Photo

1994/2022 Commonwealth Games

• Please log in to reply
607 replies to this topic

#101 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

There were many intangible benefits from the 1994 Commonwealth Games. This huge corps of volunteers materialized to help with many aspects of the games. I saw at close range how energized many people were...often retired folks with time on their hands, itching to contribute something, and with a lifelong accumulation of skills and know how. With the concerts each night at the Leg there was also a sense of celebration and community. It's hard to generate that kind of spirit in Victoria, but the Commonwealth Games delivered it.

Well then the DVBA and Tourism Victoria can help fork over the $1B that Mayor Helps stated in May it would cost us to host the games. I don't think that the good feeling is worth $3K a head for everyone living in the CRD 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#102 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Like I say, have a month long music fest in June with artists that people from Seattle and Portland would like. Commonwealth countries are pretty far down our tourism list. And we do not need help with tourism in July and August.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#103 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

^Exactly, most of our tourists come from non commonwealth countries and would have no idea of what was going on.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#104 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:24 AM

Special events like the Commonwealth Games aren't focused on traditional tourism in the same way they're not focused on legacy infrastructure (although they certainly can benefit both).

Special events are televised.

Exposing the City to a potential audience of 60 million people (the estimated number of people who watched the '94 Victoria Games on TV) has a benefit that extends far beyond tourists popping into town for a few days, and walking around the Inner Harbour and up 7 blocks of Government Street.

There's nothing wrong with a music festival, indeed I've participated in many of them. But when the reference is to a "Special Event" like the Commonwealth or Olympic Games, the "Special" has a defined meaning that extends far beyond anything related to local or regional music, dance, or theater.

EXPO86 and the Winter Olympics fundamentally changed Vancouver in the eyes of the rest of the world. It also fundamentally changed how residents viewed their own city.

For better or worse (which is totally subjective), Special Events like the Commonwealth Games permanently alter (by design) the locations in which they occur.

My experience on numerous Special Events, and specifically the Commonwealth Games '94 edition - was that these types of events inspire a specific mindset.

You either have a positive  mindset like the thousands of Games volunteers, the 30+ thousand folks at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, the tens of thousands at the Inner Harbour concerts that enjoyed the "94 Games, or the 10's of thousands who attended the sporting events themselves ... or you have a negative mindset that focuses on the cost to host the Games, where the money could be better spent elsewhere, and things like increased traffic and expensive tickets.

Either viewpoint is totally "OK" in my opinion, because it's all subjective, and it's all personal.

My point is that there is a defined purpose and deep reasoning to the concept of hosting Special Events ... that's why cities, provinces, states, and countries choose to host them in the first place.

Special Events also inspire somewhat rabid positioning, both for and against ... that's also part and parcel of the Special Events package.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#105 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Like I say, have a month long music fest in June with artists that people from Seattle and Portland would like.

Commonwealth countries are pretty far down our tourism list. And we do not need help with tourism in July and August.

Commonwealth games will only attract athletes from those countries, so the level of competition is not what you would find in the Olympics.

However the cost for security would be on a par with the Olympics. I don't think we need all of that fuss going on as it might even discourage tourists from coming here. 

• Nparker likes this

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

For better or worse (which is totally subjective), Special Events like the Commonwealth Games permanently alter (by design) the locations in which they occur....

My point is that there is a defined purpose and deep reasoning to the concept of hosting Special Events ... that's why cities, provinces, states, and countries choose to host them in the first place.

Special Events also inspire somewhat rabid positioning, both for and against ... that's also part and parcel of the Special Events package.

If there was not $1B security price tag, I'd say OK.  

But the Games are not televised widely, if at all, in the US or China, and that's our biggest tourism market after Canada.  We could take $1B and buy an hour of prime-time air on all the US and Chinese networks and run a commercial every night for a week and get way better return.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

I'm no security expert, but given the fact that the level of notoriety of the Commonwealth Games is much lower than the Olympics, wouldn't the security costs also be lower? 

The same way security costs for a show at BC Place are much higher than a show at the Memorial arena here?

