Infrastructure Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2343 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

I find owning such huge yacht's to be an almost offensive excess by the selfish idle rich, but some community is going to reap the employment and income from these lumbering symbols of greed so why not make it ours? And if squeezing some cash out of these yachts results in a more active and interesting waterfront for everyone, that's a bonus.

An awful lot of employment is created by these mega-yachts, I'm not sure how that implies greed.

#82 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

Actually when you talked about the sail powered yachts I got excited! Can we have tall ships in our harbour all year? Please? Pretty please!?

#83 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

Only if you're good, otherwise santa will bring you a coal powered ship.

actually, a working ironclad would be a pretty cool attraction downtown.

#84 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

Luxury marina plans to be ready by fall
Seabed tests during the past month provided information for the design
Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, July 09, 2008

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

Luxury marina plans to be ready by fall
Seabed tests during the past month provided information for the design
Carla Wilson, Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, July 09, 2008

When I read that headline in the TC I was flabergasted. How on earth could something be built that quickly, especially in Victoria.

It wasn't until the last paragraph in the article that I realized they meant the plans were going to be ready - not the marina!!!!

Was it just me or was that a badly written headline?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

The joys of the English language. :P

#87 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:43 AM

Haha I see what you mean!

#88 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

In case you haven't caught this, Victoria Marine Concepts has applied to Transport Canada to alter the accessibility of the waters off Paul Kane Place and Cooperage Place at Royal Quays. http://www.victoriai...ionalmarina.ca/

Since the thread has started additions including a location plan that wasn't there when I became aware of the re-birth of the project in late Sept..

Here's the document that has appeared on their website this Fall.. It was submitted to Transport Canada

http://www.victoriai...arch 3,2008.pdf

It also contains scaled drawings that show how big the project is... and how it is squeezed in between Pelly Island, the marine airport taxiway.

The project will change the way non motorized vessels such as kayaks, outrigger canoes can use the harbour.

Deadline for making comment to Transport Canada is at the end of Dec. 08..

Here's the notice of Nov. 29, 08 in the Canada Gazette..

COMMUNITY MARINE CONCEPTS LP
PLANS DEPOSITED

Community Marine Concepts LP hereby gives notice that an application has been made to the
Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities under the Navigable Waters
Protection Act for approval of the plans and site of the work described herein. Under
section 9 of the said Act, Community Marine Concepts LP has deposited with the Minister
of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, at Vancouver, British Columbia, and in the
office of the Victoria Land Title District, at the Victoria Land Title Office, at
Victoria, British Columbia, under deposit No. FB229908, a description of the site and
plans of a proposed marina east of Lime Bay and west of Songhees Point, on the north side
of Victoria Harbour, on Lots 3 and 4 (District Lot 119, Esquimalt District, Plan 47008)
and Water Lot 1 of District Lot 119 (Esquimalt District, Plan 44757), in Victoria,
British Columbia.

Comments regarding the effect of this work on marine navigation may be directed to the
Superintendent, Navigable Waters Protection Program, Transport Canada, 800 Burrard
Street, Suite 620, Vancouver, British Columbia V6Z 2J8. However, comments will be
considered only if they are in writing and are received not later than 30 days after the
date of publication of this notice. Although all comments conforming to the above will be
considered, no individual response will be sent.

Victoria, November 14, 2008

LACHLAN MACLEAN
General Manager, Marina Operations

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for posting. This is going to be a great addition to the harbour.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Only if you're good, otherwise santa will bring you a coal powered ship.

actually, a working ironclad would be a pretty cool attraction downtown.

I dunno, the submarine was a bad idea.

#91 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

#92 Marina-man

Marina-man
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'll declare my hand up front, I work for this marina project. It's interesting to read all the comments, and see some bi-partisan support. But take note, the NIMBY forces have cranked up the photocopier and are busy sending letters to the Mayor and Council. If you really believe like I do that the marina will provide some service and amenity to an otherwise pretty sterile neighbourhood, create jobs, and improve the degraded seabed through removal of years of logboom waste, then I urge you to take up pen and write to Mayor Fortin and express your support for the marina. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them in this forum or in person. You can find my contact details on the marina website at www.victoriainternationalmarina.ca
Regards,
Marina-man

#93 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

A marina was part of the original Songhees plans. Those living in immediate proximity to the proposed marina site should have theoretically been aware that a marina could one day be built at the foot of their building, particularly with the high profile lawsuit that resulted in the City paying the claimant damages for reneging on an otherwise approved marina.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#94 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:26 AM

2-page ad on p.A8-A9 of today's TC

#95 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

Denise Savoie MP & the

Victoria West Community Association

invite you to attend a

PUBLIC MEETING

to review and comment on a

MEGA-YACHT MARINA

proposed for Victoria Harbour

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 7:00 p.m.

Victoria City Hall

information (250) 382-3378
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#96 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

from what I've seen in renderings it's not a mega marina for yachts (mega yacht marina) & it's not a marina for mega yachts (mega-yacht marina). there's nothing "mega" about it from what I've seen in renderings.

#97 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

kool I'll try to make it to that

#98 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

I think they should reserve a few slips for small sailboats, maybe even a fishing boat to add some variety.

I also think it is a great opportunity for a Granville Island type food/artisan marketplace. Not sure if that's in the plans but would be a great addition. And could maybe be used for the Tall Ships festival in years ahead, along with the Inner Harbour, an event that generates huge revenues for Victoria.

Nice to see some energy and vision going into that area. And who doesn't like looking at boats! We live in a sea port town!

#99 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:25 AM

...and while they are at it maybe they can demolish most of the buildings on the Songhees and rebuild it properly.

My vote for the first buildings to be demolished are the buildings developed by bob evans

#100 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

...and while they are at it maybe they can demolish most of the buildings on the Songhees and rebuild it properly.

My vote for the first buildings to be demolished are the buildings developed by bob evans

This is an odd city that way. While everyone is entitled to differing opinions - bitterness seems to simmer about anything short of one's own version of perfection.

I dont understand why business people are seen as the enemy. I think anyone who creates, invests, and makes things happen is an asset.

Great weather but co-existence seems to be a real challenge in Vic City.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users