Photo

Smoking advertising

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

Did anyone read that article in the TC the other day about the poor guy who runs the smoke shop on Government in that great old heritage building?

Essentially he's a tragic, almost comic, victim of one massive hand of government bureaucracy not knowing what the other is doing. The new health laws say you can't publicly advertise or display any tobacco products and has been telling him unless he makes alterations to his building he's going to start receiving monthly fines. The city tells him if he touches the outside of his building they will fine him up to a million dollars and potential jail time. Both government agencies are fully aware of the other's demands and the situation it's put him in, but neither will budge or talk to the other.

How the hell do situations like this come about and what sort of stubborn pig-headed arrogance does it take for the two agencies to be unable to compromise??

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

Here's that old ad from the UVic Martlet:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

I find it ironic that a corner store across the street from Spectrum High and Marigold Elementary has a flimsy (and usually partially open) curtain over the cigarettes. Yet all the drug paraphernalia, like rolling papers, bongs, pipes, wallets and weed and seed containers with leaf logos plastered on them etc. etc. are right there in a large, prominent display case at the cashier.

I'm not a smoking fan, but the effect this bylaw has had on the appearance of downtown businesses like Morris Tobacconist annoys me.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:07 AM

It more than annoys me.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:32 AM

Pretty ridiculous eh?

I suppose that if he took any fine to court he would win.

Here is another funny thing. City Hall News has dutifully covered up its cigarette display behind the counter, but now has added a sign on his front door that was not there previously. It's crude and hand-written, but says "we sell cigarettes".

I forget exactly what the bylaw says regarding that type of sign. It's not "advertising", just an informative sign.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

Has anyone seen the Cigar shop at Store and Pandora? Massive signs saying Tabacco Control Act Compliant since 1996

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Has anyone seen the Cigar shop at Store and Pandora? Massive signs saying Tabacco Control Act Compliant since 1996

Well, that's the thing exactly. How is a store that only sells tobacco products etc. supposed to advertise on its sign what it is?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:31 PM

And how much of those taxes generated from cigarette sales actually go back to helping folks with cigarette-linked diseases, which is what we've been lead to believe is the reason for these taxes?

Very little. Why? 'Cause cigarette smokers, when they fall ill, tend to die pretty darn quick and their hospice care is significantly shorter and less costlier than an otherwise non-smokers care is. So the real question is, where's the money going, and why does the tax keep increasing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:57 PM

Perhaps if he was advertising GHB or grow-op supplies he would be allowed to continue.

Reminds me of the Quebec sign law, totally foolish and absurd.

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

Tobacco shop's antique signs OK
Tom McMillan, Times Colonist
Published: Friday, May 30, 2008

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

I thought the single most hilarious statement in the entire article was this, by Richard Stanwick:

"He'll continue to have his shop and we'll ensure health of the public will be protected," said Dr. Richard Stanwick, the health authority's chief medical health officer.

So bullying business owners over advertising constitutes protecting the public's health? OMG, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto...

Does he really believe that this sort of micromanaging over what the public can or cannot see in public space constitutes "protecting" the public's health?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users