Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#721 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:26 PM

To start packing.

So if the RBCM is closing in its entirety in September, why did the Old Town exhibit have to close months earlier?

#722 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:28 PM

The entire senior management has been replaced.

#723 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:32 PM

Can you lay this out for us?

#724 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:35 PM

$789 million, over eight years. Are there no other things nearly a billion could be spent on? We have under-developed highways, a doctor shortage, at-capacity hospitals, and on it goes.
  • Nparker, Matt R., dasmo and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#725 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:39 PM

New ceo hired, all former VP’s have left, new VP of UNDRIP hiring process currently underway. Former head of the board has stepped down.

https://leadersinter...implementation/

Edited by Dexter, 13 May 2022 - 04:42 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#726 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 05:25 PM

$789 million, over eight years. Are there no other things nearly a billion could be spent on? We have under-developed highways, a doctor shortage, at-capacity hospitals, and on it goes.

My thoughts exactly. The timing on this project is nucking futs.

#727 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:31 PM

New ceo hired, all former VP’s have left, new VP of UNDRIP hiring process currently underway. Former head of the board has stepped down.

https://leadersinter...implementation/

Hey Dexter, are you able to confirm that the photo I provided two pages back with Crowfoot is the CEO?

#728 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:32 PM

CHEK news poll shows 85% of people in Victoria are racist because they think this is a stupid plan.

Edited by spanky123, 13 May 2022 - 08:09 PM.

• Nparker, Barrrister and Spy Black like this

#729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 07:45 PM

Could this be the NDP’s own Fortin’s Folly?

Nearly a billion bucks. My gosh.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#730 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:41 PM

It will be a lot more than eight years to have the museum rebuilt judging by how government projects run. This is just stupid.

• Spy Black likes this

#731 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:13 PM

For a billion dollars and a decade closed, this museum better be the Taj Mahal of museums. Sadly, I’m sure it will be a limp biscuit filled entirely with First Nations programming… which will eventually be deemed racist for some reason or another since the woke left continually eats itself.
Edit- I also predict it will have a new unprounanceable name.

Edited by max.bravo, 13 May 2022 - 09:14 PM.

• Spy Black likes this

#732 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:48 PM

I am also surprised they didn’t announce the new name.

#733 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:12 PM

Nope

Hey Dexter, are you able to confirm that the photo I provided two pages back with Crowfoot is the CEO?

#734 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:14 PM

That question of will the Royal be removed was asked today. The answer is unknown at this point.

I am also surprised they didn’t announce the new name.

• Matt R. likes this

#735 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 10:23 PM

From my understanding, there is a know seismic risk to the building and the government is legally obligated to preserve and protect the collection in perpetuity for all British Columbians. If they do not act, they would be negligent if an earthquake should happen. Considering the buildings contain the sum of BC history, it seems prudent to protect it. Many will see other uses for the money, however the Treasury board (not the elected politicians) decided this was needed. It is needed to protect our heritage for the next 100 years.

Could this be the NDP’s own Fortin’s Folly?

Nearly a billion bucks. My gosh.

#736 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 05:22 AM

Many will see other uses for the money, however the Treasury board (not the elected politicians) decided this was needed. 

That's not what the Treasury Board does, nor do they have the authority to direct how taxpayer dollars are spent.

The Treasury Board is an advisory body to the sitting government of the day, and it's that sitting government that directs spending.

No unelected bunch of Treasury Board bureaucrats is ever going to be given the authority to spend a billion tax dollars on discretionary construction.

This is an NDP project, pushed forward by a sitting NDP government.

• spanky123, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#737 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 05:32 AM

Wrong replacement ... wrong timeline.

It's the "replacements" that have perpetuated this ridiculous mess, and it's the "replacements" who are now desperately in need of replacement.

#738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 05:56 AM

For a billion dollars and a decade closed, this museum better be the Taj Mahal of museums. Sadly, I’m sure it will be a limp biscuit filled entirely with First Nations programming… which will eventually be deemed racist for some reason or another since the woke left continually eats itself.
Edit- I also predict it will have a new unprounanceable name.

This is my fear too. But it’s a long enough timeline that nobody can blame the current NDP politicians. They be mostly gone.

#739 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:11 AM

How about building a hospital instead. I am tired of the idiot politicians catering to

groups at everyone else expense.

#740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 06:22 AM

From my understanding, there is a know seismic risk to the building and the government is legally obligated to preserve and protect the collection in perpetuity for all British Columbians. If they do not act, they would be negligent if an earthquake should happen. Considering the buildings contain the sum of BC history, it seems prudent to protect it. Many will see other uses for the money, however the Treasury board (not the elected politicians) decided this was needed. It is needed to protect our heritage for the next 100 years.

I can see why they’re building the state of the art archives facility but does the museum have to go to such an extreme as to cost a billion dollars?

Any historians out there who recall the initial museum budget for the existing campus?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users