Alternative Energy Sources

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#221 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 02:20 PM

Greengate is also responsible for the largest wind energy project in the country, also located in Vulcan County. 

Balaban says the project does not require public dollars to help finance it. 

"Alberta is blessed with tremendous fossil fuel resources, but we also have among the best renewable energy resources in the world," he said. 

"With the costs of renewable energy continuing to come down, we've now reached the point where renewable energy makes sense on a subsidy-free, market basis and can have a pretty significant role in our power mix going forward."

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 August 2019 - 02:20 PM.

#222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:38 AM

This is good. If indeed this is subsidy-free then I’m all for it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#223 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,014 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

perhaps it’s crown land.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2019 - 07:47 AM.

#224 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:56 PM

...661 days after install...breaks the 10MWh mark today...

...just cuz i know you all like the stats - in july, on a sunny day we generated about 30 kWh...today, sunny dav in november about 11kWh...

Attached Images

• solarnov.png

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#225 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

...just cuz i know you all like the stats - in july, on a sunny day we generated about 30 kWh...today, sunny dav in november about 11kWh...

further to the above ...  that's a 63% drop... shorter days plus,

...in july each panel (14 of them) at peak was pushing 274w...

... nov each panel (14 of them)at peak was pushing 197 w...

roughly 28% drop in efficiency...angle of sun

• Mike K. likes this

#226 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

...and lastly... 

production from dec1  2017 to nov30 2018 - 5.75 MWh

production from dec1 to 2018 nov30 2019 - 5.84 MWh

#227 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:57 AM

More wisdom last night from Guess Who:

“I never understood wind. You know, I know windmills very much... Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything.”

• North Shore and Hotel Mike like this

#228 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:15 PM

Painful, absolutely painful, the inability to produce a coherent sentence....

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#229 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:43 PM

More wisdom last night from Guess Who:

“I never understood wind. You know, I know windmills very much... Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything.”

This what he actually said.

“I never understood wind. You know, I know windmills very much. They’re noisy. They kill the birds. You want to see a bird graveyard? Go under a windmill someday. You’ll see more birds than you’ve ever seen in your life.”

#230 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:47 PM

Here's the full quote:

I never understood wind. You know, I know windmills very much. I’ve studied it better than anybody I know. It’s very expensive. They’re made in China and Germany mostly—very few made here, almost none. But they’re manufactured tremendous—if you’re into this—tremendous fumes. Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint—fumes are spewing into the air. Right? Spewing. Whether it’s in China, Germany, it’s going into the air. It’s our air, their air, everything—right?

So they make these things and then they put them up. And if you own a house within vision of some of these monsters, your house is worth 50 percent of the price. They’re noisy. They kill the birds. You want to see a bird graveyard? You just go. Take a look. A bird graveyard. Go under a windmill someday. You’ll see more birds than you’ve ever seen ever in your life. You know, in California, they were killing the bald eagle. If you shoot a bald eagle, they want to put you in jail for 10 years. A windmill will kill many bald eagles. It’s true.

#231 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:55 PM

^ Which makes my point. The media slices and dices the truth so many ways these days that you can't trust anything that is printed anymore.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#232 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:14 PM

Well, I can't copy and paste the entire speech. For one, it's violates VV's news quoting rules and for another, it would overheat the autocorrect.

#233 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

Here's the full quote:

I never understood wind. You know, I know windmills very much. I’ve studied it better than anybody I know. It’s very expensive. They’re made in China and Germany mostly—very few made here, almost none. But they’re manufactured tremendous—if you’re into this—tremendous fumes. Gases are spewing into the atmosphere. You know we have a world, right? So the world is tiny compared to the universe. So tremendous, tremendous amount of fumes and everything. You talk about the carbon footprint—fumes are spewing into the air. Right? Spewing. Whether it’s in China, Germany, it’s going into the air. It’s our air, their air, everything—right?

So they make these things and then they put them up. And if you own a house within vision of some of these monsters, your house is worth 50 percent of the price. They’re noisy. They kill the birds. You want to see a bird graveyard? You just go. Take a look. A bird graveyard. Go under a windmill someday. You’ll see more birds than you’ve ever seen ever in your life. You know, in California, they were killing the bald eagle. If you shoot a bald eagle, they want to put you in jail for 10 years. A windmill will kill many bald eagles. It’s true.

I assume this is taken from a Grade 8 child's speech on Climate change?

I certainly hope that child is provided with extensive speech therapy help and an education so that they can articulate their thoughts in a more coherent and mature manner. 

• Bernard likes this

#234 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:45 PM

Well, the bird strike thing is a legit concern and there seems to be no viable fix.

The freestyle word salad that got the concept across is another thing.

#235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

Well, I can't copy and paste the entire speech. For one, it's violates VV's news quoting rules and for another, it would overheat the autocorrect.

Sure you can, the media does not own the speech.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#236 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:39 PM

Sure you can, the media does not own the speech.

To be honest, if it's a speech, I quote big chunks regardless of copyright, I don't sweat it. Technically, it's still the property of the news organization unless you're taking it from the public source (ie: The White House). Because some poor sap at the newspaper had to transcribe the whole two hour speech and the reporter had to select the relevant quotes for the story. They don't own the words of the speech but they own the treatment of it.

And that's a tough gig, man. I did some professional transcription so I know how it works and Trump is the worst. He repeats phrases so you lose track. Then he slurs words and runs phrases together and stops a sentence without completing the thought and starts a new one. You're constantly rewinding and replaying. Apparently Keith Richards is the other worst person to transcribe for similar reasons. 

#237 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

I think the "fume" thing Trump rambles about is about the fiberglas or whatever the blades are made from. He's right of course, but I think any energy plant produces gases or smoke and has a carbon footprint, even solar. But if you're concerned about the air, I'm pretty sure wind beats coal. I don't get why when Trump is concerned about air quality he's more focused on blade production than coal plants. But then again his hatred of the wind farms next to his golf courses has something to do with it. 

#238 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

I think the "fume" thing Trump rambles about is about the fiberglas or whatever the blades are made from. He's right of course, but I think any energy plant produces gases or smoke and has a carbon footprint, even solar. But if you're concerned about the air, I'm pretty sure wind beats coal. I don't get why when Trump is concerned about air quality he's more focused on blade production than coal plants. But then again his hatred of the wind farms next to his golf courses has something to do with it. 

Best estimates I have seen for the carbon impact of the construction and operation of wind turbines is 11 grams per KwH.   For coal it is 980 g/KwH.  The best coal plants with carbon capture and storage still cause around 155 g/KwH.   Solar has an impact of 41 g/KwH and nuclear 12 g/KwH.  The lowest is hydro with large dams at 7 g/KwH and run of the river hydro in the range of 1-3 g/KwH

For the record, yes wind turbines kill birds but a lot less than the roughly 1 million birds killed by oil fields in the US according to the Bureau of Land Management.

• Mike K. and Rob Randall like this

#239 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2019 - 01:42 PM

Yeah. In theory, Trump is right. In context, he's full of ****.

#240 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 04:20 PM

Victoria Daily Colonist, September 13, 1913:

solar.JPG

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users