Long Gone Attractions

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

Call up your parents right now and tell them how they ruined your childhood. Heartless savages.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:10 PM

^ how about someone starts an amusement park with a huge 3d map of BC?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 12:37 PM

I still haven't been in there, and I have no desire to either.

I too remember that amusement park on Vanalman...though I never went in it.

I want a theme park here too.....I say Ogden point, or Rock Bay

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

Ha ha, not you too? It's one thing for your parents not to take you to Fun City but to be driven back and forth past it all the time...that's cruel!

:lol:

Of course there is the long departed attractions on Belleville St. opposite where the Marguerite used to dock. They were "The Land of the Little People" and a haunted house in the old Mansion. I'll recycle my old commentary, along with a picture I took of the site in 1980:

The scale of the models in "The Land of the Little People" was inconsistent, but to a pre-teen boy it truly rocked. I don't remember it very well--little houses, buildings--probably a fake Eiffel Tower, that sort of thing. I wonder what happened to all of it. Note that is was an outdoor attraction--it was exposed to the elements year round so everything was durable.

The Haunted House attraction next door was pretty lame. In my opinion, painting something flourescent yellow or day-glo orange and playing a looped sound effect cassette tape of howling wind doesn't make it "haunted". I was a ****ing smart eight-year old--I didn't buy that ****.

Unfortunately, yet again, Scaper's mom wouldn't let him see the Haunted House. Scaper, I think your parents were overprotective. I bet you never saw the Chamber of Horrors in the Wax Museum, either.

Here you can see the Huntington Ramada being built over the back yard of the old house where the Land of the Little People was:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 01:52 PM

Didn't the haunted mansion have some type of elevator/room where a hanging picture appeared to become taller?

An 8-track tape would loop better than a cassette.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

Didn't the haunted mansion have some type of elevator/room where a hanging picture appeared to become taller?

An 8-track tape would loop better than a cassette.

Oh yeah--that rings a bell.

Ooh. Scary.

Good call on the 8-track.

#27 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:46 PM

I used to love that Haunted Mansion. I thought it was still there. Guess not.

Do you guys remember Huggy Bears? I went there once, it was this pizza parlour on the corner of Hillside and Quadra that was fashioned after Chuck-E-Cheeses. It burnt down sometime in the early 1990's I think it was, although the building still stands on that corner today.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

Ah, I thought I remembered a Chuck E. Cheese rip-off around there.

Wasn't Huggy Bear the street hustler/informer on Starsky and Hutch? I don't think that was the vibe a kid's restaurant was going for.

My only real memory of the Classic Car Museum on Douglas and Burdett was seeing one of President Kennedy's limos (not THE limo). It was grey with a grey interior--I was mesmerized by the plush carpeting and the seating. I was just a kid and I had never seen a limo before. I wish I could remember what other cars were there.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:57 PM

I used to love that Haunted Mansion. I thought it was still there. Guess not.

Do you guys remember Huggy Bears? I went there once, it was this pizza parlour on the corner of Hillside and Quadra that was fashioned after Chuck-E-Cheeses. It burnt down sometime in the early 1990's I think it was, although the building still stands on that corner today.

Yes, I recall. Wasn't that also a pet/fish store once too? Tropical Fins and Foliage?

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Right in front of that sad little strip mall. That whole block needs to be blown up.

Now I'm sounding like Jarrod.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

The Fun Zone in View Royal recently closed too.

Anyone been out to the All-Fun centre recently, since we are on a "fun" theme? It was always quite lame. I have a funny story about how Frank Wille chased us with a shovel in hand when we took a little detour onto Millstream Rd. when returning the go-carts to their garage one night (I used to work at Western Speedway).

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:06 PM

Also, did that slot car racing place close that was on Skinner St.?

Speedzone Raceways?

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

I think he'd forgive you today, R.I.P.

Then again, you don't **** with a guy that served in the German Wehrmacht in WW II.

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:29 PM

The only thing I remember in that two story building at Hillside and Quadra was "Chicken Shack". They advertised like crazy on local AM radio. I think it survived into the mid-1980s.

The batting cages at All Fun were pretty good.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

I think this may be our best amusement park now:

http://www.galeyfarms.com/maze.html

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

^ I know Bob Galey quite well. He's an alright guy in my books. His dad too. Cool how they got that train now.

I like the rides at the Stratosphere better:

http://www.stratosph... ... _ride.html

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:50 PM

^^^ Speaking of chicken, I see Chester Fried Chicken on Douglas has converted to another 99cent pizza place (it was owned by the same guy that owns the two exisitng 99cent places on Douglas)

And the dollar store on Douglas in the Oddfellows building has reopend under yet again new owners. (3rd owners in under a year).

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 05:04 PM

I've opened an attraction for kids called, "Holden West's No Fun City" featuring:

-vacuuming
-emptying ashtrays
-returning bottles to the liquor store

It's conveniently located in my apartment and the hours are weekdays whenever I'm away at work.

#39 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

I went to elementry and highschool with Bob Galey.

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

Sounds almost as fun as the game I have in my backyard Holden:
Collect the magic brown stuff my dog left.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users