Photo

[Oak Bay] 2531, 2541 Estevan Ave | 3 stories | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

Well the wider ranger of unit prices the more chance of mix of class and age. Chances are the only people that will be able to afford these units are older wealthy people. I have nothing against older wealthy people but it would be great to see some younger professionals and maybe some young families to be able to live here as well. I think knotching the prices to a higher level will extinguish a lot of these types of buyers' chances.

#62 DesignStyles

DesignStyles
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

Well the wider ranger of unit prices the more chance of mix of class and age. Chances are the only people that will be able to afford these units are older wealthy people. I have nothing against older wealthy people but it would be great to see some younger professionals and maybe some young families to be able to live here as well. I think knotching the prices to a higher level will extinguish a lot of these types of buyers' chances.

More young pro's and families would be great.

#63 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

North Oak Bay-Willows, where this proposed build is located, is already a very strong family neighbourhood.
The streets around the Estevan Village area have a nice mix of older folks who have been there for years and young families (parents in their 40s). My wife and I have numerous friends in the neighbourhood who all have kids under 18.

#64 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

See that sign? That is a business, a spa to be exact. The crack in the pavement is the property line. Please tell me how that business is supposed to operate with a 4' wide path?

#65 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

First it's about saving the Muffin, now it's about saving the business?

Well if that back lane is so coveted, then maybe nobody would have a problem with adding a door to the back, if it doesn't have one already.
They could also take up a space in the new retail section of the new development.

I believe that alley would end up roughly the width of the fan tan. And the width of that alley attracts more business for it's quirky width. Well lit, well signed, pretty folliage - it wouldn't suffer in the least. I can think of plenty of businesses downtown that are at the end of a narrow alley, and they thrive.

#66 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

See that sign? That is a business, a spa to be exact. The crack in the pavement is the property line. Please tell me how that business is supposed to operate with a 4' wide path?

Looks like they've had a good deal with the neighbouring owner providing the extra width to their walkway for a long time. Perhaps they can lease it?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#67 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:53 PM

Are you 100% opposed to this proposal Coreyburger?

#68 DesignStyles

DesignStyles
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

First it's about saving the Muffin, now it's about saving the business?

Well if that back lane is so coveted, then maybe nobody would have a problem with adding a door to the back, if it doesn't have one already.
They could also take up a space in the new retail section of the new development.

Obviously I'd say no to that given my previous position. It's not my idea of being open and inviting.

I believe that alley would end up roughly the width of the fan tan. And the width of that alley attracts more business for it's quirky width. Well lit, well signed, pretty folliage - it wouldn't suffer in the least. I can think of plenty of businesses downtown that are at the end of a narrow alley, and they thrive.

Now THAT might be cool! Maybe go for 5' or more for wheelchair accessibility - definitely quirky tho.

I don't think the "save the business" argument is that much of an argument for the exact reasons you've stated gumgum. If the developer lined the alley with a couple shops I'd be all for it. That would only bring MORE eyes to that existing shop on the other side. Regardless of size, that would be ideal.

#69 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

I agree that a narrow lane could be an improvement over what's there now. It certainly doesn't need to be wide enough to drive a car along it.

#70 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:55 PM

Are you 100% opposed to this proposal Coreyburger?

Umm, you need to read the thread. I am for saving that little alley but otherwise like the proposal. Regardless, all this discussion is moot because the developers have long since changed their building plans to keep the alley in question.

#71 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

Hahaha! The power of names!

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

Umm, you need to read the thread. I am for saving that little alley but otherwise like the proposal. Regardless, all this discussion is moot because the developers have long since changed their building plans to keep the alley in question.

Geez, so sorry.:rolleyes: I only read every single thread in this forum.
But I'll be sure to pay special attention to your posts from now on.

Maybe you could post a link or something so we can see this new design. Personally I don't think they should have given in so easily.

#73 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

:DMy bad, from page two.

I am very much for this project, with the caveat that they not remove the lane between Estevan and the lane behind.

Now, as for vibrancy, yes, there is some reliance on vehicular traffic. However, I live here. I have seen it at nearly every point of the year and every point of the day. There is a great deal of pedestrian traffic already. The traffic into the village is steady but not overwhelming. Busing is excellent already. 2A stops here and 11 is only a block away. Downtown in the morning with the 2A is about 15minutes and back home is about 25. 2A is rarely crowded, unlike the 11.

#74 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

The only place I have seen the new designs is in person, both at the open house they held about two months ago and now on the side of the building on the corner.

One of the interesting things about Oak Bay, something I didn't know before, is that it has no "three readings" concept like Victoria has. So basically you can have council meetings until the heat death of the universe if the council wants.

#75 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:24 PM

The development application notice that had been posted on the site is now gone. I assume that means this project has been shelved.

#76 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Did anything happen with this project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#77 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Nope.

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

Ok. We'll chalk it up as canceled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#79 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

Very much cancelled, I'm afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users