Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#101 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

Little early to be hittin the sauce isn't it 3 dots?

thanks for that ...

that's very kind of you.

--- Why are you avoiding the conversation ...?

I thought we could go beyond "tinsel & bully dogs ".

woff woff , notice ,

I'm still not laying down ...!

---- even with a smack on your snout ,

you still refuse to evolve ...!

----- dat's ok ...

your way or the highway , eh...!

---------- ok ------------

are you ready to talk now ,,,

or do insults work better ...?

Because I'm hear to learn something ...
(and perhaps teach something in return )

you know ,
it how societies evolve ...

ted...

;{-

#102 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:33 PM

[quote name='aastra']The "Friends of Beacon Hill Park" often come across as boneheaded in the media, but their basic concerns about commercialization of the park and restricting inappropriate uses are, I think, valid.

But when I read about the various controversies as documented here:
http://www.islandnet...beaconhillpark/

...I can't help but conclude that some people are confusing the park, Beacon Hill Park, with a nature reserve.

--------- uhmmm -----------

check the history of the land grant.

your wrong .

1950's , 60's , 70's roads were out into the park
to give grater access to the park & it's user's .

That split the land-grant into smaller parcel's ...!

--- let's not forget how WRONG minded the "CAR-CULTURE"
was ...!

Road's so you can see the bird-cage FROM YOUR CAR ...?

come on ...!

we can "evolve" beyond that can't we ...?

ted...

;{-

#103 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:34 PM

Ted, your posts take up a huge amount of space and say very little. Do you really need to double and triple space everything and start a new paragraph where you're supposed to start a new sentence? It's very hard to have a conversation with you, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say about this issue.

Are you saying you're in support of the "friends" of the park in their protest against the terry-fox memorial and the run? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

#104 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

Ted - please try to settle down with the insults.

Imagine walking into a room full of strangers and starting to bark like a dog and insult people. You wouldn't do that would you? But you are doing the internet equivalent. If you are here to learn as well as to share your perspective, please try treating the people you want to talk to with respect. I think you would be surprised to see how well it works.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome but personal insults are against board conduct rules. In the future they will be edited.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#105 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

What was I wrong about again?

The Trust states:

“....Whereas...the public park or pleasure ground known as Beacon Hill have been set apart and reserved out of the Crown Lands of the Province for the recreation and enjoyment of the public... We...give and grant unto the said Corporation of the City of Victoria their successors and assigns ALL that piece or parcel of land known as Beacon Hill Park situate in the District of Victoria known upon the Official Map of the said District as Section 87 (Eighty-seven)....UPON TRUST to the express use intent and purpose that the said hereditaments and premises hereby granted shall be maintained and preserved by the said Corporation and their successors for the use recreation and enjoyment of the public under the provisions of the Public Parks Act 1876 and the said Act to amend the Public Parks Act 1876...”

Or are you saying I was wrong when I said I thought the basic concerns of the Friends of BHP about commercialization and restricting inappropriate uses were valid? So are you saying the concerns of the Friends of Beacon Hill Park are not valid? Please elaborate.

#106 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Ted - please try to settle down with the insults.

Imagine walking into a room full of strangers and starting to bark like a dog and insult people. You wouldn't do that would you? But you are doing the internet equivalent. If you are here to learn as well as to share your perspective, please try treating the people you want to talk to with respect. I think you would be surprised to see how well it works.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome but personal insults are against board conduct rules. In the future they will be edited.

------ ok -----------

what about the other user's ...?

( don't you got a page that talks about that ...? ) yes ...!

some body called me NIMBY ...

I was @ the City Council meeting ,,, !
did they hear what I said to City council ...?

did they bother to down-load the audio recordings I made ...?

No .

they just tossed out a label ... !

and then , they Didn't bother to engage in the conversation .

---- sure, I sound like a farmer

why is that an insult ...? ---------

I bought drinks for architect's ,
to gain an inside track on construction bids
( wood framing & concrete foundations )

that extended to "steal-stud" & Dry-wall contacts...
( stuff I sub'ed out ) ...

