• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#2121 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:24 AM

Our Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, along with Transport Canada has long wielded absolute power over the comings and goings of both transient and permanent boaters, and activities overall in the Upper, Inner, and Outer Harbours.

Let's just say that the Authority (and Transport Canadas Harbour Master) have long enjoyed a reputation for being officious such that their somewhat over the top approach to operating the Harbour is noticed by experienced boaters as being substantially different (indeed far less enjoyable) to other West Coast harbours of equal or better facility.

It could be argued that things are as they are for two reasons:

1. There are multiple masters - our Inner Harbour is "owned and operated" by the COV, the Province of B.C., Transport Canada, and to a lesser degree - Canada Border Services Agency.
  2. The Harbour is a busy, working harbour with many users, and many serious safety concerns - like massive ferries maneuvering in the confines of a harbour that sees endless numbers of aircraft taking off and landing, accompanied by canoes, kayaks, pleasure boaters, mini-ferries, and massive remediation/construction projects all mixed in the same bowl.

Regardless, all of the above is light years more desirable than a dead harbour surrounded by condominiums occupied by owners who file noise complaints when they hear a dog barking.

But the "officiousness" noted above does tend to make doing things (any "things") in the Inner Harbour somewhat more difficult than most believe they actually need to be.

Edited by Cassidy, 03 April 2019 - 10:32 AM.

#2122 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:47 PM

I just don't see why a luxury yacht owner would want to spend more than a day or two in Victoria on transit to somewhere else. Do we have world class dining .. no. Do we have world class attractions downtown ... no. Do we have unique shopping experiences ... no. I can see someone wanting to come here for a special event (ie swiftsure or the splash) .

• Bob Fugger likes this

#2123 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

it’s quiet and quaint and only 35 minutes by plane or helicopter from downtown bancouver. that might have some attraction for the very rich.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2019 - 12:54 PM.

• cnorrisvimarina likes this

#2124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:02 PM

I just don't see why a luxury yacht owner would want to spend more than a day or two in Victoria on transit to somewhere else. Do we have world class dining .. no. Do we have world class attractions downtown ... no. Do we have unique shopping experiences ... no. I can see someone wanting to come here for a special event (ie swiftsure or the splash) .

Boating is not always about world class-everything, though. People come up to this part of the world to experience the ruggedness of the coast and its communities.

• cnorrisvimarina likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2125 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

thanks for chiming in. 

do you welcome people to just drop in or should they phone if they'd like to come see and chat?

would you consider advertising some group tour time or public open house?  some people are more comfortable as part of a large group.

Drop in any time. If I'm in, I will gladly take a few minutes to say hello. If I'm not here, any of our staff would be pleased to meet someone new. If you would like a tour, just send me a note before you come down so I can make sure I carve a little time out. We are planning to hold a breakfast and open house one morning coming up - we very much need to say thank you to the community for their patience. I will post it here as well so this group gets the invite.

• tedward, jasmineshinga, songheesguy and 1 other like this

#2126 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

If you're sailing your mega yacht up the west coast, Victoria makes a semi-decent way station to re-provision before heading into the greater wilderness further north.

• DavidSchell, cnorrisvimarina and Victoria Watcher like this

#2127 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Boating is not always about world class-everything, though. People come up to this part of the world to experience the ruggedness of the coast and its communities.

Indeed, Mike is correct. In my research on our clientele and the world's Ultra-High-Net-Worth in general, is that they are seeking "authentic" experiences... even "adventures"... something we happen to have plenty of here on the west coast. I've heard loud and clear that yachters (not all of course, but most) are looking for something different,,, white sand and blue water have a shelf-life it would seem. What we aren't that good at is telling the rest of the world what is here and how to experience it. We're working on it. The trick is to do it in a sustainable and responsible manner while also delivering on expectations.

Edited by cnorrisvimarina, 03 April 2019 - 01:24 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

We're somewhat poorly marketed, for sure. The Island is so multi-faceted and yet we can't break free of the cliche marketing approach, which honestly hasn't changed since the 80's.

Ask an average European where on the west coast of North American you can ski and surf within hours of each other, while wearing only a t-shirt in February, and they'll have no idea.

