Live-Work Distribution Map- An aid in proper transit planning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

This is an interesting map. Its from the article that GumGum posted in the Urban Design thread. How does it relate to infrastructure? It can give us a better idea of how to design a better transit system.

I want to you to look at the map very closely. Do you notice that the distribution of homes and work is very dense along the old streetcar routes? James Bay, Downtown, Fort/Yates/Oak Bay corridor and along Foul Bay. Also look at the density along Hillside, Burnside, Douglas/Blanshard up to T&C mall and of course Government st and Esquimalt Rd. Re-building modern urban tramways along these corridors would solidify ridership greatly and expand it.

I am not saying that building better transit connections to the Westshore isnt important, but looking at this map should be something to consider when improving transit in the city.

Just a thought.

Aaron

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

Very interesting. What strikes me most is the amount of jobs in Esquimalt (DND). That's a lot of workers and really that can't change with telecommunting etc. (which could change the office environment over the next 20 years). You can't paint a ship from home.

Cool maps.

Hey, there is also a lot of jobs in the west side of Central Saanich. What is that?

Wait, and not a lot at the airport?

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:22 AM

Hey, there is also a lot of jobs in the west side of Central Saanich. What is that?

The Keating Indutrial Park perhaps (pre-the closure of West). Maybe the Butchart Gardens warrants a red dot too.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:40 AM

Or Hartland Land Fill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users