[Fairfield] 325 Cook St./ Food Court Expansion | Stalled

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#61 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, I never go to this place when I'm on cook st. because I never ever have any sort of cash on me. I buy everything on credit card. When hobos ask me for money I can honestly say I don't have any. Every other restaurant,food court, or shop in town takes credit/debit except these guys it seems, yet it's not like their food is cheaper than anywhere else, they certainly aren't passing the savings on. But they seem to be doing well despite the lack of my oh so important cashless self, so more power to them.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#62 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:11 AM

I've also heard that the optician near the pub is moving across the street into the building that houses the lawyers (near Starbuck's), and that ANOTHER hair salon is going into the optician's store.

#63 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the info. Another salon might actually be pretty cool if is was something hip, catering to the younger crowd. ( When I say younger, I mean anyone under 60.)

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

Archive photos show that building existing at least as early as 1950. It appears the address on the caption is wrong. 335 is the hair salon.

"Do you have kid's meals?" "Sure, we have three to choose from today".

I wonder if the old Gray's Food sign is still there under that wooden shingling.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

^ Wow there are hundreds of dollars in antique toys in that pictures.

#66 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

^No doubt. That kid in the car looks like he's having more fun that he really should. Maybe he's practicing idling for when he grows up.

Today's kids wonder why the phone is attached to a string that's attached to a box with a wheel.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#67 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Anyone been in the new clothing store?

#68 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

I've passed it several times - there are always quite a few customers inside (and out), and the wares look fun, fresh, and young. According to observers, they're doing very well so far.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#69 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

I've passed it several times - there are always quite a few customers inside (and out), and the wares look fun, fresh, and young. According to observers, they're doing very well so far.

It's too bad the renovation has all the charm of Value Village. It's large, cavernous and adds absolutely nothing to the streetscape. I think this is an opportunity lost.

#70 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:49 AM

I'm really disappointed in what's happening here. Instead of providing more options for the Village, we've actually lost some. Bubby Rose's is now only open 9 - 5, and the vendors in the old parking lot are also opening later (except the coffee vendor) and closing up about 5. So, unless you don't go out to work, they're never open when you need/want them. Doesn't make sense to me.

#71 AnonAnnie2

AnonAnnie2
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:10 AM

Cook Street vendors an uneasy lot

Kiosk owners have been warned business licences won't be renewed

It's frustrating, says Mark Engels, who has some $40,000 invested in the Mean Bean food cart operating on Fagen's property since July.
He says the city apparently doesn't recognize the value of the burgeoning outdoor food court.
"This is not a city known for and not capable of promoting street life, vibrancy, street food and community," said Engels, who also owns the adjacent Bubby Rose's bakery.

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

I feel sorry for Engels and the rest of the cart people.

How could Fagen not know he needed a development permit? How could he not know whether or not to at least look into it?

#73 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:13 AM

I feel sorry for Engels and the rest of the cart people.

How could Fagen not know he needed a development permit? How could he not know whether or not to at least look into it?

I wish Fagen would just sell the bloody thing to someone who gives a damn about what actually ends up in there.

As for the comment from the local whacko who says we don't need mini-strip malls that house Mac's and video stores: Seriously?! They seriously think that's a strip mall. It has a "strip" of two businesses in it.

As a resident, I have no problem with a destination video store (let's be honest, people come in from all over town to rent from Pic-a-Flic's awesome, eclectic selection) and one convenience store.

#74 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

You have got to F#^$ing kidding me!!! Those carts are the best thing to happen to Victoria in years.

If I had a glimmer of doubt before, I am now completely certain that the CITY HATES FOOD CARTS.

Could the city please wake up and realize how completely idiotic (with apologies to idiots) they are being. Cart dining is good for the city it promotes street life and is really just pretty darn cool.

I want to kick someone in the shin. Who are they hurting?

#75 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:18 PM

Love the food carts, think that we should have much more like this.

Hate that Fagen believes that he is above the rules, above the permitting process (i.e. allowing if not smoking in the back of the food court) and has led the vendors astray by promises rather than completing the necessary paperwork.

City should loosen up a bit and find a nearby site to license the food carts in (any ideas? how about the Pharmasave parking lot or along the sidewalk in front of Oxford Foods). This way the entrepreneurs can be rewarded and the integrity of the permitting and development process maintained (i.e. not rewarding one who constantly pushes/ignores the rules).

Had been chatting with another potential vendor and warning him about potential problems exactly like this. Wonder if I can get some free falafel sandwiches?

#76 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

allowing, if not promoting....

#77 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

^^ Why should I, a tax paying property owning Victorian have to suffer because some pencil pusher can't figure out a compromise.

Food Carts a benefit to the community and should be seen as such.

#78 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

Why, as a tax paying citizen of Victoria should I have someone build a monster home beside me without a permit?

What is the difference?

Reward the entrepreneur who follows the rules, not the entrepreneur who ignores the rules and then claims ignorance.

#79 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 07:16 PM

I say reward the community by allowing food carts.

The monster home would not benefit me unless I lived there. The food carts benefit me because it gives me a unique place to eat and livens up the street. They really should have them all over the city so that there would be no need to use private land for them.

#80 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

I say reward the community by allowing food carts.

The monster home would not benefit me unless I lived there. The food carts benefit me because it gives me a unique place to eat and livens up the street. They really should have them all over the city so that there would be no need to use private land for them.

Agreed on the benefits. Let's put them on public land in the city. Then I can get my Ethiopian Coffee and G-Man his fish (or other choice). And the city can lead on what is a public benefit.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users