Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#561 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

So you are angry you weren’t consulted on how the museum is run? How much say do you get in the operation of other government institutions? Do you get to decide how the legislature is run? How a hospital is renovated? How a highway is built? How a ferry is scheduled? All of these are 100% taxpayer funded to a much higher tune that the $12m you mention the museum receives. Where is your indignation about the lack of consultation on there?

#562 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:32 AM

Almost unanimously those things are all handed over to experts and professionals who follow government code, and after lengthy community consultation. And the Legislature is operated well, no complaints. We even got rid of the bad apples.

The museum is a social product, and it belongs to all British Columbians. Learning it is suddenly being changed is like learning a hospital is becoming a hotel and a new highway bike-only. It’s expected people would be upset by these changes if not consulted.

How the museum is pursuing its agenda feels like a top-down directive and that’s not a relationship-building way to go about things.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#563 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:35 AM

We got that log splitter from the Leg too.

#564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

Not sure about that. It was auctioned off ages ago, wasn’t it?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#565 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:37 AM

So you are angry you weren’t consulted on how the museum is run? How much say do you get in the operation of other government institutions? Do you get to decide how the legislature is run? How a hospital is renovated? How a highway is built? How a ferry is scheduled? All of these are 100% taxpayer funded to a much higher tune that the $12m you mention the museum receives. Where is your indignation about the lack of consultation on there?

I recognize the convenience of using binary arguments to minimize the optics and impact of RBCM changes but what gets lost in this tactic, perhaps conveniently, is the context and nuance of this particular situation.

It's not apples to apples and comparing as such is problematic and suggests downplaying that becomes unhelpful in today's politically charged environment.
  • Nparker likes this

#566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:42 AM

Hold on, the splitter might have ended up at surplus.

I should have bought it.
  • Matt R. and todd like this

Know it all.

#567 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:10 AM

Hold on, the splitter might have ended up at surplus.

I should have bought it.

I think the RCMP might still be using it. They borrowed it at least twice
https://globalnews.c...er-seized-rcmp/

If ever there was something to be put in a museum..

Edited by todd, 05 December 2021 - 11:17 AM.

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:23 AM

No kidding.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#569 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:26 AM

Amazing:

In his defence, James said the wood splitter was purchased for “earthquake preparedness and disaster recovery” and could be used to rescue people and also for firewood if there was no heat in the legislature building.

…I don’t think the gentleman understands the function of a wood splitter. How/why you’d use it in a life-saving rescue operation has yet to be clarified.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#570 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:26 PM

I think what angers most people is the way in which this was handled. You made a very good case a couple of weeks back for updating the museum. It hasn't been updated for years and could use more interactive content and a refreshing of some of the older displays. Had the RBCM said that then most people would have been happy, continued their memberships and supported the changes.

Instead the RBCM board and CEO needlessly (IMHO) picked a fight with the public by linking colonialism and reconciliation with the project.

What I find ironic is that the board seems to be saying is that they don't care about the local community as they feel that tourism will pay the bills going forward while at the same time their SJW friends in council seem determined to kill off tourism as it represents wealth and inequity. 

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

#571 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:34 PM

I’m more concerned the changes make the museum less popular.

Like our art gallery. Sucks up lots of tax dollars, nobody visits. Because it’s sh*tty.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 December 2021 - 12:35 PM.

#572 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:10 PM

...Like our art gallery. Sucks up lots of tax dollars, nobody visits. Because it’s sh*tty.

That's mostly because of its s****y location. I doubt 20% of the region could tell you where the AGGV is located.

#573 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:26 PM

I’m more concerned the changes make the museum less popular.

maybe it will give a chance for a Ripley's Believe It or Not to move in?

Edited by todd, 05 December 2021 - 02:33 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#574 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:41 PM

That's mostly because of its s****y location. I doubt 20% of the region could tell you where the AGGV is located.

can you explain to me why that that kind of language is necessary to get your point across: https://youtu.be/LupiIpft8fc

#575 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:44 PM

I am just wondering why bother with the massive purchase of the property in Colwood?  They can just give most First Nations artifacts back to First Nations.  Was this more to do with creating a warehouse to hide anything to do with the history of British Columbia, good, bad or indifferent?

#576 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:16 PM

Some artifacts belong to multiple nations, so there would be contention trying to attribute items to individual nations.

Know it all.

#577 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:16 PM

There's no need to warehouse the parts of BC history that the SJWs find offensive, at least not while there is an easily accessible harbour only steps away from the RBCM.

#578 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:18 PM

Some artifacts belong to multiple nations, so there would be contention trying to attribute items to individual nations.

If only there were a single location where such artifacts could be maintained for the benefit of all people of British Columbia.

#579 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:23 PM

Good grief! ... that's the worst straw-man I've ever laid eyes on!

Absolutely abysmal ... even for a straw-man!

• Nparker likes this

#580 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:47 AM

There surely are more people involved in the process of redesigning the third floor, but Muzyka and Mark have anointed themselves the spokespersons for that process. Thus far they have not informed the public of those plans at all.

No concept or details have been made public. Do they even know what is going to happen to the third floor once it’s gutted?

As a sworn public servant and the head of a public institution, Mark and Muzyka have a duty to be honest with people. There are no consequences for either of them to do so. For now, they seem content to wait until Old Town is a pile of rubble for that to happen.

Calling it a disgrace is an understatement, but it doesn’t matter to either of them. Let them eat rubble?

https://www.timescol...u-think-4832586

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 December 2021 - 04:47 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users