[Downtown Victoria] The Wave | 44m | 13-storeys | Built - completed in 2006

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#81 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

No offence, but if you can't handle someone calling a building mediocre, you really need to get a thicker skin.

It's not about you, just like it's not about me when I criticize my own building.

I'm pretty sure I've even seen Derf, the owner of this forum, use the word 'mediocre' to describe buildings.

#82 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:59 AM

I honestly thing "mediocre" is a harsh, but then Oxford's not known for tiptoeing delicately when it comes to evaluating architecture. Architects and planners are struggling with the correct balance of public space and sidewalk vitality. Too wide? Too narrow? Time will tell. The inevitable destruction of the old Hollywood Tonight building will be an opportunity to enhance that storefront. Perhaps a curve, linking the ReStart space with the Starbucks building will tie everything in nicely. And yes, a cafe or other outdoor seating establishment would've helped in that space but there's always the future.

Some of the design issues, like setbacks, may have been out of the architect's hands.

And the mural may well grow on us. At least there's no frolicking dogs in it. If you had told someone 40 years ago a 7Up mural would become an admired part of Chinatown you would've been laughed out of town.

Overall, I think it'll turn out to be a good building. It's fairly well-articulated (could've been a little more wave-ey! :) ), it's a good height and the finishing is good. I'll reserve final judgement until the ground floor tenants are in, the signage is all up and the landscaping matures a bit.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#83 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

the finishing is good

I gotta disagree with that. Painted concrete? That's what qualifies as good finishing now? Those typical bland silver window frames are...uhhh....bland. And have you seen those lights on the ground floor? They look like they bought them at a dollar store.

#84 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

For a recent example of better finishing, I would look at the podium of the Marriott.

Notice the more interesting window frames, awnings above the window, the black strip above the awnings,
the classy lights, etc...

It's very simple, yet classy & stylish

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

I had high hopes (no pun intended) for the Wave when I first saw the plan, but I am afraid the final product leaves a lot to be desired, espcially at street level. It seems dead and VERY bland. Someone might have taken a glipse at Astoria and Belvedere to see what decent street frontage can and should be.

IN the end it is what it is, and perhaps with time it will grow on me. But please no more painted concrete at street level!

#86 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

I had high hopes (no pun intended) for the Wave when I first saw the plan, but I am afraid the final product leaves a lot to be desired, espcially at street level. It seems dead and VERY bland. Someone might have taken a glipse at Astoria and Belvedere to see what decent street frontage can and should be.

IN the end it is what it is, and perhaps with time it will grow on me. But please no more painted concrete at street level!

Welcome to the forum Nparker :tup: :tup:

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

Thanks Oxford. How long b4 I make enemies here I wonder?

#88 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Nobody's enemies here.

#89 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Oxford. How long b4 I make enemies here I wonder?

:lol:

#90 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

I walk by this building most days, living a few blocks away. The painted surfaces are a very small percentage of the outer walls at sidewalk level, the above photo make it mush more obvious than it truly is.

Once the road level tenants embellish their frontage and the little greenery matures few well notice these painted walls but for the graffiti on display, a bigger concerne to me.

Doc Sage

#91 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

Have a look at the wood frame windows on this part of the Grand Pacific

That's good finishing :tup:

#92 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:49 PM

Not too mention the finish they gave the concrete wall to look like brick work. That's a nice, simple detail that really finishes it.

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

I totally agree Oxford. The WAVE street level was a wasted opportunity. Even Starbuck's next door has a MUCH better street presence.

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

The Grand Pacific should have planted palm trees, not cherry trees in the roundabout entrance thing.

That would have looked very cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

Not too mention the finish they gave the concrete wall to look like brick work. That's a nice, simple detail that really finishes it.

Is there a name for that? It's being used more and more lately, but I'm not sure what to call it.

Here it is on the Marriott up close

#96 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:55 PM

Totally agree.....The Cherry trees do not suite that structure at all.....some nice tall windmill palms.

#97 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Totally agree.....The Cherry trees do not suite that structure at all.....some nice tall windmill palms.

as much as some people might like palm trees, I don't think they suit anywhere in Canada even if they might be able to grow here....barely.

#98 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:01 PM

There's nothing wrong with palm trees in canada.

#99 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

Every time I see a palm tree here they look pathetic, not big and full but practically dead with few leaves at the very top.

I've never seen a proper full palm tree here like I have in Hawaii or Fiji, mostly just ones on life support.

#100 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:05 PM

Once acclimatized, palms grows very well in lower coastal B.C.

Doc Sage

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users