Long Gone Attractions

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#161 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I wouldn't have expected to see Peacock Billiards listed as an attraction.

#162 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

LaserCity
Maritime Museum of BC
Miniature World
Pacific Undersea Gardens
Peacock Billiards
Royal BC Museum
Victoria Bug Zoo

If the font was slightly bigger that's plenty to fill up a travel brochure...

LaserCity
Maritime Museum of BC
Miniature World
Pacific Undersea Gardens
Peacock Billiards
Royal BC Museum
Victoria Bug Zoo

There. That's better.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#163 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Holden......you missed Wooded Wonderland in Saanich

Used to be at Beaver Lake Park and Humpty Dumpty sitting on his wall was visible from Pat Bay highway at Royal Oak
All the old trails are still there. The actually had a real mouse in one of the scenes( The mouse ran up the clock)

Also I have a photo of Maritime Museum before Bastion Square when it used to be on Esquimalt road at the entrance to Dockyard I'll post photo later when I am home

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

I peered into the Empire Theatres video arcade the other day, it was pretty dead at 7pm, maybe three folks in there. Did they just renovate the place?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#165 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

^^^ Don't forget Rudy's Zoo and that attraction at Beaver Lake that had Humpty Dumpty sitting on the wall. (I can't recall the name)

#166 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

I edited my list to include Wooded Wonderland. Thanks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#167 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

Have, I recall wooded wonderland.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#168 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

That current list does not have the art gallery on it... Also as for frontier village up the road from that loaction is a current attraction that i only found out about last year. Caleb Pike Historical Site or something similar. I have yet to actually get out and walk around but looks a little more real than the Heritage Acres.

http://maps.google.c...109.24,,0,-9.32

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#169 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

The Frontier Village was known to us local kids as "Carlow's Ghost Town". There used to be a six or eight foot fence around it with the top cut to resemble log a stockade (like an old fort). I haven't been to the Log House in a while but afew years ago there was still a section of that old fence bordering the pub parking lot. The ghost town was guarded by a couple of ferocious German Shepherds who we used to drive wild by tossing stuff over the fence everytime we walked past....little buggers!

#170 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

Caleb Pike House is a Heritage site not an attraction. The site contains an an old house,school and workshop.
People live in the house but the ground are open to public.
Highlands Dist uses it for various events throughout the year I believe that there is a gardening event there this weekend so that would be a great time to see inside the one room schoolhouse

#171 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Children's Petting Zoo.

/I miss the Crystal Gardens (not BC Experience, but before that) the most

#172 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

The haunted house-esque tour thing that was in the basement of Trounce alley is also gone.

#173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

^that was sweet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#174 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

Interesting. The other day I was going over the DVBA list of businesses, and indeed the list was short under the category "attractions".

LaserCity
Maritime Museum of BC
Miniature World
Pacific Undersea Gardens
Peacock Billiards
Royal BC Museum
Victoria Bug Zoo

Now, bear in mind, that's only downtown stuff. But it does still make me wonder what people do once they get here. Is our shopping all that exceptional? We really could use something more for kids, couldn't we? Maybe twice a day we could have go-carts run up the Goose and back.

I guess my thought is that we still think we need this stuff when we don't. How many "attractions" does Vancouver have?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#175 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Would not Point Ellice House be a Victoria attraction? Or do they need to be dvba members?

#176 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Would not Point Ellice House be a Victoria attraction? Or do they need to be dvba members?

The DVBA's boundaries are pretty tight. I doesn't even include most of Harris Green, let alone the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria or Pt. Ellice House.

That Wooded Wonderland is quite a bizarre concept. Only during that time would it have been possible to own five acres of lush forest near a capital city, fill it with a few concrete knickknacks and make a profit. Who owns that land today? How much is it worth?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#177 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

How's the vital signs on mini-golf around the CRD?

Mattick's Farm still up and running I think.

Sookey Sam's

Blenkinsop Valley

Colwood mini-golf is gone

There is a new one at City Centre Park, right?

Bushwackers mini golf on Sooke Rd.?

Elk Lake?

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Mattick's farm mini golf is pretty sad these days.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#179 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:02 AM

This wasnt so much an attraction but a visible fun place for kids.

Toms Thumb Safety Village was original on the Island Highway at the Juan De Fuca Rec Centre

It was in the parking lot next to the Centennial Pool (current Library) across from where the McDonalds is now. In the later 70s it moved out of sight to the lower fields.

The had a scale city with roads and traffic lights etc and pedal cars that kids would use to learn about rules of the road

#180 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users