• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#141 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:34 PM

If you're after good acoustics, comfortable seats, great sight-lines, or other comfort based accouterments ... then you'd be far better placed to buy a ticket and go see the Symphony at the UVIC Centre or the Royal Theatre.

The Symphony Splash is a outdoor social and cultural event ... and is certainly not intended to offer anything even close to what you'd get watching them in either of their "home" venues.

There are no "acoustics" in the traditional sense ... as everything you hear is coming out of speakers.

To imply that the Splash appeals only to "classical fans" is incorrect ... indeed most subscribers and regular attendees at the Royal or UVIC either volunteer to assist (thus, hopefully spreading their love of classical music), or simply stay at home ... none of the Symphony's "regulars" are down at the Inner Harbour rendering their critical opinions of the theme to "Star Wars".

As well, to compare the fireworks at the Splash to those out at the Gardens is misplaced.

Christopher Ross, who designed all the fireworks shows out at the Gardens was one of the worlds great fireworks designers, and the shows at the Gardens are world class undertakings. Realistically, no fireworks shows compare to those at the Gardens, because Christopher designed his shows as classically French fireworks shows, which need a permanent home, and follow a centuries old pattern of tableau and interlude. 

In other words, the fireworks shows at the Splash are unloaded from the back of a truck, whereas the fireworks shows at the Gardens take 15 guys a week to get ready, and in some cases have taken a year to construct.

They're like chalk and cheese ... and always worth remembering that, when you're viewing a fireworks show at the Gardens, you're viewing a fireworks show which is one of the very finest to be seen anywhere in the world.

You may see bigger shows in the U.S. and the far east, but you'll not ever see more artistic fireworks creations that those Christopher designed for the Gardens.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#142 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:47 PM

Why can’t we be wowed by popular or mainstream classical or orchestral music at this event? The last Splash I attended was a complete snooze fest with concertos and overtures that were foreign to most folk and the whole time everyone waited for the 1812 to finally chime in.
  • sebberry and tedward like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#143 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

You can't get more mainstream than the Star Wars theme.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#144 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:16 PM

That’s not mainstream, that’s kitsch.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#145 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

I think lots of folks are wowed by the Splash, thus between 30 and 40 thousand of them return year after year for the show ... for over two decades now.

Programming the Splash is somewhat unique, in that you're trying to entertain 40 thousand folks, many of whom have never been to a symphony concert before (but may have been to a dozen Splash events). The last thing you want to do is have them leave thinking all symphony music is "Star Wars", or that all symphony music is "serious" classical works that they've never heard before ... BUT you do want them to get a broad taste of what any given season at the Royal or UVIC might sound like.

The Symphony has multiple series to subscribe to, from Pops, to Kids, to Masterworks ... and they're all different, as well as all being somewhat easier to program than the Splash, as the subscriber to the series has already let the Maestro know what they enjoy listening to, and are expecting to hear ... by subscribing to the series they subscribed to.

Christian, and Tanya before him (and McCoppin before her) go to great lengths to program the Splash so there's a little bit of the new to challenge the listener, and a few old nuggets like the 1812 to provide some familiarity from one year to the next.

The Victoria Symphony Splash is a cultural and symphonic event unrivalled in North America, and has the decades of success, and the audience numbers to prove it. 

That it's not going to appeal to everybody in attendance is to be expected ... but those folks remain a very small percentage of the overall audience, and are either not cut out to be classical music fans ... or more likely, would more enjoy a Symphony Pops or Masterworks performance at UVIC Centre or the Royal ... with a drink in hand, in a comfortable seat, and with unbelievable sound and acoustics.

More people should consider giving the Symphony a try throughout their season ... it's truly a one of a kind musical experience.

Edited by Cassidy, 07 August 2018 - 04:21 PM.

#146 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:03 PM

What would you like to hear?

#147 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

I think we've attended every Symphony splash. I really love classical music, so it's nice to sit and listen and people-watch at the same time. People yakking loudly is somewhat annoying but I've come to expect that. My one beef this year was the pieces seemed to be played at a very fast tempo, even Gone With the Wind seemed too quick to me. The 1812 ended when it was barely dark out. I miss Radetzky march too, good for getting the crowd going. Perhaps next year they need more pieces or longer ones, so the 1812 ends when it's dark out.

#148 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:29 AM

You seriously think one of the most recognizable pieces of classical-style music produced in the last 50 years is in poor taste and can only be appreciated in an ironic way?  And you don't consider Star Wars mainstream? 

Wow.

On the bright side, Mike K. never ceases to amaze.

• Danma likes this

#149 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

^Mike only listens to Stockhausen you rube. 

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#150 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:49 AM

You seriously think one of the most recognizable pieces of classical-style music produced in the last 50 years is in poor taste and can only be appreciated in an ironic way?  And you don't consider Star Wars mainstream? 

