Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#521 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:21 PM

Have you been denied a job because of the colour of your skin?   Have you had to take a "different test" for job entry because of your gender?

Nope, but that’s because I’m a white male. I’m sure I’ve gotten a few jobs in my lifetime because I was a white male and the other candidates were not. I’m also sure my career advancement has been easier because I’m a male. And I’m also sure my case isn’t anecdotal because the stats for DECADES on end back me up.

So what was your point again?

#522 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:27 PM

Nope, but that’s because I’m a white male. I’m sure I’ve gotten a few jobs in my lifetime because I was a white male and the other candidates were not. I’m also sure my career advancement has been easier because I’m a male. And I’m also sure my case isn’t anecdotal because the stats for DECADES on end back me up.

Opposite from me.  I went through the late 80s early 90s job market.  I was disallowed because I was not female and was white.  Most of my bosses have been female and many not white.

I suppose it depends on the market you are getting into, but I have been through decades of paying because of my gender and the colour of my skin.

What was your point again?

#523 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:37 PM

I’m sorry to hear that On The Level - especially because your experience goes against the grain, so that must be frustrating. If we are to measure success by salary and/or positions held by males at senior levels then white males have always been and remain the clear ‘winners’ almost across the board. Although I don’t know the line of work you’re in, I imagine you’re also sympathetic to non-white females who’ve been similarly screwed over for decades/centuries now.

#524 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,868 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:44 PM

That you should voluntarily take a few years off working and give some BIPOCs a chance.  Since you recognize your privilege.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 November 2021 - 06:45 PM.

#525 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:47 PM

/\ Exactly my plan and very soon VW. But in the meantime I’m advocating for improved diversity and inclusion within the workplace, and it surprising how much of an impact you can have being a white male.. rather ironic and telling.

#526 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:09 PM

While I made out fine decades later, it is the principle of the whole thing.  Now we see another political wave that is about to hit my kids.  Just like the last time, it will only punish those that had no part in it.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#527 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:26 PM

Opposite from me.  I went through the late 80s early 90s job market.  I was disallowed because I was not female and was white.  Most of my bosses have been female and many not white.

I suppose it depends on the market you are getting into, but I have been through decades of paying because of my gender and the colour of my skin.

I was interviewing and hiring people during that period, after the interview the bosses would come around and ask how the female candidate did, never once asked about a male candidate.

I got to hire people that were best suited for the job, I didn't care if they were young/old, female/male or any colour, unlike how things are rolling out now.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#528 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:59 PM

/\ Exactly my plan and very soon VW. But in the meantime I’m advocating for improved diversity and inclusion within the workplace, and it surprising how much of an impact you can have being a white male.. rather ironic and telling.

You’re certainly very forward with your ideas and criticisms of others, that’s for sure!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#529 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 08:13 PM

If you’re not happy you can always change things.

#530 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 08:22 PM

You’re certainly very forward with your ideas and criticisms of others, that’s for sure!

Really? I guess I don’t see it. I mean compared to the 14,000 (rough estimate) posts criticizing Victoria City Council this past year, I’m responsible for maybe 0.1% of those. Of the 2,121 (rough estimate) posts criticizing Bonnie Henry and the provincial government I’m responsible for 0.01% of those. As for calling out people on bs statements, yah, I’ll do that occasionally. Today I suggested politely to a member that perhaps finding a way to express his disapproval over the establishment of the White People Party would be a good way to combat the racial division he was worried about. It wasn’t meant as a criticism of him at all. I believe it’s also fair to say I’ve never really criticized you, or dozens and dozens of other VV members. Sure, the nut bars and conspiracy theorists, I’ve gone a bit overboard there, but I’ve apologized and I’m in a 12 step program on how to effectively deal with people like that. To be fair I think I’ve gone after PPPDev a couple times, and deservedly so, but in a relatively fair manner. I feel bad for calling out AGirlCalledNoOne when she called the anti-vaxer, conspiracy theorist cop a hero - I could have approached that more gently. Anyways, I’m working on not huffing and puffing over things I can’t control.

Edited by zoomer, 21 November 2021 - 08:23 PM.

#531 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 08:37 PM

Just teasing, it’s all good.
  • zoomer and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#532 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 08:58 PM

Lol, I know - sometimes conversations get too serious on here. My job (for which you pay me handsomely) is to playfully poke at people, including myself in order to lighten things up. I should really change my username from Zoomer to The Playful Poker..

#533 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:25 PM

Zoos are cool. I wish we had a zoo in Victoria, I guess we have the bug zoo
  • todd likes this

#534 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 09:46 PM

Zoos are cool. I wish we had a zoo in Victoria, I guess we have the bug zoo

It's all about perspective.  Some would say Victoria is a zoo......Langford is a zoo....Bike Lanes are a zoo.  See?  There is always a new way of looking at things towards inclusivity.  It's all about the equity lens.

#535 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 10:31 PM

Oh man Todd - I thought you were part of the Zoo Boycott (Girlcott?) Alliance!? Zoos are mini replicas of Colonialism in action. I still feel great guilt going to Sealand of the Pacific, which was basically a backyard pool with an orca in it. Or were there two. Hey, we learn from our past right? Next it'll be the petting zoo, eventually the bug zoo on the chopping block.

#536 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:37 AM

Oh man Todd - I thought you were part of the Zoo Boycott (Girlcott?) Alliance!? Zoos are mini replicas of Colonialism in action. I still feel great guilt going to Sealand of the Pacific, which was basically a backyard pool with an orca in it. Or were there two. Hey, we learn from our past right? Next it'll be the petting zoo, eventually the bug zoo on the chopping block.

877A6138-4F1B-4B0C-B898-7B0BBA02EC6A.jpeg

@ Royal BC Museum

Edited by todd, 22 November 2021 - 04:38 AM.

#537 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 04:52 AM

It's all about perspective.  Some would say Victoria is a zoo......Langford is a zoo....Bike Lanes are a zoo.  See?  There is always a new way of looking at things towards inclusivity.  It's all about the equity lens.

VV is a zoo?

#538 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:35 AM

I’m sorry to hear that On The Level - especially because your experience goes against the grain, so that must be frustrating. 

All depends on career path. Life and selection are quite different in academia and investment banking as examples!

#539 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:43 AM

Civil service pay rates are dismal. Benefits are good as well at vacation days. For me to do an equivalent job in the bcgeu it’s a 25% pay cut.

Sure but add in the pension, days off and reduced work week and it nets out.

#540 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 07:45 AM

That seems like terrible pay when dishwashers are making $45k a year.

Well when you consider that the people who will be "awarded" the jobs will likely have zero experience other than a sessional teaching role at UVIC then $90K isn't a bad gig.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users