Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#801 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:38 AM

In an election year when candidates will be dependant on the NDP for support I wouldn’t expect them to say much. I wonder if this was timed to coincide literally with the election, to keep officials quiet.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#802 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:46 AM

2.5 years away from an election, the NDP does have time to 'site C' it; likely demolition of current museum would be all that is needed to get to that point :(.

Six months to get everything out, and another six months to tear the current museum building down .. leaving an empty lot.

The "NDP" will definitely "Site C" the current building, forcing any party elected to continue this debacle.

The more I think about it, even more than the billion dollars (which is criminal post-COVID), as Mike pointed out in an earlier comment ... it's literally the entire generation of B.C. kids who will grow up without seeing anything of our Provinces true history in a world class setting like the former Provincial Museum.

Kids today risk the constant exposure of assorted social justice warriors leading them to believe there was First Nations ... and then suddenly - we're at "today" ... 2022.

They'll be led to believe that there was nothing "in between".

There was no mining, logging, fishing, road building, dam building ... there was no Dewdney Trail, no Caribou Road, no Kettle Valley Railway.

There will be nothing of note to teach what actually built the Province of British Columbia.

It's a profound shame on the current sitting government, and an example of the abysmal past and present leadership at the museum.

• Mike K., Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#803 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:54 AM

90% of BC kids probably don't visit the museum more than once in their first 20 years. Don't make that a bigger deal than it is.

#804 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:18 AM

90% of BC kids probably don't visit the museum more than once in their first 20 years. Don't make that a bigger deal than it is.

They do via school trips. Without the museum though, teachers can make history out to be anything they want.

#805 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:18 AM

Highly doubt this. I took my kids there all the time when they were youngsters. So did lots of our friends. There isn’t much to do in Victoria for kids- the museum is one solid activity we did often.

#806 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:37 AM

...Without the museum though, teachers can make history out to be anything they want.

I am pretty sure that is also one of the Province's goals in building a new museum.

#807 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 08:37 AM

It is somewhat of a big deal, as teaching kids the history of where they live is considered one of the fundamental benchmarks of a modern education.

Note that the museum has a full time education outreach position, and multiple school groups visiting every single day. The position is titled Learning Program Developer, and is exclusively devoted to school kids both visiting the museum, and accessing the museums resources remotely.

I am very confident that far more school kids visit the Provincial Museum, and do so far more often than your dismissive observation above suggests they might.

#808 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 10:01 AM

It is somewhat of a big deal, as teaching kids the history of where they live is considered one of the fundamental benchmarks of a modern education.

I like the current building.  What worries me most is that instead of creating a balanced and accurate view of history, we'll get twisted woke propaganda targeted towards children.

• max.bravo likes this

#809 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 11:35 AM

I'll ask again, in case someone has the answer.

Is it standard practice to shut down a cultural landmark for a decade, in order to rebuild it? Is there precedent for doing it this way?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#810 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:49 PM

While I am 100% against the Province's plan to rebuild the RBCM, is there a reason it would have to be built in the existing location? Choosing a new site would allow the current facility to stay open much longer. Why not offer the CoV a land swap for those terribly underused parking lots below Wharf Street and build a new facility there? 

wharf street.png

• sebberry, Matt R. and lanforod like this

#811 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:03 PM

^ That would have been a good place for the maritime museum, but I am wondering if the thought of such a facility is no longer politically correct? 

#812 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 May 2022 - 01:58 PM

Highly doubt this. I took my kids there all the time when they were youngsters. So did lots of our friends. There isn’t much to do in Victoria for kids- the museum is one solid activity we did often.

90% of BC kids don't live here. I grew up on the mainland and visited the museum just once before I turned 19. Yes, this was a school trip. The only thing I remember about it is the Imax film.

Stop thinking Victoria centric in this context when the bill goes to all of BC.

ps. 90% is a guess, but whatever, give or take...

Edited by lanforod, 17 May 2022 - 02:01 PM.

#813 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:00 PM

I'll ask again, in case someone has the answer.

Is it standard practice to shut down a cultural landmark for a decade, in order to rebuild it? Is there precedent for doing it this way?

Only precedents I can think of were forced ones. E.g. Notre Dame

#814 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,960 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:01 PM

They know it will cost $789 million. But they have no designs or renderings. How about that.
  • Nparker likes this

#815 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:11 PM

^ hadn't thought of that. That makes no sense.

#816 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2022 - 02:13 PM

They know it will cost $789 million. But they have no designs or renderings. How about that.

The Jubilee was what, $300m?  Double that now?  

Are they using blocks from the great pyramid to build the new museum?  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#817 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 03:52 PM

Woke consultants don't come cheap.

#818 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:23 PM

Even better, the chump they hired for a CEO claimed on CFAX this morning that $800M to build new was less than the cost of fixing the perceived problems with the existing building.

Edited by spanky123, 17 May 2022 - 04:23 PM.

#819 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:59 PM

...the chump they hired for a CEO claimed on CFAX this morning that $800M to build new was less than the cost of fixing the perceived problems with the existing building.

I believe this is known as the Lisa Helps' Crystal Pool Strategem

#820 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 07:25 PM

2.5 years away from an election, the NDP does have time to 'site C' it; likely demolition of current museum would be all that is needed to get to that point :(.

If I was Kevin Falcon, and the destruction of the old museum took place, I would promise to repurpose it as a hospital/medical centre. 

• Barrrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users