#108 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:09 AM

I don't think we need all of that fuss going on as it might even discourage tourists from coming here. 

Bingo is right, some of that does happen.  

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm no security expert, but given the fact that the level of notoriety of the Commonwealth Games is much lower than the Olympics, wouldn't the security costs also be lower? 

The same way security costs for a show at BC Place are much higher than a show at the Memorial arena here?

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games security cost up 200%

The security budget for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games has more than trebled to £90m.

The Scottish government said additional costs have been identified following a review of the 2012 London Olympics.

It will add £37.7m to the current £27.2m budget, with an extra £25.1m coming from the contingency budget.

The extra cash will be spent on securing the athletes' village, hotels and training venues, and providing additional CCTV and perimeter fencing.

The athletes' village will be secured for six months before the games begin and provisions will be put in place to provide round-the-clock security at some hotels and training venues.

http://www.bbc.com/n...w-west-20769485

#110 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

Security needs could be entirely different by the time the games are on.

The folks you want to protect us from might be encouraged to come here if security is lax.

#111 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

90m pounds in 2014? So maybe it'd be 250 million CAD in 2022. That's a lot but far lower than the 1 billion talked about.

#112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,717 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

...So maybe it'd be 250 million CAD in 2022...

It's still $250 million that could be better spent.

#113 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Sure. My first statement on this whole thing is still my opinion - if the money can be justified, then go for it. I said 'break even', but that is, as someone pointed out, extremely hard to prove, as there are tons of benefits (and some costs) that are never tabulated as they are too hard to quantify, or take too long to quantify.

How much provincial and federal funding could cover costs makes a big difference too, as it takes the financial weight off of locals shoulders, while we still reap all the benefits.

Does this pass a smell test? Well, that depends. So many factors to consider. Who made the call that Victoria is putting in a bid, anyways? 

#114 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,717 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

...How much provincial and federal funding could cover costs makes a big difference too, as it takes the financial weight off of locals shoulders, while we still reap all the benefits...

And take all the risks, at least from a security perspective.

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

Does this pass a smell test? Well, that depends. So many factors to consider. Who made the call that Victoria is putting in a bid, anyways? 

David Black I guess, and he looked around and received support from government.  I'm unclear if anyone else in Canada is bidding.  Bernard on air the other day said Edmonton and Toronto are.  I can not find that evidence.

Canada certainly looks good to be awarded.  July and August are hardly times we need help, as I said.  June or September would be fantastic.

screenshot-en.wikipedia.org-2017-06-09-11-02-03.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 June 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,717 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

I think it's Vancouver's turn to host a return engagement of the games.

#117 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

So what infrastructure are they proposing be built? Heard something on the radio about thousands of housing units at UVic and downtown, but what about venues? UVic and RAP are pretty inadequate.

Edited by jonny, 09 June 2017 - 10:24 AM.

• tedward likes this

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

So what infrastructure are they proposing be built? Heard something on the radio about thousands of housing units at UVic and downtown, but what about venues? UVic and RAP are pretty inadequate.

Here is a quick guide to the type of things we'd need.

https://www.gc2018.com/sports/venues

Here's the sports/events list:

https://www.gc2018.com/the-sport

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 June 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#119 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

Here is a quick guide to the type of things we'd need.

https://www.gc2018.com/sports/venues

Here's the sports/events list:

https://www.gc2018.com/the-sport

Where could we possibly do Marksmanship events?

Heal's Range and Albert Head are not spectator friendly

#120 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

David Black I guess, and he looked around and received support from government.  I'm unclear if anyone else in Canada is bidding.  Bernard on air the other day said Edmonton and Toronto are.  I can not find that evidence.

Canada certainly looks good to be awarded.  July and August are hardly times we need help, as I said.  June or September would be fantastic.

Toronto pulled out due to costs and Edmonton initially bid but hasn't returned AFAIK. The list of potential hosts is getting smaller and smaller. Only egos and hubris are driving a bid for Victoria. I would have thought that the media would have given up on David Black after his Kitimat fiasco. I guess since he is part of the media that isn't happening.

Edited by spanky123, 10 June 2017 - 07:44 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users