• cnorrisvimarina and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2129 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:22 PM

i will admit i based my "7" big boats at capital city statement on looking at an aerial. their website is not very good!

is our harbour unfriendly because of rigid rules or unfriendliness at the harbour authority? i mean i would not doubt it's not as friendly as say a family-run marina. 

It's a long story... my sources of this statement have a whole host of reasons... CBSA is a big one. The lack of knowledge on the needs of a large yacht and the  infrastructure to properly support such a vessel are close seconds. The confusion with the "Harbour Authority" not being the "authority in the harbour" is probably another one. Getting yelled at by other users in the water is another one. It goes on... we have work to do.

Edited by cnorrisvimarina, 03 April 2019 - 01:23 PM.

#2130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:37 PM

I can attest to the yelling and general banter in our waterways. I wonder if it has anything to do with the volume of commercial operations in these waters, from small commercial fishing vessels to massive oil tankers? I know fishermen kind of loath the summer season when hoards of pleasure craft skippered by folks unfamiliar with our waters descend onto the straits and get into all sorts of mischief. BC Ferries has a bit of a tough time with them, too.

Know it all.

#2131 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

I've heard of ne'er-do-wells going down to the harbour and messing with the yachts

#2132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,998 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:43 PM

It's a long story... my sources of this statement have a whole host of reasons... CBSA is a big one. The lack of knowledge on the needs of a large yacht and the  infrastructure to properly support such a vessel are close seconds. The confusion with the "Harbour Authority" not being the "authority in the harbour" is probably another one. Getting yelled at by other users in the water is another one. It goes on... we have work to do.

at 5 knots why would people get mad at one another. sheesh. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2019 - 01:45 PM.

#2133 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:53 PM

cnorrisvimarins, do you guys have an arrangement with CBSA whereby the visiting yacht in question goes directly to their moorage spot at the VIM, and then CBSA comes to the marina for the customs clearance?

This as opposed to your guests having to clear customs at the customs dock before heading across to the VIM.

#2134 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

cnorrisvimarins, do you guys have an arrangement with CBSA whereby the visiting yacht in question goes directly to their moorage spot at the VIM, and then CBSA comes to the marina for the customs clearance?

This as opposed to your guests having to clear customs at the customs dock before heading across to the VIM.

We have met with CBSA to discuss this. To be an official CBSA stopping spot, we would be required to have at least 100 feet of dock dedicated solely to CBSA clearance. So, no. But, CBSA has the power to tell a vessel to go to their moorage location at VIM and wait for CBSA to arrive to clear customs. This hasn't been the experience of customers to date. To date, all have been told to wait at the customs dock for a CBSA officer to arrive - or they clear by phone there.

#2135 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:10 PM

• In traveling the world over the last 4 years speaking with the large yachting community... (and to my surprise and embarrassment as a Canadian and a Victorian...) I heard time-and-time again that Victoria is one of the most unfriendly harbours in the world! It shocked me. Of course I asked why... but if you'd like to know what I heard, come down and see me and I'd be happy to chat on it.

I don't understand why the secrecy: it's not your feedback about why Victoria is "one of the most unfriendly harbours in the world!"  I mean, this is kinda what this forum is for.  I'm sure that we'd all appreciate if you'd reconsider this point and share why they think this.

#2136 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 02:43 PM

I don't understand why the secrecy: it's not your feedback about why Victoria is "one of the most unfriendly harbours in the world!"  I mean, this is kinda what this forum is for.  I'm sure that we'd all appreciate if you'd reconsider this point and share why they think this.

Oh no... sorry for any misunderstanding... It's not about secrecy. I just don't have time at the moment to write a book. ;)

Also - check post #2129 above... where I gave a general overview.

Edited by cnorrisvimarina, 03 April 2019 - 02:46 PM.

• Bob Fugger and shoeflack like this

#2137 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:24 PM

If you're sailing your mega yacht up the west coast, Victoria makes a semi-decent way station to re-provision before heading into the greater wilderness further north.

hmmm, sort of  like the Cariboo Gold Rush :)

• Nparker likes this

#2138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:55 AM

16 vessels docked at the marina today.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#2139 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

So we can finally start complaining about blocked views, navigation hazards, too many rich people and too much noise, etc.?

• tedward and jonny like this

#2140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

17th has just arrived.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users