Photo

1966 movie: Yates awnings, "Mid-Town Mall"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

From "A Townscape Rediscovered" (NFB 1966)

Starting out with a brief glimpse of the theatre district of Yates and Blanshard, panning over to the south side of the 700 block Yates St. and the metal awnings that covered the sidewalk. A view of the Standard Furniture building (1912) that burned down in 1987, paving the way for the St. Andrew's Square buildings.

Karin's Delicatessen, which opened in 1961 was demolished to make way for St. Andrew's Square (1997) (for which Alan Lowe was the design consultant).

#2 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Nice Find!!!

#3 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

Nifty. Could've been me with the beehive hair-do. That's for the memories.

#4 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

I've come across a few references on VV to this "A Townscape Rediscovered" film. Where can I see it? Is it part of the "Assume Nothing" show currently on at the AGGV?

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:05 PM

Click the link at the top of the page.

#6 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Great, thanks! But it still begs the question: where can I see the rest of the film? And with audio?

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Rob should know...

#8 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

I've come across a few references on VV to this "A Townscape Rediscovered" film. Where can I see it? Is it part of the "Assume Nothing" show currently on at the AGGV?

Yes, "A Townscape Rediscovered" is on view at the AGGV as part of the "Assume Nothing" show.

Of course, I'm assuming that the show is still on when I write "is on view"... :-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Assume nothing, so I checked. The show is up till 5/24.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#10 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

yeah, thanks for the video Rob. I had no idea that the south side of Yates also had one of those huge covers.
In chains by Keynes

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

Karen's deli used to sell a "meat salad" to go in a styro cup for 50 cents. Basically it was the but ends of the deli meats cut up into small pieces, mixed with mayo and pieces of pickles and whatever else they had left over. It was to die for. I could not walk down View Street without buying one.

#12 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

Karen's deli used to sell a "meat salad" to go in a styro cup for 50 cents. Basically it was the but ends of the deli meats cut up into small pieces, mixed with mayo and pieces of pickles and whatever else they had left over. It was to die for. I could not walk down View Street without buying one.

Ate that all the time when I lived in Germany: Fleishsalat. The most delicious thing imaginable. If anyone has a line on where I can get some around Victoria or even southern Vancouver Island, or has an Oma with a treasured family recipe for this, please, pretty please, share it with Sparky and me.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

yeah, thanks for the video Rob. I had no idea that the south side of Yates also had one of those huge covers.

Also with the thanks Rob. That was a relatively significant project in the day, and if my memory serves me correctly, the covered walkway on Yates was installed after the construction of Town and Country shopping centre, and financed by the merchants on Yates with a little Government assistance .

In a word competition. My ass could be out a mile here, I was young, but as a kid I attended opening day for both T&C and Mayfair. Downtown got organized sometime after that period.

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

Yes, "A Townscape Rediscovered" is on view at the AGGV as part of the "Assume Nothing" show.

Thanks B but the acronym is not working for me. Do you have a link?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users