Photo

Evolution of Victoria's downtown drug dealing hotspots

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

PS: In some ways, the argument for legalization is like demanding that the government become the capo in the distribution of drugs. That sort of undercuts the libertarian argument just a tad, doesn't it? It puts the onus of force and coercion back into the government's camp.

With the very large difference that the government can regulate the quality and availability (i.e. your local middle school will no longer be an outlet), and the government can use the tax revenue to educate, crack down on residual smuggling, and treat the addicted. The capo's today don't spend a lot of money on rehab for their victims.

#62 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

I guess that's true. I'm just wondering how that jives with DaveK's vision of government getting out of the way...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#63 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

I wouldnt' want to put words in his mouth, but I expect that if the government didn't pay for rehab etc, then the drug user would be perfectly free to ruin their own lives. There is some attraction to that logic - I have little sympathy for chronic abusers since all but the dimmest bulbs must realize it is a destructive lifestyle.

However, we have a socialized medical system, which I would like to see continue. A cost of that system is that those who don't take care of themselves burden the rest of us. Thats why I favour "sin" taxes. You want to drink yourself into rehab? I can't really stop you, but at least you'll have paid a 40% tax on all that booze to help defray your expenses.

#64 Pyroteknik

Pyroteknik
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

...@ Pyroteknik: What's this: "...send small time marijuana users/growers to jail for one plant!?" When did this happen? Seriously? Is this in the works or something? That would be a ridiculous turn. It's not the law (in BC??) right now/ yet, is it? I thought small amounts of marijuana for personal use was quasi-legal (decriminalized)?

The conservatives have introduced Bill C-15 as part of their anti-gang strategy. Bill C-15 contains new mandatory minimums for Marijuana production (one plant!). This is a first for Canada. The law as it is currently introduced will treat 1 plant the same as up to 200 plants!

#65 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

/Bit of thread drift here, but still in the general area../
This bill C-15, what will it do? is it a reaction to the current spate of gang violence in Vr? I've been thinking about this a bit - why do we not have something in Canada like the RICO statutes in the USA - simply make it a crime to be a member of a criminal organisation like the HA, Red Scorpions or UN gangs...freedom of association be damned, just like your freedom of speech ends when you yell "fire" in the movie theater...

#66 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

The conservatives have introduced Bill C-15 as part of their anti-gang strategy. Bill C-15 contains new mandatory minimums for Marijuana production (one plant!). This is a first for Canada. The law as it is currently introduced will treat 1 plant the same as up to 200 plants!

Right.. because anti-drug laws have done wonders to stop the drug problem so far that sending to people to jail over one pot plant should rid the streets of any loose ends that may be... :rolleyes:

Canadians have been pretty liberal for a long time, so it's no surprise that something this stupid has come to be... "Oh that sort of Conservative/republican view will never happen in Canada"...

#67 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm against mandatory sentencing for drug possession, especially for marijuana.

I also want to add something else to this conversation: Maybe as a society we're not meting out the right kind of punishment. We're tolerant to the point of tolerating bad behavior. I just posted in the "Crime Thread" about a guy who got beaten up by a thug who seemed to do it for the (malicious) "fun" of it. The police response (as reported in the Nexus Newspaper story I linked to in that post) was that most of Victoria's violent crime incidents involve "alcohol consumption in the club scene." [edit/ps: Mike adds a good criticism to that crime thread post.]

Alcohol consumption is legal. No one would argue "let's make it illegal (again)," but at the same time there's some weird kind of squeamishness about really cracking down on bad behavior. "Let's educate people instead" - how often have you heard that one?

Has education worked in keeping kids off drugs (or cigarettes?, ...or booze?)?

Shouldn't parents be more authoritative (not authoritarian), instead of handing that role over to schools and education?

