[Downtown Victoria] The Wave | 44m | 13-storeys | Built - completed in 2006

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#101 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:05 PM

I'm no expert, but it could be because many of them were just planted a couple of years ago. The others that have been around for a while and look unwell I'd guess is because they've been negelected.

#102 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

I agree painted concrete=bad, leave it bare why don't you!

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:13 PM

Every time I see a palm tree here they look pathetic, not big and full but practically dead with few leaves at the very top.

I've never seen a proper full palm tree here like I have in Hawaii or Fiji, mostly just ones on life support.

Except for the ones that actually don't look pathetic, are not small or practically dead, right?

They don't look "big" because palms take time to grow, like any tree. It takes decades for them to reach 20' high. Since they've only been growing here in large numbers since the 90's they can't be expected to stand 30' tall everywhere.

Anyways, here are some:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

There are some amazing palm trees in Victoria!!!

Here are some photos of the Wave's ground level, compared to other recent developments.

I think the wave is a step above almost all of them. Though I agree improvements could be made.

#105 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

I really don't like the grass in front of the market there. It's always either covered in homeless and their dogs (and the stuff dogs leave behind) and when it rains, the area turns into a bit of a bog.

So much nicer and less upkeep if they had paved it all in a pretty way and just had some nice planters and sidewalk trees. Put some extra bench space there.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#106 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

Look how more intimate the sidewalks feel when the glass awnings are mounted low like Starbucks or St. V de P, just above the windows. No point in mounting them high unless a big sign is going in.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#107 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

Nice pics Scaper. Really shows how much of a screw-up that London Drugs development was!! It's hard to access by car or foot as there is no clear pedestrian access, or you have to cut across a very busy parking lot, etc...it's crazy! Also, it's a shame they didn't build it right to the street, instead of being set back, but I guess they didn't really think of it as truly downtown when they built it back in the 80's. They had their suburban strip mall thinking hats on at the time I'm sure.

Good illustration about the lower awnings Holden. Besides the mural, the concrete walls in places, the cheapo lights out front (which look like the ones you get on the informercials, insert a battery, put it over your bed, in a closet, tap it and the light comes on!) and the horrible finish around the windows (it looks so unfinished!!) I rather like the Wave!

#108 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

I agree, although the wave could have been better it's light years ahead of previous developments.

#109 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:15 PM

Welcome to ms paint!!!! :lol:

Here is what I would have prefered to see with the Wave.

#110 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:21 PM

oh dear god..what have you done with the mural!? :twisted:

B@stard!

#111 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:24 PM

It's bin paint'd !!!!

#112 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

Walked by the wave yesterday and to my surprise the ground fllor windows are not tinted blue as I feared but instead had merely not had their decals removed. So work is charging ahead on the travel agency and the Mac store. Still got to wait and see what happens with the signage.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#113 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:04 PM

/\ the signs are horrible as you've likely seen.

speaking of horrible, how would you like this view from your Wave balcony?

picture from Hagar17 on Flickr

#114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:20 PM

Well that existed before the Wave was built so they would have known it was there. There are a ton of places like this in Vancouver, SF and NY. It is just that we are not used to them yet. Someone at someprice will want to live there. Hell I would live there if I were single and the price were right.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#115 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

I don't think the wall would bother me as much as the big HVAC unit 20 feet away.

The ReStart sign is up, doesn't look too bad actually.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#116 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:09 PM

^Cuadros por favor.

#117 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 07:05 PM

I haven't seen the new Restart sign. Last week it was just the banner...

#118 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:13 PM

I haven't seen the new Restart sign. Last week it was just the banner...

A very modest Restart Sign has been installed...

It was well shaded on that side of the street around 11:45 am today...

Don't understand why the windows are not transparent...

I saw their sign but, couldn't see inside..

#119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:06 PM

I wouldn't want to live in a unit that would be so easy to access from the roof of an adjacent building like that. That's crazy. All three of those units are vulnerable in this regard.

I don't understand why Victoria is getting things like this so wrong.

#120 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:48 PM

^ What aastra said.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users