Art Deco from former Kresge building

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Here's a full frontal image:

The information on the present day utility box says the art deco panels were taken and placed around the city.

Here is one of them:

Questions:
Can anyone guess where I found it?

Does anyone know where I can find others?

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

That one is on Pandora at Government. Some of the others are on the McDonalds at Douglas and Broad.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

Here's that picture of the Kresge/Mark's and Spencer building just as the panels were being removed prior to demolition around 1987/88. McDonald's is under construction at the right:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

What a great store. It didn't change much over the years. You could find all sorts of old stuff in there. They didn't seem to update their stock often.
Very, very creaky floor boards. Woolworth's was a much better and had a coffee bar.

#5 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

There's one in good condition at Pandora & Government. McDonald's at View & Douglas has 11. There are 7 more to locate.

The McDonald's panels on the View side are faded and mostly covered with trees but there is a good one on Douglas Street. Why they didn't show them off more is a mystery to me. I'll post the rest of the photos tomorrow and keep looking for the other 7, that is, if they still exist.

#6 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

Those were the days. i think I shopped there with my mother (we left Victoria in 1947). Notice, no impregnable bubble packages. Counters were waist high (not comfortable for pregnant women) but low enough for a six year old to see over. Kids used to get jobs there during and after high school (instead of McDonald's or Starbucks).

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

The remaining panels may still be lying around in the City's Public Works Yard, with a lot of other heritage pieces. They must be rescued before they all disappear.

#8 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

Should I go down there? I could get some photos and start a campaign.

As an artist don't you hate the way McDonald's altered them to match "fries with ketchup?" McDecorating...

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

OMG I never noticed that!

#10 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

Original panel colours:

The present altered McDeco at Douglas & View Streets:

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

Oh, interesting. I never noticed that. It does clash compared to the nice blue.

#12 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:56 PM

evil!

#13 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:22 PM

While I agree that the red "frames" around the frozen fountain friezes (say that 3 times fast) is much less pleasing to the eye than the original cobalt blue, when I think of what might have happened to these beautiful pieces, it seems a minor price to pay for their preservation. As long as they exist there is hope that one day the "catsup-red" frames may be returned to their former glory, I mean how long can McD's stay in business anyway???

#14 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

I didn't even relate the design to "fountains" with the bubbles too. It was just an abstract design to my eyes.

Thanks!

#15 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:44 PM

Very Busby Berkeley.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#16 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

#17 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

There's one in good condition at Pandora & Government. McDonald's at View & Douglas has 11. There are 7 more to locate.

The McDonald's panels on the View side are faded and mostly covered with trees but there is a good one on Douglas Street. Why they didn't show them off more is a mystery to me. I'll post the rest of the photos tomorrow and keep looking for the other 7, that is, if they still exist.

It has been installed in the courtyard of the Leiser Lofts on Yates Street made from the former Leiser warehouses built during the gold rush.

This is the context:

The edging was removed along with the top half.

I got a chance to get up close and personal with this one so you can see the texture. I love these panels!

After taking the photo I ran into Rob. He says the other 7 panels are likely in the city yards, so that's my next trip.

#18 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:19 AM

Awesome Quest!

#19 Marilyn

Marilyn
  • 374 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

Thanks Caramia!

I'm sad that more beautiful decoration like that isn't used in buildings today.

#20 hoi polloi

hoi polloi
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

cheers, that was a lovely thread. would like to know if other pieces were recovered.

wonderful detail-deco is a favorite era. in have noticed a few very well maintained houses, with impeccable landscaping, around the city. or was it a town...

i vaguely remember coming over here when eatons existed, marks and spencer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users