will get 2,000 housing units, $225 million of new athletic facilities, roughly $90 million of net cash for our municipalities and a great many other benefits. The total cost to Victoria taxpayers of all this will be $7 million, or $8 per household each year for five years.

http://www.goldstrea...alth-games-bid/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#525 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Enough already, for gosh sake.
  • Nparker, Bingo, gstc84 and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#526 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

t is time for clear thinking about hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Part 1 of this op-ed series spelled out the enormous financial benefits for Victoria and B.C. Part 2 showed that the cost to the B.C. treasury is almost negligible.

Today we want to address other issues. Some people keep saying we should focus our taxpayer money on building affordable housing and not on hosting the Commonwealth Games. There is, however, a problem with this. Where will the necessary money come from?

If we host the Games we will get 2,000 housing units, $225 million of new athletic facilities, roughly $90 million of net cash for our municipalities and a great many other benefits. The total cost to Victoria taxpayers of all this will be $7 million, or $8 per household each year for five years.

http://www.goldstrea...alth-games-bid/

Of course Black is still on about the games because he happens to own the Goldstream Gazette, and they seem to be REALLY short of news.

• Nparker likes this

#527 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:42 PM

And of course he and his local business friends are the ones who would benefit from the regional economic uptick. Not that I don't like the Commonwealth Games, it is the sales pitch for what would be a rushed bid (being rushed is reason in itself to say no as it often prevents proper decision making) that irks me.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, johnk and 1 other like this
"I know nothing"

#528 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

I want to give some credit to Black and his crew. Look, Black is getting older. He has lots and lots of money. Hell, he lives in one of the finest mansions on Beach Drive, with a bloody entrance and exit to his driveway. I honestly don't thing he's fronting this Games bid because he can make a few more bucks or his buddies can benefit. In his worldview bringing an event such as the Commonwealth Games to Victoria is good for the community. You may disagree, but let's not always look for the venal ulterior motives.

• Rob Randall and tedward like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#529 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:07 AM

... In his worldview bringing an event such as the Commonwealth Games to Victoria is good for the community...

Black may very well believe this, but IMO he's yet to offer any truly convincing evidence that funding the games is the best use of one billion taxpayer dollars. 

#530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

I want to give some credit to Black and his crew. Look, Black is getting older. He has lots and lots of money. Hell, he lives in one of the finest mansions on Beach Drive, with a bloody entrance and exit to his driveway. I honestly don't thing he's fronting this Games bid because he can make a few more bucks or his buddies can benefit. In his worldview bringing an event such as the Commonwealth Games to Victoria is good for the community. You may disagree, but let's not always look for the venal ulterior motives.

People with lots and lots of money continue wanting to earn more money.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#531 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:13 AM

Mr. Black's "one of the finest mansions..."
The one he wanted re-classified as a "farm" to lessen his property tax when his late wife grew some flowers for sale.
Told me all I need to know about his concern for the community.
  • thundergun likes this

#532 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:42 AM

People with lots and lots of money continue wanting to earn more money.

At little risk to themselves and plenty of risk to the taxpayer who don't want it and the provincial government that won't support it.

• johnk likes this

#533 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

More bafflegab.

The cost to the province of holding the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Victoria would be so negligible it would amount to a budgetary rounding error, says businessman David Black. 

The proponents need the province to commit to investing $400 million, as well as a similar commitment from the federal government by Sept. 30 in order for the bid to have a chance.

“So we’ve taken away their risk and shown them the cost is peanuts and they are still saying no, and I don’t know why that is,” Black said.

http://www.timescolo...lack-1.22775186

#534 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

He's still beating this dead horse.  

He does not help his cause when he says it's "just $125M" or a rounding error.  

• Nparker, Bingo and johnk like this

#535 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

He's still beating this dead horse.  

He does not help his cause when he says it's "just $125M" or a rounding error.  

Did he mention something about peanuts, because that's the gallery he's heading for.

• Nparker likes this

#536 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

Anyway, at least this is coming to an end soon.  September 30th.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 September 2017 - 09:59 AM.

#537 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

I agree. Black and his friends aren't working for free, but the amount they will make isn't going to move the needle for them either.

This is more about power then it is money. It is nice having a mansion on Beach Drive, but pointless if you can't entertain anyone of 'importance' there. Over the past decade there has been a shift in who 'runs' this town. It used to be the land owners, developers, media 'moguls', and power brokers. It is now tech and new media leaders who have the big bucks and wield influence. David and his friends are fruitlessly trying to hold on.

Edited by spanky123, 17 September 2017 - 10:02 AM.

#538 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:05 AM

"The people" are not fans...

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-09-17-11-04-49-397.png

#539 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

I've said it here before.. if you want to generate some tourism money, take any June and drop a simple $1 million per day for decent big-name name act on the Legislature lawn.  If 10,000 of the 30,000 every night comes from out of town, there you have $2 million in spending per day.  Unless they go the cheap route and opt to camp in Beacon Hill Park.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 September 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#540 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-09-17-11-43-52-717.png

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users