Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#2221 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:53 PM

I don’t think this is going to be a very good year for yacht tourism.

B03D8764-DC94-45B5-AF19-DB424C8D97E5.jpeg
  • newbie_01 likes this

#2222 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

I was there just this afternoon as well and thought the same thing. Eerily empty.

#2223 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

Those slips are almost always devoid of boats, COVID or no COVID ... and have been since this opened.

The business model certainly can't be constructed around an occupied marina ... and one has to posit that that business model has far more to do with building a restaurant/pub in a spot that would otherwise never be approved as a location without the marina attached.

In other words, the success is dependant on the food and drink business, with the occupancy of the slips (either through sales or rentals) a nice side hustle.

(Cue the marina operators to come onto VV to comment that I have nowhere near the knowledge of how a marina is run, such that would allow me to comment on their business model ... even though constantly empty slips in a marina pretty much explain all that needs explaining, and does that explaining without even having to use any words!).

#2224 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:42 AM

But that's good, right? The yachts were surely going to block views, ruin the environment, and destroy the community.*

*those narratives seem ridiculous now, don't they?

• Nparker likes this

#2225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

i think you have to expect a much slower fill-up.  you have to give people that own the ships a reason to park them hear rather than vancouver or seattle or anacortes or bellingham.  

i'm not sure if we have.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 September 2020 - 07:58 AM.

• m3m likes this

#2226 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:03 AM

...you have to give people that own the ships a reason to park them hear...

Nobody's listening, that's the problem.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2227 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:34 AM

I don’t think this is going to be a very good year for yacht tourism.

attachicon.gifB03D8764-DC94-45B5-AF19-DB424C8D97E5.jpeg

Ok I'll bite. :)

But only with some facts:

- We are a start up in a burgeoning market (i.e., large yachts in the pacific northwest), which means we had to make a best guest prior to serving the market and then be as adaptable as we can once we grow to understand it.

- By burgeoning, I mean that it is relatively new (compared to most other yachting destinations) and is growing by 5% year over year for the last 5-10 years.

- We did not pick our market. We are restricted by Transport Canada to allow ONLY vessels over 20m (65 feet). You will have seen under 20m vessels in the marina from time to time over the past two years, as the previous harbour master would allow us under strict rules, to take the odd vessel or event.

- The first summer we opened we hosted 60 boats. The next summer we hosted 120 boats. This year we had over 200 reservations, before COVID-19 hit. An interesting note, we did not qualify for COVID-related subsidies because our business was not "down 30%" (the requirement being in Feb,Mar and Apr). Now... we certainly are down more that 30% at this point.

- On average, it takes about 5 years for a marina to integrate itself in to the network and become "busy".

- We service mostly the US yachts at this time, as they are the ones that where naturally "coming by" us on their cruise itinerary, the majority of which, are on their way to some northern destination. Canadian yachts are travelling to the same destinations, generally, and since we are the southern-most Canadian port, they are generally not going to be "going by". As time progresses and destinations offer more to boaters, routes will be altered or grown and business will increase.

- Obviously, closing the boarder has impacted an "International" business... drastically.

- People are reluctant to change the location where they "store" their boat. Most will prefer to store them close to home or an airport, where it's easiest to access them. I don't think VIM will be a home-port marina for some time, the current business model relies on transient moorage. As boaters become more confident on the ability for Victoria to service their needs, more boats will choose to call it home. Believe it or not (and I was very surprised to find this out when I first got in to this business), Victoria is NOT known as a boat-friendly port. In talking with people around the world that have visited us, they often refer to us as one of the most unfriendly ports in the world.

- Any of you - please feel free to come down to the marina and talk to me any time. I would be happy to show you around and answer questions.

Edited by cnorrisvimarina, 08 September 2020 - 08:51 AM.

