[Vic West] Victoria International Marina | Built - completed in 2018

Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#2081 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:56 AM

^Pretty much my boat is wrapped up and put away for the winter with a dehumidifier and heater on down below.  Who the heck wants to go out on the water in this weather

There are no mega yachts that have Victoria as their home base that I know of

#2082 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:37 PM

What's the plan here? Is it expected that this would be empty in winter and only occupied in summer? Is it normal for a new marina to take quite a while to fill up?

A lot of the folks who would use this marina to stick their $25 million dollar boat in are also the same folks who most definitely don't spend the winter here in the Pacific Northwest, opting instead to pass the time on their boats down in  the Caribbean or the Sea of Cortez, places with those 80-90 degree (Fahrenheit) days and clear blue skies.

Just last week one of those mega-yacht transporters was docked down at Ogden Point loading up a few local 100+ footers for the trip south. Boat owners of this status usually don't like to make the long, nasty run down the Pacific coast in their actual boats, so they will often load their boats onto the transports to drop off down around San Diego - or if going all out, the transporter will transit the Panama Canal and drop the boat off in the Cayman's or some such other glorious locale.

I've no personal experience with the movement of mega-yachts, but I suspect that I've probably captured as accurately as possible a scenario none of us will ever have to worry about :)

• nerka and Victoria Watcher like this

#2083 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:17 PM

Boat owners of this status usually don't like to make the long, nasty run down the Pacific coast in their actual boats, so they will often load their boats onto the transports to drop off down around San Diego - or if going all out, the transporter will transit the Panama Canal and drop the boat off in the Cayman's or some such other glorious locale.

A friend used to crew (chief engineer) a mega-yacht down in the Caribbean. According to him the owners rarely even stayed aboard for longer inter-island passage down there.  Rather they directed the crew where to sail and then flew in with friends for a stay of a few days aboard their floating hotel.

#2084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,535 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

That sounds about right. Sailing about can be downright plebeian. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2085 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:47 PM

That sounds about right. Sailing about can be downright plebeian. 

..... all that rocking back and forth with spray everywhere, you really have to wonder if it that money wouldn't be better spent on jewelry or the spa.

• nerka and Victoria Watcher like this

#2086 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:28 PM

The waters off the coast of Washington, Oregon and Northern California are notoriously nasty, particularly in winter, and particularly off the Columbia River Bar [the graveyard of the Pacific]. 

Many people who sail down south have their boats ships from the PNW to Mexico or SoCal. Not just the rich and famous. I know a few who have done so (one couple who sailed their 26 ft sailboat from Mexico to Australia - but wouldn't dare sail past Oregon). 

Edited by jonny, 11 December 2018 - 04:30 PM.

#2087 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

Many people who sail down south have their boats ships from the PNW to Mexico or SoCal. Not just the rich and famous......

Barging your 35' boat from Vancouver to San Diego will run you around $5000.00.

So even though you may not be "rich and famous" ... you've still got to have a fat enough bank account to pay the $5K shipping fee, and still have plenty of money left over for food and drink on your trip ... not to mention the fact that you obviously can't be tied down to a plebian job, and perhaps most importantly - you have to be in a position to first shell out the couple of hundred thousand bucks to buy the boat!

Perhaps not "rich and famous", but would you be willing to go with just plain old rich :)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2088 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

A 26' sailboat does not cost a couple hundred grand. 

#2089 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

OK, an entry level Beneteau First 25' costs somewhere around $76,000.00 in Canada, and still with the $5000.00 transport fee.

Not to mention you still can't be working any sort of job ... which sort of implies an elevated level of financial freedom.

If not "rich", will you give me "reasonably wealthy"?

Edited by Cassidy, 12 December 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#2090 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

Here's a Contessa 26 for $17,000 on UsedVic. You find find others online for cheaper, but regardless, it's cheaper than the average Canadian wedding.

#2091 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

There are no mega yachts that have Victoria as their home base that I know of

Many Victorian's don't want to be here in the winter, so I don't think many mega yachts will take out a long term lease.

Those yachts are likely in the warmer regions and they will return here for perhaps a week or two on their way to the cruising grounds of BC or Alaska

#2092 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Here's a Contessa 26 for $17,000 on UsedVic. You find find others online for cheaper, but regardless, it's cheaper than the average Canadian wedding.

If you're comfortable venturing far afield in a 42 year old fiberglass boat! ... do you know what happens to fiberglass after 42 years?

Issues like osmosis and delamination severely limit the lifespan of anything made out of fiberglass, from boats to RV's.

#2093 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

they will return here for perhaps a week or two on their way to the cruising grounds of BC or Alaska

Is that a business that is going to support this marina?

#2094 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:39 PM

I'll give you middle class, Cassidy. I know two couples who have had their boats shipped south by truck for extended getaways. One couple is the cheapest pair you will ever find. 

• Matt R. and songheesguy like this

#2095 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

I'll give you middle class, Cassidy. I know two couples who have had their boats shipped south by truck for extended getaways. One couple is the cheapest pair you will ever find. 

We have achieved consensus!

To be fair, I know it's a usually a complete lifestyle choice people make ... and they often make sizeable sacrifices in other areas to live the dream of sailing in warmer climates than our own.

Edited by Cassidy, 12 December 2018 - 05:30 PM.

• jonny likes this

#2096 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:08 PM

Bang on, our wedding cost some bucks north of that figure for sure. Thanks for that Mrs ASE.....

Regardless 'cost' of a boat depends entirely on the age, make, model, type and also the function of the craft: the Kuroshio, the boat we go fishing off the west and north coast is a 12 metre custom built aluminum hull, outfitted as a commercial dive/fishing vessel with a 12-cylinder 400hp Volvo engine and an Arnason drive: parts come typically from the southern US; one small - 24" or so - hull stabilizer for example, custom milled, runs in the range of $5K USD. An oil change is over $500....

If you want to purchase the boat - not by a long shot the biggest or most luxurious craft afloat, but packed with all manner of electronic gear - you'd need to cough up $250K CDN ++.

That all said you can certainly purchase a perfectly serviceable and well conditioned boat for under $40K and which is quite capable of cruising up and down the west coast of North America. But "yeah" its a commitment to a certain lifestyle for sure. The PM for the marina project is one of my neighbors. Next time I talk to her I'll ask about their business model generally and what the expectations to support the facility actually are.

#2097 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

The Boom and Batten is hiring for "spring"

https://www.indeedjo...207fd/_hl/en_US

It is still rare to see a yacht moored in the marina.

• Nparker and songheesguy like this

#2098 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

Hey they scored a good chef!

He will attract talent.

Matt.
  • Nparker likes this

#2099 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:58 PM

What if they built a marina ... and nobody came?

I wonder when the boats show up?

Attached Images

• IMG_0097.jpg
  • IMG_0095.jpg

#2100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,993 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 03:39 AM

well not likely in the winter for sure.  i think it'll be a very slow build.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users