I think G-Man really nails something when he mentions parents who are never around, who don't live in connected (and walkable) communities, who overextend themselves with debt, long commutes, etc., and who expect schools to fill the role they're too exhausted to play.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#68 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:54 AM

I have been thinking that if we had two podium point towers in the 10 to 12 storey range on both the Mcdonald's site and the Speedy Glass site along Pandora, people wouldn't even notice the shelter acorss the street and the drug use problem would move elsewhere.

#69 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

alright, your in charge of this project G

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

But what's the point of moving the problem elsewhere?

#71 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:54 PM

One could solve the problem of drugs in the Chinese way, it was very effective, I've heard saying :D

#72 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

But what's the point of moving the problem elsewhere?

No point but it would be cool to get the extra density downtown.

#73 dmvictoria

dmvictoria
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

I remember when the Jehovah's Witnesses used to hang out where the dealers hang out now. They should come back and minister to all manor of beast that befouls our city streets. The only problem is what if they succeed? Then we would have a new problem. Or maybe we already had that problem and it was the current occupants that drove them off? Is our curse a secret blessing, or is our blessing a curse?

#74 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

For anyone who's curious, a chart setting out the mandatory minimum sentences proposed under C-15 – including the six months' jail for one pot plant – is posted on the Department of Justice website, here.

My guess is that this is just the Conservatives' typical ass-kissing of US law-enforcement. It can't possibly pass as-is through the next session of Parliament, but Harper will use every weakening of its penalties as proof that the Liberals / NDP / Bloc are soft on crime.

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:38 PM

“This is a public health emergency.”

Dr. Richard Stanwick says the number of overdoses on Vancouver Island is spiraling out of control.

“In the past ten days in the Rock Bay area, we had 26 overdoses.

In fact, may be in the thirty range.”

From November 17 to the 23rd, B.C. had the highest number of overdose-related 911 calls ever recorded.

494 in the Lower Mainland, including 271 in Vancouver’s downtown eastside, and 81 Surrey.

On the island, there were 31 overdoses in Victoria and eight in Nanaimo.

“It does appear that we’ve had seven overdose deaths on the island in the past week.

Five of those were in Victoria.

http://www.cheknews....en-days-240679/

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:41 PM

271 in DTES, where they have been "educating" on safe drug use for 13 years now.  Who deserves the failing grades, the teachers, or students?

• Bingo and A Girl is No one like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

Her Worseship always has a convenient story to cover when she is wrong.

...Victoria Police say... they are aware that a new fence has gone up in the area and that it could "create some displacement." The fence at a neighbouring site owned by BC housing is getting installed after the online content showed a man in a hooded sweater selling drugs on the sidewalk. Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps told C-FAX that BC Housing...had plans to put in an extra fence for months and it wasn't sparked by the online videos...

http://www.iheartrad...toria-1.2335204

Right. In the works for months. It's pure coincidence then that HB's videos surfaced just days before this installation began? I bet the dates on the fence installation invoices are being back-dated even as I type this. Did Ms Helps previously work under the alias of Winston Smith* at the Ministry of Truth?

* for those few who may not be familiar with George Orwell's classic dystopian novel "1984", Winston Smith works as a clerk in the Records Department of the Ministry of Truth, where his job is to rewrite historical documents so they match the constantly changing current party line...

• A Girl is No one likes this

#78 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

Helps is a Liar and furthermore the fence is not going onto city property rather it is on Provincial Property the fence has nothing to do with the city so why would she be privy to it being decided in August???

Because every time she opens her mouth Projectile Bull Crap flies out of her lips

When I released the 3 videos I also suggested that the province build a wall along that property ...by the end of that business week a wall is going up...the only coincidence happening here is that Lisa is using this fence going up as a form of making her look good like she had something to do with it.

What a loser...She is Victoria's version of Trump

• Nparker, SimonH and A Girl is No one like this

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,174 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:52 PM

Trump?

Judging by his stance of these types of issues, Trump would have a cop on every corner and dealers would be afraid to enter the city limits. Helps is no Trump.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#80 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:31 PM

i mean the way she is making excuses and answers to everything answers that make no sense and are not backed up with any evidence

• Nparker and dasmo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users