Photo

Victoria Salmon Kings Hockey

• Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#41 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:31 PM

^One night instead of waiting for service in the box we went to that "lounge" and discovered the lines were no better than downstairs and the only food was roast beef bunwiches. I'm surprised people actually buy season tickets in that section.

Do you know if anyone can hang out in the restaurant area or do you have to buy special tickets?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

^One night instead of waiting for service in the box we went to that "lounge" and discovered the lines were no better than downstairs and the only food was roast beef bunwiches. I'm surprised people actually buy season tickets in that section.

Do you know if anyone can hang out in the restaurant area or do you have to buy special tickets?

Special tix required. About $60 for buffet and game tix.

BTW, we got kicked in AK tonight 7-1, but we'll show them something for 3 at home.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:14 PM

We won 9-4 tonight to take it back to AK for the final 2.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

ECHL Opening Day Is
Wheeling At Johnstown Oct. 18
May 21, 2007

PRINCETON, N.J. – The ECHL announced on Monday that the only game being played on Opening Day for the 20th Anniversary Season will be a rematch of Game 7 from the first-ever ECHL Finals when the Johnstown Chiefs host the Wheeling Nailers at Cambria County War Memorial on Oct. 18.

The remaining 23 teams will open their seasons the weekend of Oct. 19-21. The entire 2007-08 schedule for the Premier ‘AA’ Hockey League will be released on Tuesday by the ECHL and its member teams.

Despite having three players suspended for Game 7 by then Commissioner and now Commissioner Emeritus Patrick J. Kelly, Carolina won 7-4 in front of a standing-room-only crowd at Cambria County War Memorial.

Wheeling and Johnstown will wear throwback jerseys for the Opening Day game, which will begin at 7:30 p.m. ET and will be broadcast to an international audience on B2 Networks, the “Official Broadband Broadcast Provider of the ECHL”.

“This stand-alone game is a fitting way to being our 20th Anniversary Season and focus the eyes of the hockey world on the City of Johnstown,” said ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna.

The ECHL began in 1988-89 with five teams in three states and has grown to be a coast-to-coast league that will have 25 teams in 17 states and British Columbia in 2007-08. The 25 teams includes the Mississippi (Biloxi) Sea Wolves, who return after missing two seasons in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and the expansion Elmira (N.Y.) Jackals.

The Chiefs and Nailers are the only two teams that have played in all 19 seasons and each has taken the ice for a record 1,302 regular season games. Johnstown, however, is the only one of the five original teams that has played every one of its 19 seasons in the same town and arena. The Thunderbirds played their first four seasons in Winston-Salem, N.C. before relocating to Wheeling where they played four seasons as the Thunderbirds before changing their name to Nailers in 1996-97.

Johnstown had its largest attendance since 1997-98 and raising its average by 6.5 percent, the fourth-largest increase in the league. The Chiefs had a sellout crowd of 4,136 on New Year’s Eve and their second sellout of the season with 4,021 on Feb. 28.

The other original teams are all still active with the Victoria Salmon Kings, the Utah Grizzlies and Myrtle Beach, which is scheduled to begin play in 2008-09. Victoria was the Erie Panthers from 1988-96 and the Baton Rouge Kingfish from 1996-2003. Utah was the Virginia Lancers from 1988-90 and after several relocations became the Utah Grizzlies in 2005.

Carolina goaltender Nick Vitucci was named the Most Valuable Player of the Riley Cup Playoffs after leading the postseason with eight wins. Vitucci, who coached the last four seasons in Toledo, was 8-2 with a goals-against average of 3.55 and a save percentage of .887. He went on to win four more ECHL championships - three as a player (1990, 1994 and 1996) and one as an assistant coach (2002) and he has more titles than anyone else in league history. Vitucci holds the ECHL career goaltender records for games (479), minutes (27,291), wins (265), 20-win seasons (7) and consecutive 30-win seasons (2) and the postseason goaltender records for games (80), minutes (4,841) and wins (43). He was named First-Team All-ECHL in 1991-92 and 1997-98 and was named Goaltender of the Year in 1997-98 while being named MVP of the 1996 Riley Cup Playoffs.

