Long Gone Attractions

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#221 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,980 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

what about the haunted house somewhere along belleville?  i barely remember it.

https://www.facebook...rshauntedhouse/

83928322_2397995410312355_81569098903637

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2020 - 01:28 PM.

#222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:32 PM

Wow. That’s before my time.

Is Miniature World the last tourism attraction remaining save for the museum? I can’t immediately think of anything else.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#223 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:37 PM

Yes, I was impressed by the haunted house but then again I was nine years old and at that age you're impressed by a bug on the sidewalk. 

It's now the Judge Place Hotel next to Captain's Palace. 

#224 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:17 PM

^Add to that the Classic Car Museum. I liked it but I love anything about cars. The annual Torquemasters exhibit in Sidney has 300 cars for free along Beacon Avenue and you can talk to the owners. Way more interesting even though it's only one weekend a year.

A lot of this is merely nostalgia for a distant time when we were more easily impressed.

The car museum closed before I moved here in late 2001 but I do clearly remember the stained glass sign on the corner. It stood for years... I wonder where it eventually ended up? 

#225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:31 PM

The car museum closed before I moved here in late 2001 but I do clearly remember the stained glass sign on the corner. It stood for years... I wonder where it eventually ended up? 

murray gammon was the proprietor.

https://www.pressrea...282677568118786

ended up opening the hotel grand pacific.

article says the cars were "dispersed around the world" afterwards.

son warren was around somewhere.  not sure if still.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2020 - 03:33 PM.

#226 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

Went to university with his son Earl Gammon, one of the funniest oddball guys I've ever encountered. Met Murray once or twice at the old Crest Hotel which was a favorite summer time patio "bevvie" haunt on the harbour, back in the 80's. Good man.

#227 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Wow. That’s before my time.

Is Miniature World the last tourism attraction remaining save for the museum? I can’t immediately think of anything else.

The bug zoo still exists, right?

#228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

Right!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#229 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

The Maritime museum also still exists, it is now between the Bug Zoo and Miniature world.  

Miniature world could be doing so much more, in Hamburg Germany their biggest tourism attraction now is Minutur-Wunderwelt and a quickly emerging tourism attraction in Osoyoos is the Desert Model Railroad

#230 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

^If Miniature World doubled its size would it double its audience? I'm not sure making it bigger would attract people on the fence deciding whether to visit it or not. Especially if the admission price was raised. Unless they added something spectacular. 

I'm still trying to finance my "Regular World" attraction that features everyday items at a 1:1 scale.

• Mike K. and aastra like this

#231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

if miniature world quintupled in size would it be miniature anymore?
  • Nparker likes this

#232 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:04 PM

Craigdarroch is still around of course too. Most of the meh tourist attractions are gone and I'm A okay with that.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#233 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Butchart Gardens is probably the biggest draw as a tourist attraction. 

#234 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:33 PM

^If Miniature World doubled its size would it double its audience? I'm not sure making it bigger would attract people on the fence deciding whether to visit it or not. Especially if the admission price was raised. Unless they added something spectacular.

I'm still trying to finance my "Regular World" attraction that features everyday items at a 1:1 scale.

You had me at “If Miniature World doubled in size....“

:-)

#235 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

I'm not sure making it bigger would attract people on the fence...

Why go to the trouble of crafting all of those miniatures if you're going to keep people on the fence and prevent them from viewing things up close? Or maybe your miniatures wouldn't be quite so miniature after all, but merely far away? That could be a clever cost-saving measure.

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#236 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

Craigdarroch Castle is really great, I have to say. I can spend hours in there. Looking forward to seeing the restored kitchen. (Which reminds me, what's the status of the basement? Does anybody here know?)

In my ideal world there would be gardens on at least some part of the lawn, and the parking surface all around would be changed to something a little more fitting to the atmosphere.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#237 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:02 PM

I think RBCM beat you to that punch. Fairly certain they have a pair of Hush Puppies in a case that are identical to the ones on my dad's shoe rack.

• Rob Randall and Victoria Watcher like this

#238 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

Craigdarroch Castle is really great, I have to say. I can spend hours in there. Looking forward to seeing the restored kitchen. (Which reminds me, what's the status of the basement? Does anybody here know?)

In my ideal world there would be gardens on at least some part of the lawn, and the parking surface all around would be changed to something a little more fitting to the atmosphere.

We went to a lot of National Trust mansions in England and typically instead of having the building surrounded by blacktopped parking like Craigdarroch the parking is set off at the far end of the property. Paths and driveways are fine gravel and the rest is lawn and gardens done in the style of the era. A much better showcase.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#239 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

Why go to the trouble of crafting all of those miniatures if you're going to keep people on the fence and prevent them from viewing things up close? Or maybe your miniatures wouldn't be quite so miniature after all, but merely far away? That could be a clever cost-saving measure.

video:  https://youtu.be/5NG7fAhvUcc

#240 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

murray gammon was the proprietor.

https://www.pressrea...282677568118786

ended up opening the hotel grand pacific.

article says the cars were "dispersed around the world" afterwards.

son warren was around somewhere.  not sure if still.

I was wondering about the current whereabouts of the sign.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users