Wow.

On the bright side, Mike K. never ceases to amaze.

John Williams is one of the foremost composers of the 20th century. You may find Star Wars puerile, but as a musician who plays classical music, his works are not far removed from the work of creators who wrote some of the greatest marches, operas, and work of art that you traditionally associate with "classical music."

• Nparker likes this

#151 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

Maybe I'm being too critical and there's far more merit to the music than I've been willing to consider.

Know it all.

#152 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:21 AM

Maybe I'm being too critical and there's far more merit to the music than I've been willing to consider.

Well, I agree that Star Wars has been massively overdone. I can't deny that it's become cliched... But John Williams has produced some amazing work over the last 40 years. His accomplishments to popular culture can't be denied... but as art, I feel that there's some pretty exceptional work.

The opening sequence to "Catch Me If You Can":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLDyrun_Cc

Theme from "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade":

https://www.youtube....h?v=8LtWN94DxrA

#153 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

How about that $1 million donation to the symphony? The art gallery and the symphony both seem to do pretty well re: private donations.

Dallas and Len Chapple were married 37 years, more than half of which they spent in Victoria supporting various arts and community organizations — the Victoria Symphony in particular.

Now Len, honouring the wishes of his late wife, has made a $1-million donation to the symphony. It represents the largest private donation in the organization’s 77-year history.

https://www.timescol...ears-1.23417294

• Bingo likes this

#154 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Some sort of conflict going on whereby the symphony has announced that it's taking the majority of their shows up to UVIC because the Royal Theater won't continue to subsidize them with tax dollars or profits from other, more successful commercial touring shows.

I've heard the Symphony has a hard time getting even a few hundred people to their Royal shows these days.

It looks like the opera and some sort of local dance group is complaining as well (although they don't seem to be leaving as the symphony is).

I guess the question that local politicians (Royal is civically owned) are finally asking is why on earth would tax payers continue to subsidize these dying art forms any more than those same taxpayers would agree to subsidize a Blue Rodeo or or Bryan Adams concert?

It seems like more of a win/win than the stories in the paper are making out though, as the UVIC theater seems like a pretty nice place for the symphony to play (if I recall correctly, it was actually designed for orchestras), and maybe we'll get some new and interesting shows at the Royal now that the symphony is getting out of there after taking all the good weekend dates for the past 100 years?

The post above this one (from August) notes that the Symphony just received a million dollars just a few months ago, so they've definitely got the money to pay their way like everybody else. It just seems like the symphony crowd want the COV taxpayer to continue to float them financially so they can continue to drink their champagne and listen to their violins unencumbered by the requirement to actually pay their own way.

#155 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

^ From what I understand, the facilities are rented out so the number of attendees that show up has no financial bearing for the City.  If the City can rent the facilities more often to higher paying clients then it is a win for the taxpayer. If they can't do that and they require additional subsidies then it is a problem. My guess is that the City is gambling that the NPOs will continue to rent the space at higher rates despite their complaints.

#156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:39 AM

The head of the symphony says the rent/fees has been doubled and the amount of access to the Royal curtailed.

Know it all.

#157 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

The head of the symphony says the rent/fees has been doubled and the amount of access to the Royal curtailed.

I am assuming that access has been curtailed as over the holiday season other groups will agree to rent larger blocks of time.

#158 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:55 AM

I would argue with your suggestion that classical music is a dying art form, Cassidy. A niche market maybe but well worth supporting. It's not easy putting together a successful orchestra. No one is getting rich. Many symphony musicians have at least a regular job if not other gigs playing weddings and bar mitzvahs. It's not a choice of current musical trends...whichever one artist and band happens to be hot. If a symphony orchestra does not exist, you simply are denied any chance of seeing classical music in performance. If the Victoria Symphony ever performs Beethoven's Ninth Symphony Cassidy, I highly recommend you take it in. 

And as a disclaimer, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool rock and roller.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#159 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

VHF is Cassidy?

• Matt R. likes this

#160 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

I've actually attended quite a few symphony performances over the years, both at the Royal and elsewhere around town. I lean more to the popular classical music, but I do occasionally attend and enjoy what I hear.

The general tone I'm getting from the somewhat sparse information available is that the Royal Theater wants to open up to a wider variety of contemporary shows, appealing to much wider local audiences. 

The Royal is owned by the taxpayers, and it would seem that there are a lot of taxpayers who don't go to the symphony, and who might be missing out on shows they want to see in order to accommodate the symphony?

It looks like the symphony has basically been #1 at the Royal for quite a few decades, and that with its diminishing audiences and changing times, the theater operator wants to give some other arts groups a kick at the can as well?

There's not a lot of information out there right now, so it's difficult to get a grip on exactly what's going on, and why.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users