Photo

Beacon Hill Park, and the friends there of.

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#161 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I call the City's parks department direct at 250-361-0600.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

My wife is looking for a place to host a barbecue next month for about 30 employees and was considering Beacon Hill. I don't think they're allowed there (have never seen one anyways) but the city's dated website has no information on where they are or aren't allowed. Any thoughts?

I know you can get a permit to hold one at the grassy area adjacent Willows Beach.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#163 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Goldstream Park has a nice setup for stuff like that.

#164 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks, the city told her it's possible but a permit is required, so they'll just bring prepared food instead. Totally understandable to not allow barbecues there, what annoyed me more was the city's dated website and the lack of information on it about the park. Compare it to Saanich's site where you can get detailed info on all parks and even search by amenity...

#165 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

Victoria pushes plan to limit cars in Beacon Hill Park
Proposal targets short-cutters and speeders
By Bill Cleverley, timescolonist.com

A plan to stop motorists from using Beacon Hill Park as a shortcut by converting key internal roads into multi-use paths has been approved by a city committee.

Under the plan, which still needs the green light from city council and would cost an estimated $530,000, some park roads would close, some parking lots would be upgraded, signs would be added and new bicycle and walking trails would be created…

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/Victoria+pushes+plan+limit+cars+Beacon+Hill+Park/5564651/story.html#ixzz1b9oqRpnP

Well this ought to make the Friends of Beacon Hill Park squee with delight. The City is throwing HALF A MILLION DOLLARS at a problem no one other than NIMBY neighbours (and likely FBHP) knew we had. Hell, even staff recommends just traffic enforcement and minor road updates (e.g., speed bumps and narrowing).

Based on many of the comments on the comments on the TC site, I'm not the only one:
  • "How about filling in pot holes repairing broken sidewalks and removing overgrown weeds and trash."

• "I live in close proximity to the park and walk through daily. I have almost never had an issue with vehicles. The problem is the campers and crackheads who leave their trash all over when they go."

• "How about paving over the junkies"
  • And my personal favourite, "FORTIN MUST GO!!!!"

#166 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

How much do a few concrete barriers cost? Gimme a break. Mind you I'm happy a about the changes mostly.

#167 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

I like the idea of getting roads through the middle of the park, but what Beacon really needs is a decent sized parking lot somewhere.

Though putting money into this when the last time I checked the City had a priority to acquire park in the Burnside Gorge area. We are still at a net loss of parkland in the neighbourhood over the last five years, let alone achieving the increase called for in the previous OCP. I was told there was no money to buy the land..... $500,000 would have bought one of the properties needed. I have even seen several of the needed houses for sale in the last few years

#168 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

There's no reason to keep cars out of the park. It works just fine the way it is.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#169 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

I don't understand how the park could even be a shortcut. Are they talking about Circle Drive or something because that's a longer route than staying on Dallas. What is the problem here exactly? I really feel sorry for Victoria residents. Seriously wtf.

#170 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

There are no shortcuts, but there are uneccessary routes that are pretty much pointless. I would cut circle drive in half, cutting it off at the petting zoo east and beyond. What's the point of the whole circle drive for cars anyway?
The article says that they will expand the petting soon parking, so parking shouldn't be a concern.
Most of the route cutting through to the playground is pretty pointless as well.

#171 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

I think the point most of the responses to the article were striving for was is this the best use of another $500,000+ of taxpayers dollars at this time? I tend to think not.

#172 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,144 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Here is a view to ponder about municipal spending.

Fitting for this thread where such an idea for this park can cost so much.

http://www.globaltvb...6892/story.html

#173 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:03 PM

I like the idea of getting roads through the middle of the park, but what Beacon really needs is a decent sized parking lot somewhere.

Better give up on that dream, Bernard, they are actually taking the roads OUT of the park.

