Commercial

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Would it fair to say it's stalled, then? I just need to peg a status on this thread is all :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#182 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

I would categories it as SI : Simple Incompetence.

#183 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

Well I would say that this mess couldn't have been handled worse. Tomorrow is the last day for the Mexican food truck. They're packing it in after having to carry the rent for the rest of the non-existent tenants. According to the person I spoke with, they are apparently paying a higher rent to make up for the lack of compadres on the lot as well and they are now fed up and ready to move on.
So the lot will sit empty. That giant hole at the end of the lot is still there still apparently laced with toxic sludge from the old dry cleaner. I am concerned that now that this toxic waste has been exposed to direct rainwater that it has now spread.
From what I have observed, the owner has handled this in such a discraceful way, the city should be doing something about this.

#184 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Yikes!

#185 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

#186 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Didn't get a chance to read the barrels.

#187 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Holy smokes, who is behind this project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#188 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Last I knew Marc ***en was still the owner. Keep in mind that this project began ~5 years ago.

#189 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Marc F a g e n.

#190 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

So the plot thickens. I received this in the mail today.

#191 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Isn't it great that the City gave you scads of notice ahead of its open house? That's the hallmark of a well-compensated communications department.

#192 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

The letter is from Franz Environmental Inc. and there is no mention of the city's involvement. Could be that the city has contracted out this assessment and part of FE's role is engaging the public on the city's behalf. I am not sure how it works.

I hope to make it to the info session.

#193 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

aha I finally found this thread

Low contamination risk found in vicinity of former Cook Street Village dry cleaner
Amy Smart / Times Colonist
November 11, 2013 07:49 PM

http://www.timescolo...leaner-1.692730

#194 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

"Residents shouldn’t be concerned for their health because they don’t have direct contact with the groundwater, she said."

Even so, I'd not be eating veggies grown within 100 yards of that site (in the absence of soil tests).

jbw

#195 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm guessing Mark never tested properly prior to buying that property...when the work started contamination was found and it stalled out. Drycleaning contamination depending on how bad the plume of PERC is can be as little as a couple hundred grand to as much as millions of dollars. Pretty bad.

As a residential purchaser I always tell friends and family to be very careful purchasing in the vicinity of a drycleaner as you never know how far it may have travelled, especially if that dry-cleaner is no longer in operation. It pays to do some due diligence.

#196 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:49 PM

Heaven help all involved if there is a bone or two found. Cubic dollar death knell. Beacon Hill park will become a larger cemetery!

#197 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm guessing Mark never tested properly prior to buying that property...[...]
As a residential purchaser I always tell friends and family to be very careful purchasing in the vicinity of a drycleaner as you never know how far it may have travelled, especially if that dry-cleaner is no longer in operation. It pays to do some due diligence.

The problem is that the dry cleaner had long gone by the time he was house shopping. I doubt anyone buying in a mixed use area has their soil tested. It would have been great if the Realtor clued in that there used to be a dry cleaner next door, but the Realtor might not have known the history of that site. It's safe to say that any dry cleaner is going to be contaminated and any gas station is going to be contaminated and they had a lot more back in the old days than they do now.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#198 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

It would have been great if the Realtor clued in that there used to be a dry cleaner next door, but the Realtor might not have known the history of that site. It's safe to say that any dry cleaner is going to be contaminated and any gas station is going to be contaminated and they had a lot more back in the old days than they do now.

I'd say that 'due diligence' (by the Realtor, by the Buyer) ought to include peeking at a public library street directory from a decade or two ago, to see just what was operating at the location [if you're too shy to ask long established neighbours, that is]. If the street address were the same and known, a quick google might also show who was setup there. eg. http://www.cylex.ca/...s-12527264.html

jbw

#199 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

The problem is that the dry cleaner had long gone by the time he was house shopping. I doubt anyone buying in a mixed use area has their soil tested. It would have been great if the Realtor clued in that there used to be a dry cleaner next door, but the Realtor might not have known the history of that site. It's safe to say that any dry cleaner is going to be contaminated and any gas station is going to be contaminated and they had a lot more back in the old days than they do now.

In my world its called due diligence. If you are buying in an area that neighbours a commercial area you might want to consider investigating at least what you could be up against. I know the dry-cleaner has been long gone, but it doesn't take much to figure one used to be there. It doesn't take much to understand that the area around there has a lot of underground water movement and it doesn't take one much to figure out that a perfectly reasonable building has stalled out.

Call me OCD but before I buy any property I have a checklist that I review in order to avoid purchasing something I'll later regret, or at least doing everything I can to avoid that.

#200 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

When ***en bought the property is was recently a running dry cleaner.
***en has since sold it to someone else.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users