Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1460 replies to this topic

#321 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 12:55 PM

It's pretty obvious that this is the beginning of the end for the museum, as it's the third floor that's the only reason most locals ever make repeat visits to the museum, and is the show-stopper for first time visitors.

That museum management has utterly lost their way is painful to watch for long time residents and supporters of the museum, and the eventual disfavor the museum will fall into with rank and file British Columbians will no doubt lead to some sort of closure, and yet further re-examining of the need to pander endlessly to a small percentage of the population of B.C.

If you were to ask folks from out of Province, they'd tell you the museum was chalk full of First Nations history ... but that they enjoyed the entire museums arching demonstration of the history of B.C. as it is, and was  experienced by everybody who lives, or has lived here.

While they are at it they should remove any displays that show FN in a primitive or unsophisticated light.

I have heard that the new display at the RCBM will focus on the experiences of black Canadians in Victoria and the racism and harrassment they overcome.

#322 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 12:57 PM

It's pretty obvious that this is the beginning of the end for the museum, as it's the third floor that's the only reason most locals ever make repeat visits to the museum, and is the show-stopper for first time visitors.

I think that it was the beginning of the end when they ran an exhibit featuring replicas of DaVinci's work and crap that was hauled out of the garbage bins at the British National Museum and tried to pass the exhibits off as masterful works. 

#323 Fox

Fox
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:00 PM

me too.

i'm not kidding when i say looking into the ship "water" fascinated me as a kid.

attachicon.gif screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2021.11.03-16_53_21.png

i also played in the fridge box too.

I still remember the square head nails holding up a poster next to the ship... such a small attention to detail, which caught my eye as a kid.  These exhibits were special, they even managed to capture the smells with the creosote wood etc.  

The mining exhibit was also very interesting, it allowed me as a kid to get an idea of what my grandfather did as a miner.

• aastra and North Shore like this

#324 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,337 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:05 PM

hopefully they do not cancel the woolly mammoth rides.

#325 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:08 PM

I feel like I need to rush out and see it one last time. Old Town was the best part and the display cases with "stuff" from each decade was fascinating. If all that is fascinating disappears, I will no longer be visiting. We had a family pass when my daughter was little and went often just to soak it all in. The Old Town at Christmas was especially nice....guess it was too wicked or something. 

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:08 PM

That museum management has utterly lost their way is painful to watch for long time residents and supporters of the museum, and the eventual disfavor the museum will fall into with rank and file British Columbians will no doubt lead to some sort of closure, and yet further re-examining of the need to pander endlessly to a small percentage of the population of B.C.

If you were to ask folks from out of Province, they'd tell you the museum was chalk full of First Nations history ... but that they enjoyed the entire museums arching demonstration of the history of B.C. as it is, and was experienced by everybody who lives, or has lived here.

Those displays are a history of civilization, for better or worse. Those displays are important, and we can recontextualize them, but to remove them is so shortsighted.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#327 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:11 PM

I also think kids liked them best.  and it does not always have to be about learning.  sometimes especially with younger kids you have to entertain.   

And I think for many locals or frequent visitors it's still the most memorable and rewarding part.  it's great to go back to years later. 

but the woke wreck everything good.

• phx and mbjj like this

#328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:13 PM

...but the woke wreck everything good.

:thumbsup:

#329 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

I guess it comes down to whether less than 5% of the population of B.C. should be dictating to the remaining 95% of the population what they can, or can't see in their Provincial Museum, or whether British Columbians even deserve a Provincial Museum in the first place.

My previous posts here (and elsewhere) demonstrate that I'm very supportive of First Nations issues ... but I also understand that it's important for those whose job it is to record (and re-tell) history to always maintain a balance, to accept that it's the year 2021, and to understand that not every resident of B.C. wants a Provincial Museum that's primarily focused on viewing the entire history of B.C. through a First Nations lens, especially if that lens is solely focused on highlighting the misdeeds of the evil, colonizing white man.

