• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#61 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

Can't be any more unsightly than some recycling bins ;)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

An abandonded sofa has been sitting on the sidewalk between my building and Sands Funeral Chapel's parking lot for over 2 weeks now. There is no sign it is going anywhere. I know my strata has no intention of paying to have it removed, and I guess Sands assumes it is not on their property (although it is west of my strata's westernmost property line). Apparently the 2 seat cushions on it were a hot commodity because they disappeared after barely a day, never to be seen again. By the looks of things, this piece of s*** is here for long haul. :whyme:

I saw that. Call the City on Monday, they'll come get it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Call the City on Monday, they'll come get it.

Funny, a lot of city workers (garbage, traffic Nazis etc.) must have seen this over the past 2 weeks. I guess they assumed it was some sort of new public art.

#64 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Funny, a lot of city workers (garbage, traffic Nazis etc.) must have seen this over the past 2 weeks. I guess they assumed it was some sort of new public art.

Well, I suppose they aren't looking for trouble. But my experience is if you report it, they'll come get it. If they don't get it in 24 hours, call again, but to the fire department non-emergency and say every night you see kids lighting it on fire and dragging it up against nearby propane tanks at the auto shop there.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#65 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

...say every night you see kids lighting it on fire and dragging it up against nearby propane tanks at the auto shop there.

And then dragging it back to Sands every morning?:squint:

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

And then dragging it back to Sands every morning?:squint:

...for the final cremation... :cheers:

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Today...

Dear VHF:

Thank you for contacting the City of Victoria Public Works.

Your message has been dispatched to the Street Cleaning Department.

We appreciate your email.

A dispatch has been made!

#68 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

It's all about intention, isn't it? If you leave something out and hope it will be useful to someone else, and then remove it in a few days, that's okay. But what happens all the time, is that people are too lazy or too cheap to haul something away. So they just abandon it, and hope someone else will take care of it. Funny isn't it, that these folks put their trash out when no one can see them.

The City of Victoria pays $100,000 each year, just to pick up abandoned crap from the boulevards.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

It's all about intention, isn't it? If you leave something out and hope it will be useful to someone else, and then remove it in a few days, that's okay. But what happens all the time, is that people are too lazy or too cheap to haul something away. So they just abandon it, and hope someone else will take care of it. Funny isn't it, that these folks put their trash out when no one can see them.

The City of Victoria pays $100,000 each year, just to pick up abandoned crap from the boulevards.

Well, to be fair, they also pay a few million dollars for "free" garbage pick-up from SFD's. I'm not even sure if MFDs that pay for their own garbage pickup and recycling get a discount off property taxes.

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm not even sure if MFDs that pay for their own garbage pickup and recycling get a discount off property taxes.

I am not sure I see any discounts on my taxes.

BTW I will see in about 15 minutes if the city has removed the aforementioned sofa.

Update: The sofa is GONE! Thanks VHF. :thumbsup:

#71 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well, to be fair, they also pay a few million dollars for "free" garbage pick-up from SFD's. I'm not even sure if MFDs that pay for their own garbage pickup and recycling get a discount off property taxes.

Isn't all the cost recovered through the garbage taxes?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Isn't all the cost recovered through the garbage taxes?

What taxes aren't garbage taxes? :banana:

#73 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

For years this concrete bed has stood on teh corner.
people walk by and have a look at it .
Some sit
Some scratch their heads.
In the many years that it has stood there I do not think that it has ever fallen victim to a hand held spray can of paint.

Well I was out an about on Sunday.
Cruising around on foot looking for some photography subjects.
I found lots.
From bums and vagabonds to garbage and buildings.
The photography subject matter is endless.
I felt like Fred Hertzog but instead of roamming around the streets of Vancouver looking for things to shoot I was in Victoria on a rainy day.
Rainy days are the best for street photgraphy. T
he lighting.
The reflection.
The Mood.
It all comes together much better than a sunny day.

Well I headed off to Mason Street where I spottted something interesting.
It was abandoned street furniture.
I wondered who slept on it.
Who was conceived on it.
Who was killed on it.
The answers were not there.

What was there was evidence that this pallette was far to tempting for someone.

I wondered how was it possible for a cement bed to sit so long without so much as a leaf falling on it. maybe a passed out reveller sleeping at its foot but never the mark of an artist.

My very first find of Tagged King Size Bed

#74 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

Awesome!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#75 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:23 PM

At first glance I thought Juan Franciso had been hosting a very large bird but on closer inspection it looks more like paint, Add some marker and we have to ask: what did this Spanish Captain ever do to anyone?

quadra_bust.jpg quadra_plaque.jpg

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

If the Spanish had maintained their presence instead of the English, this area would have turned out quite different. It's an interesting thought experiment. No Hudsons Bay, no Fort Victoria.

From a First Nations perspective I imagine they would have been better off under the Jesuits, although it would be the lesser of two evils.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Good catch. How recent is this, tedward?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

I don't know, a brief review tells me Quadra was more into trade where Cook and Vancouver had conquest on their minds. So maybe Quadra wasn't such a bad dude.

#79 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

I took the picture the other day but it was still there this morning.

#80 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 08 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

A quick follow-up (and interesting trivia note): the bust for Juan Francisco de la Bodega y Quadra was cleaned up, probably for the visit last week from the Peruvian Navy who left this:

quadra_wreath.jpg

They placed a wreath at the cenotaph as well but I thought it was interesting that they remember Quadra who I presume was significant in their history as a colony.

Edited by tedward, 08 June 2015 - 11:33 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users