• Mike K., SimonH and Spy Black like this

#2228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:42 AM

...Victoria is NOT known as a boat-friendly port. In talking with people around the world that have visited us, they often refer to us as one of the most unfriendly ports in the world....

This I can believe. For a region that benefits so significantly from tourism, there is definitely resentment among some locals towards those who visit here.

#2229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:43 AM

Whoa. We have that image as being boat unfriendly? Can you expand on that, Cn?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2230 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

Believe it or not (and I was very surprised to find this out when I first got in to this business), Victoria is NOT known as a boat-friendly port. In talking with people around the world that have visited us, they often refer to us as one of the most unfriendly ports in the world.

what is unfriendly?

difficult vehicle access to boat docks?  poor dock amenities or security?

harbour authority issues?

customs and immigration?

lack of docking options?

lack of boat servicing options?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 September 2020 - 08:46 AM.

#2231 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

Whoa. We have that image as being boat unfriendly? Can you expand on that, Cn?

I think "Victoria Watcher" knows his/her stuff...

From what I have been told:

-customs and immigration (all kinds of stories here... but seem to stem from our general misunderstanding of the business of yachting - plus we can be pretty slow to respond - and the odd officer is reported to be just a little rude (imagine that)) 

-inadequate facilities and security

-generally a "run-down" port that doesn't understand how to service boaters

-lack of provisioning capabilities and services

-lack of yachting services in general

-unfriendly harbour patrol

-perception that we have WAY too many rules for a relatively slow port

-traffic scheme is complicated (unnecessarily in their opinion)

-when issues are raised, no one seems to care/respond

-nothing going on in the harbour

-can't take a tender to restaurants... wait - where are all the restaurants with water access?

• Mike K. likes this

#2232 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:31 AM

-perception that we have WAY too many rules...

-traffic scheme is complicated (unnecessarily in their opinion)

-when issues are raised, no one seems to care/respond

These issues are not limited just to boating in the region.

#2233 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

I generally found Victoria to be a very unfriendly city even when I compare it to Toronto.

#2234 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

last time I boated to Toronto I actually found Niagara Falls less friendly than Toronto.

Wyoming was also not very boat friendly.
  • lanforod likes this

#2235 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:17 AM

Try to bring your boat with you into a coffee shop or restaurant and you'll see how boat friendly a place really is.

#2236 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:45 AM

A truly forward-thinking city would invest in dedicated, AAA boat lanes.

• Greg likes this

#2237 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

Isn't that what you have a Captain for ... to deal with the local peons that are required to participate in such droll tasks as going through customs, shopping for provisions, pumping out the crap tank, and getting your yacht washed?

Does the millionaire yacht owner really care if his Captain has to deal with some rude customs agents, or an inefficient and nasty harbour patrol?

#2238 cnorrisvimarina

cnorrisvimarina
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Isn't that what you have a Captain for ... to deal with the local peons that are required to participate in such droll tasks as going through customs, shopping for provisions, pumping out the crap tank, and getting your yacht washed?

Does the millionaire yacht owner really care if his Captain has to deal with some rude customs agents, or an inefficient and nasty harbour patro

The short answer is, yes, it would seem that they do care.

#2239 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 01:42 PM

Wyoming was also not very boat friendly.

Demand expected for subs in Saskatchewan but funding not a priority: minister

https://www.timescol...ster-1.24199358

• Nparker likes this

#2240 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 05:16 PM

Look what just pulled into the Victoria International Marina: The "After Eight"

Owned by the Wheaton family (car dealership empire) as many of you may already know.  At first glance it is huge. Upon closer inspection, it's even bigger!  From a distance the proportions seem quite good until you realize that yacht is 152 feet long!

After Eight Yacht

Wheaton Boat:

After Eight

Yacht Length:

46 m (152 ft)

Guests:

10 in 5 cabins

Crew:

12 in 6 cabins

IMG_7606.JPG

IMG_7609.JPG

IMG_7612.JPG

IMG_7613.JPG

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users