-----

women screwed on the dry-wall for me...!

( and yup ,,, I exploited a labour pool that NOBODY else did )

1976-1982
(women who can do the same job as a man,
didn't get hired ...! ) I gave them jobs that needed to be DONE ...

- so grow up .
too bad about the way I said it ...!

but the reality of it was ...?

I tapped into a under-utilize labour force.

- so Please don't think I'm stupid .

;{-

------ To every body else ----------

we gain a lot more by listening to each other
than we do thinking ,,,
" I'm superior to you " ...!

because "from out of the mouth of babe's "
come a new understanding ...!

ie: a new way of looking out-side the box ...!

---- vibe-rant VICTORIA

comes from conversation ,

not flame wars ...

------

and ya , I created more business's than listed here

I'm an entrepreneur

so excuse me as I move on ...!

( and go beyond stingy greed , that creates a race to the bottom )

we are worthy of better ...

but it doesn't come from a closed minds .

ted...

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

Ted, are you using some type of older computer that can't display full-width lines of text? If so, no problem. But if not, can you complete your sentence or paragraph on the same line?

It drives me batty reading it as it is.

#108 ted - 3 - dots

ted - 3 - dots

Banned

• Banned
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

Ted, are you using some type of older computer that can't display full-width lines of text? If so, no problem. But if not, can you complete your sentence or paragraph on the same line?

It drives me batty reading it as it is.

---- sorry ------

I speak as I write ...

( simply ) most people don't read my paragraphs .

but aren't we suppose to be talking about Beacon-hill park &
the rest of the lands ,,,

granted to the Citizen's of Victoria
(so very long ago ) ...?

----- cause -----

I'd like to talk about it here ,

HOWEVER , there is a way for member's of this list
to send messages "off-line" ...!

----- I mean "out-side the discussion" ,
this Blog is supposed to be offering -------

yes ...!

please read what I write ...

( and sorry for the way I sound )

not like I had a stoke or anything ...!

but really ,
shouldn't this be about what I said ...?

and maybe not so much on the way I said it ...?

#109 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:54 PM

What do we make of Ted's posts, and style? Is the medium the message, or the format of prose affecting response? Poetry and prose are subjective, yet we all cringe when there is an obvious spelling or grammatical mistake, or obviously grossly anti-social remark, in either our own, or another's writing on VV (I am as guilty).

However, Ted I do feel your message format is distracting and some lines in your posts could be taken the wrong way - subtlety in writing is an art.

I, nor other VV users, know your situation and I can see all of us dodging around the issue until (if ever) we know.

#110 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

Because I'm hear to learn something ...

Perhaps you would like to start with spelling and grammar.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#111 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:04 PM

The way I see it we should allow Beacon Hill Parkto have some city controlled commerical enterprise.

How would the world end if there was a restaurant at the summit of Beacon Hill?

Why can't the giant gravel lot host outdoor concerts and festivals? Especially if run by non-profits but there are ads.

Most places would have their beer fest and other such festivals in their city's main park.

We need to get our head out of ass in this town. Grow up and recognize that we are a city.

#112 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:05 PM

Ted:
But the way that you're writing is severely interrupting your flow and others' ability to read it. It's your responsibility to write so others can understand your point clearly, which you are not. Your thoughts are scattered and confusing. Your grammar make little sense.

We've all had to conform to the conventional rules of the written word in order for others to understand us. So, what makes you any different?

we gain a lot more by listening to each other
than we do thinking ,,,
" I'm superior to you " ...!

You sure could benefit greatly from your own advice.

This is a forum, by the way, not a blog.

#113 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

I bore of people talking about things other than Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

#114 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

The way I see it we should allow Beacon Hill Parkto have some city controlled commerical enterprise.

How would the world end if there was a restaurant at the summit of Beacon Hill?

Why can't the giant gravel lot host outdoor concerts and festivals? Especially if run by non-profits but there are ads.

Most places would have their beer fest and other such festivals in their city's main park.