As others have said, this is a solution in search of a problem. Whats happened is that the city has hired some good park planners - nice guys - who have set up lots of consultations about BHP and other parks. Those who attend are self-selected, and guess what - they all have ideas about how to "improve" the park. Ideas that all cost money. Like other commentators, I travel through the park regularly, both on foot and short cutting through in my car. I have never seen any pedestrian/car conflicts or any speeders, but have seen lots of tourists and others enjoying the drive.

The city does not have spare cash sitting around for this kind of project. Councillors should vote no on this.
Pieta VanDyke

#174 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I have no idea what the park planners actually want to do, but I'd guess that the problem is Heywood(on the E side of the park before it widens to Cook)/Circle/Dallas. People move along that route at a pretty good clip, and I for one wouldn't mind if it was blocked off.

Chestnut, Bridge and Heywood could all go, with little harm to access, and a pretty good improvement to a large swath of the park.

On the other hand, I certainly hope there is more to it than closing some of these roads off, because $500k does seem excessive.

#175 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

There's no reason to keep cars out of the park. It works just fine the way it is.

I agree, but I like the way they have gone back to a more natural look in some areas by removing the grass and planting ferns.

Next thing they will want to change is to get rid of the ducks.

#176 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

I'd like to see the maps and plans before saying accepting or dismissing plans out of emotion.
I live close to the park and use it regularly. Quite a few times I have seen cars cutting through at high speed (for the park) from Cook St. to Government. This piece clearly needs some attention - if not simply to add sidewalks in areas where there are none (try walking with a stroller on the long grass). There is also an issue with the area around the main playground and the flower gardens - lots of close calls with little kids running across while drivers look at the scenery.

But isn't the real question about what the park is for? If people believe it is for driving everywhere, then perhaps the roads should stay open. If society has moved to where the park itself takes precedence and cars are secondary, then some further limitation is likely good.

Is 500,000 reasonable? I don't know - I'm not an engineer and don't pretend to be one. I guess a lot of coin can go into one parking lot, so I can see how it might add up. Besides, how much does one road repaving cost?
"I know nothing"

#177 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

over the decades , I have seen the park change in the face of lawyers and safety freaks destroying the fun and use of the park the big slide gone, hobby horse , fountain removed .bird aviary never maintained ,roads blocked,the checker board house closed ...parking removed ..as a kid I enjoyed the pool on the douglas side..a place to play and float and be a kid ..feed ducks and marvel at the swans .., now I understand the swan's eggs are destroyed so we do not have too many ..the park is no longer a nice place .no longer easy to visit , I cannot walk any distance ..the becon is no longer a place I will take my gand children ..the city and friends of becon hill park are driving people away ..myself ..I will leave it to the campers and junkies ,sorry to see Victoria die a slow and terrible death like so many american city's.............

#178 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

I lament the loss of the checker house and don't agree with the rather extreme view of what "commercial" activities are in the park, but I have no idea where you're getting the doom and gloom from. I use the park quite regularly and haven't ever seen a junkie and only a couple times campers, deep in the woods keeping to them selves. Over the course of my life I haven't noticed any sort of decline or decay in the park, if anything could be said it's slightly stagnant or under-utilized.

It's a lively busy place, packed in the summer! The petting zoo is renovated, a new water park built, exotic birds re-located to the petting zoo, and the peafoul keep strutting around.

Sometimes I really wonder about your perspective on the city. Are you wearing some special glasses that make the city look like 70's Harlem or something?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#179 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:52 PM

I doubt kenjh actually goes into Beacon Hill park (or any of Victoria for that matter), he just has an apocalyptic vision of everything.
There's plenty of fear-addled people like that around here. They never actually get out, they just make up their own version of reality where the city is falling apart to justify their reasons for never getting out of their own house.

Beacon Hill park is really nice. Luckily there's tons of non-delusional people who get to enjoy that.

#180 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

Yes, the day I keep lamenting about how everything used to be so much better back in "the day", is when I hope someone gives me a slap.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users