Photo

Douglas Street Busway BRT

• Please log in to reply
776 replies to this topic

#741 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

Just checking in here on how everyone likes the bus lanes, and yep, bike hate is still good and strong on VV.  Merry Christmas and a middle finger from my bicycle to all y'all.

• Baro, aastra, Coreyburger and 5 others like this

#742 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

We’ll take that over the flinging of stuff the other guy prefers. Yeesh.
  • Nparker and nagel like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#743 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:11 PM

No bike hate from me, as noted in an earlier post I'm contemplating picking up a RadRover in the New Year.

Rather my argument is one of bicycle safety, and who pays for bike lanes.

As for taxpayers who don't drive paying for roads ... it simply doesn't equate, as everything in your life from vegetables to pharmaceuticals is made available to you via gas or diesel powered motor vehicles who bring those items from wherever they're made, or wherever they grow, to a location close enough that you can ride your bike there to purchase them or to pick them up.

The cyclist's taxes go to pay for roads because the cyclists life isn't possible without thousands of miles of driving taking place - whether it's to bring you fresh strawberries, or insulin for your diabetes.

Bikes and bike lanes don't perform anything close to roads in terms of service to the broader population, and therefore shouldn't be on the receiving end of my (currently a non-bike rider) tax dollars.

I'm not sure that I buy the premise that the $14 million that the COV has paid and will pay for bike lanes is covered solely by the taxes paid by bike riders ... thinking about it for a second, I don't that premise at all.

#744 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:33 PM

...Bikes and bike lanes don't perform anything close to roads in terms of service to the broader population...

I think this part of the equation often gets overlooked in the "everyone on VV hates bike lanes" rhetoric.

• Cassidy likes this

#745 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

Blending cars and bikes on a dark, rainy roadway makes absolutely no sense from a safety perspective, especially in light of the obvious comment that "accidents happen" 

Couldn't agree more. Now if only we had a way of separating and protecting cyclists from cars on busy streets. 

• Coreyburger likes this

#746 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:37 PM

:1954_dancing: 

#747 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

Couldn't agree more. Now if only we had a way of separating and protecting cyclists from cars on busy streets. 

That's actually the point ... ban bikes from busy streets, which were designed, built, and intended for cars and trucks - not bikes.

There's no reason at all for bikes to be on busy city streets.

Permanently banning bikes outside of bike lanes is the only solution that makes any sense for the ultimate safety of bike riders.

#748 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:24 PM

Merry Christmas and a middle finger from my bicycle to all y'all.

Just be sure to keep both hands on the handlebars while you lift your middle finger.

• nagel likes this

#749 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

That's actually the point ... ban bikes from busy streets, which were designed, built, and intended for cars and trucks - not bikes.

Permanently banning bikes outside of bike lanes is the only solution that makes any sense for the ultimate safety of bike riders.

What roads in Victoria do you frequently see a lot of cyclists outside of a bike lane? not counting when entering and exiting intersections

#750 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

^Yates, Johnson, Vancouver, and yes even Pandora for me
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#751 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:49 PM

I would agree if adequate cycling infrastructure was in place on all major roads, but that is not the case. What I understand from what you're saying:

1) Cyclists should not be on roads without cycling infrastructure
2) Tax dollars should not fund cycling infrastructure.

Where do you suggest the money come from? Cyclists just pool their money together and give it to the city to build bike lanes?

#752 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:02 PM

Where do you suggest the money come from? Cyclists just pool their money together and give it to the city to build bike lanes?

Hey, it’s sorta working for the wall. $1.5m in two days

https://www.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall
  • jonny likes this

#753 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:56 PM

Hey, it’s sorta working for the wall. $1.5m in two days

https://www.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall

Ironically, at this rate it will only take 6666.66666666666* days to raise the needed funds.

*18.26 years

#754 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:33 AM

JFC, just checked that link and it's over 4 mil now.

~ Jasmine ~

#755 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:58 AM

What if your entire premise was backwards? http://roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/

(The printed edition is available through the GVPL, but may require an inter-library loan.)

#756 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

$5.2 million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#757 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:25 AM

So this is the opposite of Mexico paying for it...

• Bernard and thundergun like this

#758 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

Cassidy, congratulations! You've made it to my exclusive list of people that I have to ignore/block on this site due to uninformed/ignorant ad nauseam rants about a single topic.

#759 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

THat GoFundMe campaign will need about 16.5 million people donating to reach their goal.    I am sure Go Fund Me would be happy to see this campaign succeed as it will give them about $34 million 

#760 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:36 PM

$8.2 million.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users