There are lots of folks in B.C. who want to visit their Provincial Museum in order to understand what their ancestors and relatives lives were like working in the fishing, mining, and logging industries in B.C. ... and these folks should get, and indeed deserve an accurate re-telling of the history they're interested in learning about.

Although I remain very supportive of First Nations issues, I'm also keenly aware that therein lies the potential for massive overreach, if not outright abuse, from both militant First Nations, and SJW white folks with an agenda they wish to shove down he throats of all British Columbians, including those whose interest in the history of B.C. is far different than their own.

SJW's who undertake to re-write and re-interpret B.C.'s history in some twisted, nonsensical effort focused not on an accurate re-telling of B.C.'s history, but rather on acquiring their university doctorate. 

I'm equally not interested in having B.C.'s history "manipulated" by the RBCM Board and management in order to appease an unidentified segment of a single digit percentage of B.C.'s total population.

Well said.

Please mail your concerns to the museum.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#330 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 01:53 PM

I guess they will now have room to show the First Nations slave pens and displays of how far down the coast the Vancouver Island tribes raided in order to enslave and capture their labour force, Maybe a separate display on the treatment of women slaves. . 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#331 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:01 PM

hopefully they can explore some of the transgender stories of the people pre-contact.

• Matt R. likes this

#332 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:08 PM

Well said.

Please mail your concerns to the museum.  

Better approach is to target the RBCM board members and their employers. Matthew Rainsberry is the board President and is a financial advisor at BMO.

Edited by spanky123, 03 November 2021 - 02:09 PM.

#333 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,337 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:19 PM

The museum has not specified what will be replacing the old galleries or by when, but it has committed to exhibits that accurately represent the province’s history and diversity of people. New galleries will reflect the experiences and contributions of South Asian, Black, Chinese, Japanese, First Nations, Metis, and Inuit communities, among others, according to the museum’s modernization plan.

https://www.vicnews....nial-narrative/

#334 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:26 PM

Those displays are a history of civilization, for better or worse. Those displays are important, and we can recontextualize them, but to remove them is so shortsighted.

I didn't read anywhere in the Museum's statement that they were being permanently removed.  That came from the TC article only and there is no source attributed.  Are we sure they are being removed? Not just updated?

#335 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:27 PM

Europeans need not apply.

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#336 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:27 PM

I love the comment about the RBCM displays being widely criticized. Really, outside of a few local FN members who are upset at RBCM leadership, where else has this been widely reported?

I wonder if the RBCM will cut its fees if only 2/3rds of the exhibits are available?

#337 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:48 PM

i'm not kidding when i say looking into the ship "water" fascinated me as a kid.

Yep, me too. There are details like that throughout the RBCM. But that's the problem. Those detailed "show, don't tell" exhibits only encouraged individuals to exercise their own imaginations and freedom of thought.

#338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 02:51 PM

I didn't read anywhere in the Museum's statement that they were being permanently removed.  That came from the TC article only and there is no source attributed.  Are we sure they are being removed? Not just updated?

Good question. I wonder if they gleaned something in their interview process that suggested replacement/removal was the plan.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#339 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 04:44 PM

That means many exhibits in the Becoming B.C. Gallery chronicling early European settler history — such as Old Town, the logging and fishery industries and Capt. George Vancouver’s ship, Discovery — could disappear.

The museum’s acting CEO, Daniel Muzyka, said decolonization of the museum’s galleries is “important and long overdue.”

“This is necessary to begin the long-term work of creating new narratives that include under-represented voices and reflect the lived experiences and contemporary stories of the people in B.C.,” Muzyka said in a statement Wednesday.

Seems to me that Reconciliation has been repurposed to divide society and increase hate.

• Nparker, sebberry, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#340 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 05:20 PM

This is the beginning of the museum’s modernization plan. The entire site will be redeveloped within 10 years. To upgrade the building, all exhibits and collections will be removed.

https://www.royalbcm...oject-overview/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users