Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1460 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:51 AM

Why even bother with donations? Why not a free pass for a week?

Incredible museums around the world are free year round but we can't even get a week?

I dunno, can it hurt to ask?  The free museums in the US still take donations, and some do quite well.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

Sure, but they push the free and don't expect a donation. RBCM pushes donation, meanwhile the regular entrance fee is $16. I'm no cheapskate but that's pretty steep for what should really be free for British Columbians.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

Why even bother with donations? Why not a free pass for a week?

Incredible museums around the world are free year round but we can't even get a week?

Wouldn't take much money, but the gov't doesn't want to.

It is a great idea. All over England museums are free.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

Show BC ID, scoot in for free. We pay indirectly for these sorts of places then get dinged.

Heck, even $5 would be totally reasonable. I know I'd go more often if that was the price and many others would too. Now the museum is mostly trafficked by tourists and that's too bad.
  • tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:08 AM

Show BC ID, scoot in for free. We pay indirectly for these sorts of places then get dinged.

Heck, even $5 would be totally reasonable. I know I'd go more often if that was the price and many others would too. Now the museum is mostly trafficked by tourists and that's too bad.

Completely agree. It gets pricey for a family to go, though the annual pass isn't a bad deal. It would take a very minimal investment by the provincial government to make it free and accessible by all. Keep the donation box near the front door to pay for some extra programming.

• Mike K. likes this

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

And did we mention the museum is only open until 5PM? Lots of people will be able to make use of that kind gesture with those great hours...

Not even on a Friday can they stay open longer. Lame.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:10 AM

Sure, but they push the free and don't expect a donation. RBCM pushes donation, meanwhile the regular entrance fee is $16. I'm no cheapskate but that's pretty steep for what should really be free for British Columbians.

Maybe.  I'm not even sure they go out of their way to advertise this week either.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:11 AM

Its been pretty quiet, for sure.

I actually wanted to go tonight until I realized they close before 80% of the working population leaves the office.

Know it all.

#69 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

Considering how little people contribute to free events like the Moss Street Paint-In and Symphony Splash, I doubt very much that returning to the days of free admission and hoping for donations would be a sound plan for the museum. As I recall from comments at the time when the government introduced the admission charge, people living outside the Victoria area noted that Victoria residents disproportionately benefited from the free admission that everyone's tax dollars provided.

#70 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

I like to check out the new exhibits at the museum and looked into getting an annual pass a few years ago, but found out that you have to go more than three times (3.9x to be exact) per year to make it worthwhile. Now, this wouldn't be a problem, except that they typically have only had three exhibits per year. 

Even though I may not go see every exhibit, I'd happily get the annual membership as I feel it would be beneficial to the museum (steady membership $) and to me. As it stands now, I pick and choose what is worthwhile and only end up going there once or twice per year. 

• Bingo likes this

#71 RoyalBCMuseum

RoyalBCMuseum
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

Hi folks.

Glad to see so much conversation on this thread!

Just a couple of clarifications. First, we receive approximately 60 per cent of our funding from Government. To cover basic operations, we have to make up the remaining 40 per cent through admissions, donations, sponsorship, etc.

Admission by donation week is really our way of including the whole community – we want those who couldn’t otherwise afford to visit to do so, but we also gently ask that those who can contribute, do the best they can.

Also, you’re probably aware that the Royal BC Museum is much more than the collections on permanent display. We steward the biggest collection in Canada - over 7 million artifacts and specimens.  The records in the BC Archives would stretch 32 km if filed end-to-end!  Your support funds scientific research, the publication of scholarly books, assistance to researchers from around the world, and learning programs for adults and kids alike; in fact we host 35,000 school kids each year for free. Your admission fees (and donations) help make these opportunities possible.

• Nparker, sebberry, Mr Cook Street and 2 others like this

#72 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond, RBCM!

