Photo

[Saanich] Tillicum Centre condo | 13- & 9-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

It would have been nice if the top few floors had been set back a bit or otherwise distinguished from the floors below.

#82 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

You're right that people can be very selective about their traffic concerns. When people worry about traffic to and from residential buildings I can't help but think of the Songhees. It always seems like a ghost town re: vehicular traffic. Meanwhile the area around the Save-On Foods plaza in Vic West has become very busy.

Methinks the traffic generated by commercial establishments tends to dwarf the traffic generated by residential buildings.

Selkirk is another good example. When the office buildings are closed it's a ghost town for cars, too.

The main ingress/egress for Tillicum has shifted to the light past Tillicum road on Burnside Road heading westwards. There needs to be some re-thinking of how the traffic is getting in and out via this location. Right after you enter the mall parking lot there is an increasingly awkward three way stop.

The traffic management issues in the area not a big problem and should be easy to remedy with a few small changes. The addition of the people living on the site should not really make for a big increase in traffic.

Now if we could Rio Can to build something on the acres of parking lot that front onto Tillicum road.....

#83 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

Thanks. Is the Kelsey's moving?

#84 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

Thanks. Is the Kelsey's moving?

They are going to be in new locations on the site, or at least one of them will be. The new restaurant site will be partly under the ramp leading to the top parking level.

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

Now if we could Rio Can to build something on the acres of parking lot that front onto Tillicum road.....

I know, it's crazy that stretch of Tillicum has barely changed in generations.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#86 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

I think a lot of people might be surprised at how little vehicular traffic there is in a high-density residential area like Coal Harbour. You can jaywalk at will around there.

probably because it's too dense for everyone to drive their own car

#87 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

I know, it's crazy that stretch of Tillicum has barely changed in generations.

wow! thanks much for the link, neat pictures.

#88 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

The main ingress/egress for Tillicum has shifted to the light past Tillicum road on Burnside Road heading westwards. There needs to be some re-thinking of how the traffic is getting in and out via this location. Right after you enter the mall parking lot there is an increasingly awkward three way stop.

The traffic management issues in the area not a big problem and should be easy to remedy with a few small changes. The addition of the people living on the site should not really make for a big increase in traffic.

Their is a change in the plans.

#89 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

There even. :P

#90 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

On a off note the Pet Cetra is closing and they are having a 40-70% off sale.

Will the restaurants be built in the new locations before the demolition of their current sites?

#91 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:55 PM

Here's an article about the project.
http://images.google...N&start=18&um=1

#92 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

Until a new location for the Kelsey’s and Montana’s eateries is finalized, marketing plans and project details have stalled

Here's a suggestion: Edmonton.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#93 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Well i like Kelsey's, so i rather it stay. Montana's on the other hand can go.

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

For reasons still unknown, I found myself in Kelsey's recently. Stymied at the lack of appealing menu options I chose calimari. What was served bore a closer resemblance to factory-made deep-fried baby pig uterus. Even the server was embarrassed and immediately admitted it was a poorly-received dud menu item.

#95 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

Oddly enough I have found the reverse to be true VicDuck: Kelsey's I would happily see slide into the Pacific, so awful and mediocre have been our (two) experiences there. Yet last week I had an excellent beef brisket sandwich at Montana's. I think both are cookie cutter franchises, and neither add (much) in the way of dining out choices.

Does anyone know: is it a 'done deal' that both will be rebuilt elsewhere on the property after the condos replace them on the present site?

#96 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

Neither restaurant is anything more than they seem to be, mid range casual dining from a large chain. I eat there from time to time because they are predictable and there not huge numbers of choices in the area. I would go to Sabri's more, but two of my boys find it too spicey for them to eat.

One benefit of having Kelsey's and Montana's in the area, along with SilverCity, is that it keep the area alive with people till well into the evening.

#97 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

The two times i went there (Montana's) the food was dry.

I have heard stories like that from Kelsey's, but when i eat there the food is always good.

#98 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Well Kelsey's and Montana's are both owned by Cara foods along with Harvey's, Swiss Chalet and a handful of other brands.

My understanding is that the food is pre-cooked and pre-proportioned, flash frozen and shipped to the restaurants where it is heated and served. Lots of the chain restaurants do this to ensure consistency and lower overall costs.

Shouldn't be too much excuse for a bad meal although it isn't Cafe Brio either!

#99 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

I didn't know Cara foods own Swiss chalet. Man i love that restaurant though the one in Kelowna is better than the one here.

#100 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

On a more important point, the article on July 19th 2009 in the Journal of Commerce does have some dates that sound serious.

The article seems to indicate construction starting in mid 2010 with completion in the early 2013 to fall of 2013. If this is the timetable, how come there is no display suites available yet?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users