We need to get our head out of ass in this town. Grow up and recognize that we are a city.

Bump

#115 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

OOH. Quoting yourself. I've never been balsy enough to do that 3 minutes after I had posted the original.:P;)

#116 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

See, some people would claim that a tea house on the hill would take away from the park. Would it? I don't know, but I do know that those same people would also claim that the petting zoo takes away from the park, and that the lawn bowling takes away from the park, and so forth. I disagree with this sentiment. The petting zoo is as much the park as the trees and flowers. Same thing for the tennis courts and the watering can. It's all the park.

#117 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

I'd like to know how much influence the "Friends" actually have. I mean, other than threatening legal action every time someone wants to have a picnic, do they actually have any political influence?

Seems to me, maybe the media should start treating them as the kooky group that they actually are by not returning their phone calls.

#118 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:30 PM

Everything tends to get so polarized in Victoria. In such a political climate, I'd say we're probably better off having groups like the Friends of Beacon Hill Park than not having them. Because you just know there's probably somebody out there who'd like to stick a Starbucks in the middle of the park or stage a monster truck rally or whatever.

Even though I'm pretty much convinced that the Friends of Beacon Hill Park are misinterpreting the park trust, I have to give them credit for keeping the "appropriate use" issue alive. But I also have to criticize them for raising the alarm on numerous occasions when it just wasn't warranted. If you cry wolf often enough, people will eventually stop listening to you. The folks who purport to defend Victoria's architectural heritage tend to make that same mistake. They complain about everything. They need to choose their battles.

#119 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

Before the distraction of Ted's message style - and please someone tell me the difference between a forum and a blog, is that set down in stone somewhere? The "10 Commandments of Internet Style"? - a post on Beacon Hill Park, and park usage.

I understand the Beacon Park Neighbours, and the association. Having lived close by on Chapman St. I know how much the park meant to locals, and how active many were on its management and usage. A good community takes care of the neighbourhood, and locals do have to live with any policy changes - more so than those of us who visit occasionally. Back in the 80's it was the local neighbourhood which pointed out to the Parks Board that paths should be re-arranged as most walkers were cutting across fields, through bushes, for the more direct route.

Beacon Hill Park is a Victoria icon, a gift to all, for all. We must respect the neighbours; listen and understand the input. All must recognize the park is under utilized - protect the Herons, but how about a Merry-Go-Round and ice cream for the kids.

As for the objection to the Terry Fox run - The Beacon Hill Supporters Association should be looking for a new PR director!

#120 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Everything tends to get so polarized in Victoria. In such a political climate, I'd say we're probably better off having groups like the Friends of Beacon Hill Park than not having them. Because you just know there's probably somebody out there who'd like to stick a Starbucks in the middle of the park or stage a monster truck rally or whatever.

Even though I'm pretty much convinced that the Friends of Beacon Hill Park are misinterpreting the park trust, I have to give them credit for keeping the "appropriate use" issue alive. But I also have to criticize them for raising the alarm on numerous occasions when it just wasn't warranted. If you cry wolf often enough, people will eventually stop listening to you. The folks who purport to defend Victoria's architectural heritage tend to make that same mistake. They complain about everything. They need to choose their battles.

Well said Aastra! I think the squabbling special interest groups are a strength in our city.

Yes the various special interest groups do go overboard. And I agree the "Friends" really are going overboard right now (I've been wary of them since they started attacking the petting zoo). But when the Friends or any other special interest group gets unreasonable, people start to call them on it. There is backlash. They get thought of as NIMBYs or Kooks or whatever. And that is part of the squabble - all checks and balances, which in the best possible worlds just adds to the richness of the debate.

and please someone tell me the difference between a forum and a blog, is that set down in stone somewhere? The "10 Commandments of Internet Style"?

A Blog is typically someone's personal journal - which may accept comments from readers, but they are usually vetted before posting.
A Forum is a discussion group where the various posters interact - it is much more of a "public place" although it typically also has a ruleset that you agree to by posting.
Here's a link to clarify.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users