Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#141 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

Keep in mind also that had the "friends" had there way the petting zoo would cease to exist.
Imagine if the petting zoo were to be proposed today. It simply wouldn't happen. Something that is a vital component to the park today.

#142 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

That would break a lot of kid's hearts if the petting zoo was not there. I was there last Sunday myself.

I love the goats. :)

#143 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Beacon Hill Park is one of the few locations we have in this city where you can gather a lot of people together for anything.

There is a bandshell there but is rarely used because you can not charge for the concert.

It can not be used by youth sports because the sponsor names on uniforms and concession stands are not allowed.

There are many vital social events the park could be host to that do not happen because of this.

The 1998 judgement relies on a judgement by Judge Begbie - very famous in BC, but often completely and utterly at odds with the laws said and any precedence. In short he was a crap judge that made some really bone headed decisions (my personal favorite is Carson v Martley over water rights, but that is a whole other story)

The City has to start the process of getting this trust ended and take over full and proper management of the park.

#144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Beacon Hill Park is one of the few locations we have in this city where you can gather a lot of people together for anything.

There is a bandshell there but is rarely used because you can not charge for the concert.

It can not be used by youth sports because the sponsor names on uniforms and concession stands are not allowed.

There are many vital social events the park could be host to that do not happen because of this.

The 1998 judgement relies on a judgement by Judge Begbie - very famous in BC, but often completely and utterly at odds with the laws said and any precedence. In short he was a crap judge that made some really bone headed decisions (my personal favorite is Carson v Martley over water rights, but that is a whole other story)

The City has to start the process of getting this trust ended and take over full and proper management of the park.

I agree. We end up doing stuff at the Inner Harbour and the Legislature lawns. Is that the best place for them? It might be, for access to businesses nearby, but what if you want to go to an event, and have a choice of being in a HUGE crowd, but then want to go to some green space, have a little picnic, a little more private, nearby? There is no option at the harbour.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#145 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

I have to admit I find this question strange. I think it blatantly obvious why commercial is vital in the park.

There are many major events such as the Light Up and the 10k that have had to alter or cease existence because of this silly covenant. Also, there is demand simple things like a small cafeteria in somewhere near the playground or zoo. There have been many times when I have wished there was a place I could get a coffee or a muffin.

OK, we are talking two different things here. I can see that banning for-fee events in the park is probably silly.

On the other hand, I don't see the need for a place to get a coffee or muffin, or other stores or kiosks. As I said before, Cook Street Village is a 5 minute walk from the center of the park. Beacon Hill Park is a fraction of the size of Stanley Park - you don't need commercial services in the park because they are available close by.

As for the petting zoo - fine, but it could be anywhere, and I'd hardly call it a "vital" part of the park.

#146 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

The Beacon Drive-In is pretty much in the park, anyway. It's as near to the petting zoo, watering can, lookout, etc. as Goodacre Lake is.

#147 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

OK, we are talking two different things here. I can see that banning for-fee events in the park is probably silly.

On the other hand, I don't see the need for a place to get a coffee or muffin, or other stores or kiosks. As I said before, Cook Street Village is a 5 minute walk from the center of the park. Beacon Hill Park is a fraction of the size of Stanley Park - you don't need commercial services in the park because they are available close by.

An organization can offset costs of holding an event if they can rent some space to a food cart, or God forbid a beer garden.

I'd caution about letting the city RUN permanent services that compete with the private sector, but if they rented space, I'd be ok, then prices/costs will be in line. That's money for them on the lease to pay for the bridge.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#148 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

I think the zoo is pretty vital. It brings in a lot of people.

Ok put the coffee and the muffin thing down as a nice thing to have. But it is a wasted opportunity. There are many families that congregate near the playground and zoo that don't want to leave but must because of a hungry child etc. On a busy Sunday I think a small cafe would be very profitable. And that could mean tax dollars back in our pockets.

#149 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Speaking of the children's farm, they are running ads on CFAX.

#150 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

and the putting green was in excellent condition.

#151 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Popcorn vendors, roasted chestnuts, hot chocolate. All would be nice. A restaurant on Beacon Hill would be great. Concerts on those all weather fields by Dallas Roas would be nice too.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

Something like the Kiwanis Tea Room at Willows beach would be nice to have at Beacon Hill Park.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#153 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

I keep saying, turn the old checker-house into a park run fund-raising food/drink place.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#154 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

I don't see why the friends of Beacon Hill are against things that would raise money for park upkeep.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#155 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

Some people think it should be more of a tranquil garden/natural reserve and some people think it should be more of a bustling multi-purpose recreational space.

I'm starting to muse about the playing "field" across from the drive-in, and how that part of park could be really great if it were covered over with ponds and gardens and tall trees and walking paths and such.

#156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

Some people think it should be more of a tranquil garden/natural reserve and some people think it should be more of a bustling multi-purpose recreational space.

I'm starting to muse about the playing "field" across from the drive-in, and how that part of park could be really great if it were covered over with ponds and gardens and tall trees and walking paths and such.

I like the idea of it being a quiet place, I think we need that. But there is a lot of land to accommodate both uses.

#157 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

It's a recreational space designed both for traquility and activity. It used to be a race track for cryin' out loud.

#158 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

What is "field"? The park is full of ponds, gardens etc, and it also has some playing fields, like the one you're referring to. We used to play pick-up baseball there. Its good to have a mix.

I agree that the interpretation of the Trust vis-a-vis commercial activity is interpreted way too broadly.
Pieta VanDyke

#159 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

My wife is looking for a place to host a barbecue next month for about 30 employees and was considering Beacon Hill. I don't think they're allowed there (have never seen one anyways) but the city's dated website has no information on where they are or aren't allowed. Any thoughts?

#160 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

^ There was a group that was holding a picnic there (near the cricket pitch) a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday. It was some sort of organization, but sorry I can't remember who.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users