Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1048 Johnson condos | 10-storeys | Canceled in 2007

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:23 PM

Has anyone heard anything about this development. I remember after the second round of design panel, this city panel was pretty excited about the project.

Since it passed the APC and the ADP I haven't heard much about this building.

I know being in Haris Green they are limited to 10 stories, though the city encourages high density here. So with ten stories the development was pretty good. I remember seeing the second rendering from the second ADP round. The changes I saw was a curved glass corner on the Johnson / Vancouver corner. It looked really nice.

The only thing I remember thinking was, it's too bad the city limits residentail units to just ten stories here because this proposal would have looked killer at 20.

That all being said, I haven't heard much regarding this proposal...That lot is prime for something nice.

Anyone know anything???

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:03 PM

It sure would be nice to see those car lots disappear. The dealerships themselves don't have to move, they could just build new 2-story showrooms and sell of the excess property for other uses.

#3 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:17 PM

Didn't this one move to Hillside and Douglas?

Or would they keep both lots if they can't redevelop the property?

Or have they sold this property...I don't know the specifics.

That all being said, ten stories maximum density will create very stumpy condo low rises.

I think they should encourage taller buildings in Harris Green. All ready right beside this lot, there is two ten story buildings already. This will end up creating a wall like effect. It would be nice if there was a variaty of height there. This should be at least 16 stories on this corner.

Something like what they are building in Langford on Jacklin road. Infact that exact building would look cool there.

Still anyone know whats happening here?

#4 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

there are new renderings, i'll see what i can do about putting it up.
as for the staus, i'm not sure, i'll have to take a look tommorrow, but we have had to fight tooth and nail to get this one going, and it meets all zoning requirements.
Absolutley ridiculous, only in victoria.
oh ya, and my boss had to take into account what might possibly go on the bcaa site in the future.
there are endless options for future use.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

I'm thinking the hypothetical BCAA building should be shorter to give the Volvo lot residents a nice view of the Harris Green park and to ease the transition to the low-rise North Park district.

Or whatever that neighbourhood around Wellburns is called. Someone's coined a name for it but I can't remember.

Traffic shouldn't be a problem because it has that weird leftover section of Pandora avenue beside it that's rarely used.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

How about if the Volvo building is taller, and the BCAA building around the height of the Current Volvo proposal.

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Then BCAA's going to get the same "too stumpy" criticism from Design Panel that Volvo got earlier this year.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:45 PM

That is exactly what I was meaning...it's crazy....

mind you, I believe in the new downtown plan the hieght restrictions are going to ease in this part of town.

That is what I gathered from the open house at city hall, when I looked at the out come of the workshops they did.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:00 PM

Or whatever that neighbourhood around Wellburns is called. Someone's coined a name for it but I can't remember.

North Park Village

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

If the city actually wants this "Parisian" midrise nonsense to become a reality then they should be showering this proposal with high praise. Find me a better mixed-use midrise in Victoria.

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

[url=http://imageshack.us:1d4f9][/url:1d4f9]

#12 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

Lover fighter I believe had a photo of the glass model too. Thanks for posting this Gum Gum.

#13 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

That's not a bad little building!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#14 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:31 PM

No it's not at all. The problem is that it passed the APC right away, it passed the design panel after round two...the rounded corner was due to the failed first time through the ADP.

Then council said it was too CHUNKY!!! Now we have this. A building that is within all the perameters that the City has set. 10 stories no density limit. Then council says....it's too chunky, make it look less fat.

hahahahaa....WOW are you serious...I wonder why it's too fat. Maybe because it should be 18 stories.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:24 PM

This is a rendering of a project in Kelowna that bears a considerable resemblance to the Volvo lot proposal in Victoria:

#16 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:54 PM

Holy ****, is it the same architect or developer?!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

Jeez--I like the corner of the Volvo building and the ends of the Kelowna one. I like how the balconies wrap around.

Combine them and I think you'd have one fine building.

Herb, are you listening?

:)

#18 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:55 AM

That building probably didn't have to go through all the hoops that the volvo lot did, and the architect may have the options of doing what he likes,if we had wrap around balconies who know what various levels of government would say at this point.(APC, ADP, Council)

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:14 PM

I have to say though that the proposal for this site it too short. Make it 15 stories and slimmer and we can talk.

NO MORE FAT SCRAPERS!

#20 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

I second that, Down with the Fatscraper!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users