[Fairfield] 325 Cook St./ Food Court Expansion | Stalled

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#81 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

Sorry, guys. I DON'T like the food carts. May make sense if they're coming and going, but as a permanent installation they're an eyesore. It's much better to put them inside the food court like the Thai, Sushi and Ethiopian places.

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

I'm uneasy about an increase in food carts. Brick and mortar businesses have high operating costs and food carts tend to move in on their turf and drive down business to established merchants. The argument some use is if a business is established, it has a dedicated clientele, but in the food business dedicated clientele are far outnumbered by chance patrons. A food cart right outside the door draws some of these patrons away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

^ I don't buy either argument. GRT you may prefer a city that is clean and tidy and organized but I prefer a little chos in the street it adds vibrancy. I would like to see more buskers a freer attitude to cafe seating on streets and more street markets too.

And Mike I know you have said this before but really a brick and mortar business appeals to a different client than someone who wants to eat from a foodcart. When I havebought things from foodcarts it probably mostly hurts grocery stores as my next choice would be to visit a grocery deli section and take something home. If I want to sit in a restaurant then I will.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:47 AM

I'm not referring to restaurants, I'm referring to small delis and sandwich shops which appeal to the same clientele as food carts: they serve food prepared for take-away.

Food carts move in on the turf of an established business and draw customers away. I've had first hand experience with this.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

I'm a fan of food carts, too, but I prefer to see them in places that are underserved by conventional brick-and-mortar take outs.

Two questions:

Is this food cart thing a temporary placeholder until the expansion is completed? Or is it a replacement because the planned space is leased for another use?

What made this guy think he could do this without City permission? I mean, I can't set up a commercial car wash in my driveway either.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#86 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

^That's what I don't get.

I've spoken with Engels about long term plans for this thing and it is supposed to be permanent. A giant tent covering the entire lot is/ was the plan - heated and everything.

The question is - why food carts with wheels? They're meant to be there permanently. Engles dropped 40 grand on his alone. Why can't they be small booths? Like an outdoor version of what's in the original food court?

I suspect Marc Fagen was trying to cheap out by passing the "structural" element of the food court onto the vendors.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

This is truly a huge loss for the city I am actually quite upset about it.

#88 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

Quite honestly Mark Fagen is known for being cheap and cutting corners, as well as having numerous hair brained schemes that he deems perfectly normal. I worked for one of the outlets in the food court back in high school and my family is friends w/the two families that own another, they've been mired w/hassles as a result of Mark and his wacky business practices. As for food carts, I think the concept is a great idea if they are properly licsensed and inspected by city/health officials. The problem I have w/this concept of Mark's is the lot looks tacky and unkept, very un-appealing everytime I drive by ( I grew up in Cook St. Village, spent a better part of 18 years in the neighbourhood, and my parents still live in the general area). A food cart here and a food cart there on the corners is appealing, OR a PROPERLY organized and administered "food court" w/a variety of carts etc is appealing as well, not a rag tag mix in a scummy looking lot, it really draws down the village in my opinion.

#89 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:07 PM

Sorry, guys. I DON'T like the food carts. May make sense if they're coming and going, but as a permanent installation they're an eyesore. It's much better to put them inside the food court like the Thai, Sushi and Ethiopian places.

Are you sure they're not just shopping carts "pimped up"?

#90 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

Are you sure they're not just shopping carts "pimped up"?

with that statement I could see a human interest story from CH - "pimp my shopping cart" :P ahhhh sorry its late...

#91 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

^ . . . a brick and mortar business appeals to a different client than someone who wants to eat from a foodcart.

My point exactly. Cook Street Village is home to a mix of people - young, older, families - and we have, what, three sit-down restaurants: Rosie's, the Beagle and the pizza place that I keep wanting to call Stradivarius; six take-out places: Bubby's, Subway, Thai King, the sushi place and the Ethiopian place, Ambrosio; five ? carts; and three coffee shops. Seems to me that we need more sit-down family-type restaurants, not more take out choices . . .

#92 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

^Now that I agree with!

#93 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:07 PM

There's a petition to keep the food carts. You can sign it at Bubby Rose's in Cook St. Village.

#94 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

Street Vendors Bylaws

http://www.victoria....ws_strtvn.shtml

#95 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

So no food carts on any city property? WTF?!

#96 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:19 AM

So I was being convinced that this was the owners problem as he did not get the proper permits WRONG!!

It turns out the city wants this to have parking equivalent to that required for any restaurant. This is ridiculous. Everyone here iswalking to these places.

#97 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

The parking space bylaw is dumb but it can't be ignored just because someone doesn't like it. When the new Bubby's wanted to open they applied for a parking variance which was granted because the neighbourhood and the City knew a little coffee shop didn't need outdated 1960s era parking requirements.

It looks like this guy thought he found a loophole and could bypass this step by installing wheeled kiosks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

Well I would say the fault is split as the city licensed each one of those carts with the full knowledge of where they were going.

#99 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

sounds like Cook St. village is soon going to need a parkade. either let's get one built - or drop the parking requirements!

#100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

Actually most village centres as popular as CSV in Vancouver would have a parkade. Perhaps it is a good idea. I could see one behind the Beagle or Oxford Foods.

Could even put some more retail in the bottom.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users