Johnstown goaltender Scott Gordon was named First-Team All-ECHL and Goaltender of the Year after going 18-9-3 and leading the league with a goals-against average of 3.82. Gordon, who has been head coach of Providence in the American Hockey League for the last five seasons, became the first ECHL player to play in the National Hockey League when he made his debut with the Quebec Nordiques against the Buffalo Sabres on Jan. 30, 1990.

Carolina’s roster also had John Torchetti, who is now the assistant coach of the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League, and Scott Allen, who was head coach of the Chiefs from 1996-2002 and is now an assistant coach for Omaha of the American Hockey League, as well as Toby O’Brien, who spent 10 years in Johnstown as general manager and coach and is now a scout for the New York Islanders of the National Hockey League.

In the playoffs, Carolina was coached by Brendan Watson, who took over behind the bench on Feb. 19, 1989 and guided the Thunderbirds to an 8-5-0 record over the last 13 games. Johnstown was coached by Steve Carlson, who led the team to a second-place finish in the regular season with a 32-22-6 record. Carlson coached the Chiefs each of their first four seasons and was 123-105-20 with three playoff appearances. Carlson gained fame for his role as one of the Hanson Brothers in the movie Slap Shot. The Hanson Brothers were inspired by Steve and his brothers Jeff and Jack, who played together for the Johnstown Jets in the North American Hockey League, the precursor to the ECHL in Johnstown.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:10 PM

This is HUGE news!

Salmon Kings Secure Sibling Snipers
By Victoria Salmon Kings
Jun 21, 2007

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Victoria, BC - The Victoria Salmon Kings, affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks and Manitoba Moose, announced today that the team has agreed to terms with 2006-07 Salmon Kings leading scorer Wes Goldie, and his brother and 2006-07 Long Beach Ice Dogs leading scorer, Ash Goldie.

“The tandem of Wes and Ash is a fantastic addition to our club,” said Dan Belisle, Vice-President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. “It supports our organization’s goals of becoming a prime location for skilled players and a competitive team in our continued quest for the Kelly Cup.”

Wes Goldie, 28, set the Salmon Kings single season record for goals (41) and points (74) last season. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Right Winger is a six year veteran of the ECHL, and has amassed 272 points (155 goals, 117 assists) in 339 regular season games, and 30 points (21 goals, 9 assists) in 36 playoff games. He received a nomination for the Professional Hockey Players’ Association’s (PHPA) Ironman Award, and placed 13th in ECHL regular season scoring last season.

Ash Goldie, 26, followed closely behind having placed 14th in ECHL regular season scoring last season with 74 points (39 goals, 35 assists). The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Center will enter his third pro year and posted 111 points (61 goals, 50 assists) over two seasons (113 games) with the Ice Dogs. Long Beach will not carry a team for the 2007-08 season, and as a result all Long Beach players were deemed unrestricted free agents, as outlined in the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the PHPA.

The natives of London, ON chose different routes to their pro careers. Wes played four seasons with the Owen Sound Platers of the Ontario Hockey League and tallied 248 points (131 goals, 117 assists) in 259 regular season games, and 21 points (15 goals, 6 assists) in 28 playoff games. Ash tallied 93 points in four seasons with the Michigan State University Spartans (NCAA) before joining the Ice Dogs in 2005.

“Both Wes and Ash have proven themselves as talented goal scorers, and their experience in the ECHL will be an asset to our team,” said Mark Morrison, Salmon Kings Head Coach. “I am looking forward to working with them both.”

#46 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:45 AM

I'm looking forward to the upcoming season. Last season was a lot of fun. It was especially exciting the way the team came on at the end of the season to make the playoffs. Mark Morrison did a terrific job turning the team around.

Hopefully, this season we can make that next step by winning a playoff series.

Go Fish! :-P

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

I am thinking that this will be a good year for them as well. Hopefully the crowds are bigger too! The Canunks training camp may help sell some season tickets.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#48 Moosebeer

Moosebeer
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

G-Man, I agree totally regarding attendance. It plays a huge role in the excitement level of the games.