On Friday I actually wanted to visit the museum to take advantage of the entrance-by-donation promotion but the museum closed before I could even get there :( For the duration of the entire week getting to the museum by 5PM proved difficult, and it would have been far more enticing to visit on a weekend had the promotion ended on one and not started with one (when few people were aware of the promo).

Perhaps next year the promotion can include two weekends, or at least end on one?

Know it all.

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for replying RBCM.  Indeed when I was a kid, I enjoyed the school visits to the museum.

^ Mikew, add it to your calendar now for next year, it's the same week every year.

#74 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Jack Lohman, RBCM’s chief executive officer, told the Times Colonist in 2013 that fixing the “dysfunctional” entrance was a top priority. He complained at the time that it looked “more like a threshold to a shopping mall, rather than an entrance to Canada’s top museum.”

Williams said the planned changes will create a sleek, uncluttered lobby with new kiosks and a “more logical” design.

“All the totems are staying where they are,” Williams said.

The effect, she said, will be a “more refreshed museum because that’s where we’re headed.”

The exterior upgrades will make it easier for visitors arriving from the Inner Harbour to find the museum entrance.

The museum intends to make space by removing pergolas designed by architect John Di Castri and donating them to Colwood.

http://www.timescolo...-tuck-1.1749185
  • Mr Cook Street likes this

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:21 AM

May 26, 2015 until September 26, 2015. These hours will be from 10am to 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays only. Sunday to Thursday will remain at our regular hours of 10am to 5pm.

Discussion carried over from another thread.

#76 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

The Royal B.C. Museum has captured TripAdvisor’s award as the best museum in Canada for the second consecutive year.

“I’m happy to see them get well-deserved recognition.” said Paul Nursey, Tourism Victoria’s chief executive. “The Royal B.C. Museum reliably puts on great events year after year, which is an anchor to tourism in Victoria.”

The museum won special attention from TripAdvisor reviewers for its natural history displays, First Nations galleries, customer service and temporary exhibitions such as Gold Rush! El Dorado in B.C., which runs to Nov. 1.

Special temporary exhibitions play a major role in the region’s tourism industry, attracting local residents and out-of-town visitors. Our Living Languages, First Peoples’ Voices in B.C., started in June 2014 and runs to June 2017. From Dec. 5 to April 4, the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibit is on display.

The TripAdvisor award is based on 12 months of reviews.

“To be declared the best museum in Canada for the second year in a row is a huge honour for us and we’re truly delighted,” said the museum’s Scott Cooper, vice-president of collections, knowledge and engagement. “And to know the accolade really comes from our visitors, and not by jury, makes it all the more meaningful.”

http://www.timescolo...anada-1.2059932
  • aastra and Mr Cook Street like this

#77 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

The tenant in the Royal B.C. Museum’s restaurant closed and moved out at the end of last month, prompting the organization to review its use of the space.

Food service has not been ruled out for the ground-floor area of about 2,000 square feet, including a kitchen, said museum spokesman Erik Lambertson. The operator of the 75-seat restaurant was on a month-to-month rent and gave notice, he said.

http://www.timescolo...s-out-1.2086192

Edited by amor de cosmos, 15 October 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#78 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

The Royal B.C. Museum has opened a travelling photography exhibition at a major metro station in Guangzhou, China, depicting the beginning of a long relationship between the city and Canada.

Guangzhou to British Columbia: The Chinese Canadian Experience, 1858 to 1958 located in the Yuexiu Park station shows how the gold rush in B.C.'s Fraser Canyon caused many Chinese migrants to journey from Guangzhou to the province in search of wealth.

The exhibition, which is a partnership between the Guangzhou Metro Corporation and the Royal B.C. Museum Foundation, includes images of both Guangzhou and B.C., of people, landscapes, cityscapes and work environments.

http://www.vicnews.c.../338095171.html
  • Jill and lanforod like this

#79 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

more about the same story

c9-rbc-museum-in-china1-jpg.jpg

http://www.timescolo...splay-1.2100638
  • Nparker and Jill like this

#80 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

20151103_133233.jpg

@ Royal BC Museum

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users