I am very disappointed in the job our local media has done in covering the ECHL and the team. I understand that A Channel and Chek are not going to interupt their programming to air Salmon King games, however I believe Shaw Cable could cover a few games during the season? I don't think anyone will really miss the camera shot of Inner Harbour? Besides they are already over-charging us on our cable bill; the least they could do is give something back to the community.

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 06:36 PM

Away games should be on local tv.

It has a whole new look!

#50 PandaBaby

PandaBaby
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:51 PM

Can I chime in on this? Having spent the past few years watching Giants games in Vancouver, I have to say that the Salmon Kings games are fun but just not as much fun as watching the WHL kids. I feel awful saying that and hate to be a downer, especially since I thinks it great that Victoria has a hockey team of any kind.

My dream would be seeing either a WHL team, the Manitoba Moose, or any other AHL club move into the rink. I would buy seasons tickets in a heart beat if that happened. Currently, I'm having a difficult time getting frothed up about the SK. Maybe someone can convince me otherwise?

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

VHF usually has something to say whenever WHL vs. ECHL comes up.

#52 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:23 PM

Well ECHL is a higher quality game and has better players than you will see in the WHL that said I would happily trade up to an AHL team but we will have to get more then 4000 people at a game oh and a bigger arena :)

It has a whole new look!

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

What is the hierarchy of the different leagues?

Giants vs Salmon Kings vs Grizzlies?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

What is the hierarchy of the different leagues?

Giants vs Salmon Kings vs Grizzlies?

Grizzlies are a feeder into the CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL etc. + college). The top age is about 20. Maybe 1% of BCHL-level players are drafted before they play college or CHL. This is the route to US College or CHL/CDN University - but a choice must be made.

Giants are WHL, on par with OHL, QMJHL and part of the broader CHL (Canadian Hockey League). The top age is about 20 (three players only). Players that play in the CHL generally are not allowed to play US College level, but for every year they play CHL they get a one year full scholorship into Canadian University.

Salmon Kings are pro. 95% of ECHL players were drafted by NHL teams. Less than 15% of WHL, QMJHL and OHL players are ever drafted by NHL teams. A higher percentage of US College (NCAA level) and CIS (Canadian University level) players are drafted, but not even approaching 50%.

It is likely that about 1 or maybe 2 players on your ECHL team in any given year will also play NHL in the same year. As many as 10 might play in the AHL (one step below NHL) in any given year.

#55 PandaBaby

PandaBaby
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the stats VHF. An interesting read.

Here's my take, right or wrong. Not many WHL guys will make the big leagues. But they think they have a shot and play like they do. Some of the ECHL guys made the big leagues, but for whatever reason they didn't last (my husband is an insane hockey fan and during the games will point out why some of them are not in the NHL...it can get a bit annoying). They play for a paycheque. I dunno. I still would love to see another league in town. It's tough for me to get fully behind the team without any real local rivalry (BC or Washington State). Maybe I'll get used to the idea. The ECHL kind of reminds me of that roller hockey league that used to exist in Vancouver.

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:43 AM

^ I remember that but it is far more professional than that.

I still wish that Hockey in NA worked like Soccer in Europe. You know if you are the best ECHL team you get to move up to AHL and the worst AHL team moves down to ECHL and the same would go between AHL and NHL. Now that would put some fight in all the teams!

It has a whole new look!

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:46 AM

^ I remember that but it is far more professional than that.

I still wish that Hockey in NA worked like Soccer in Europe. You know if you are the best ECHL team you get to move up to AHL and the worst AHL team moves down to ECHL and the same would go between AHL and NHL. Now that would put some fight in all the teams!

Ya, that'd be cool. But that would scare the **** out of NHL clubs. They have a great little monopoly going on they don't want anyone to mess with.

^^ The reason the odd exceptional player in the WHL looks great, like Sidney Crosby, is because they are very good, and are heading straight to the NHL. But they look even better playing with and against guys that aren't even gonna get drafted.

#58 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for that VHF!
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

It's the annual Blue/Gold intra-squad game Tuesday night (October 9th), 7pm. FREE entry, and $1 hot dogs!

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

Salmon Kings win 2-1 tonight, in Boise. First ever first-game win in team history.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users