Photo

Royal British Columbia Museum (Royal B.C. Museum)

• Please log in to reply
1461 replies to this topic

#1061 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:58 AM

Consultation after the fact is what killed this. They played the faux consultation game that’s been in vogue among municipalities, and paid for the bad decision making, I guess. People can’t get doctors and they want to build a museum? I mean, come on.

How about the spec tax and empty homes tax? There has been no benefit to the public at large from these policies, and as we near turbulent real estate times maybe we’ll -want- that non-local money in our economy after all.
  • dasmo, Barrrister, JimV and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1062 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:02 PM

BTW who is the old guy who made this announcement? I hardly recognized John Horgan.

The other big pandemic we keep forgetting is the loss of our sense of compassion.  

• vortoozo, Teardrop and Spy Black like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1063 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:05 PM

The other big pandemic we keep forgetting is the loss of our sense of compassion.  

Old white guy is going to old white guy.

#1064 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:05 PM

He needs compassion? He just switched to a moustache. I like what I elected a premier with a goatee

Edited by todd, 22 June 2022 - 12:10 PM.

• dasmo likes this

#1065 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:07 PM

The ND used to be the party of the working man back in my dads day. Now it is the party of the Woke. My dad would have never voted for this gang.

• Nparker likes this

#1066 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:08 PM

The guy recently had cancer treatment for crying out loud...

Anyway, has anyone from the media yet asked for the engineering report to be made public?

• Barrrister likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#1067 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:08 PM

Not to mention the loss of a collective sense of humour.

• dasmo and JimV like this

#1068 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:10 PM

Has anything changed? they were already planning a long consultation process

Yes. The consultation will now take place with the museum open. And new decisions will be after the next election.

#1069 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:15 PM

The guy recently had cancer treatment for crying out loud...

just a little radiation treatment.

#1070 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:18 PM

Well I’ll be.

I received a phone call from my former family physician’s office. He closed his downtown Victoria practice and moved it to Mill Bay four years ago. Until today, I didn’t realize I was still a patient of his, technically. But that’s a moot point now, as the call was to tell me he is closing his practice and could not find a replacement.

Meanwhile, another doctor at the same clinic has announced she is also closing her practice in Mill Bay and will pursue care for stigmatized populations elsewhere. She does not elaborate further.

Both are leaving at the end of August.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1071 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:24 PM

Yes. The consultation will now take place with the museum open. And new decisions will be after the next election.

“..The premier said the province is now going "back to the drawing board" and the museum will remain open in the fall..”: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6497749

What about the winter?

#1072 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:26 PM

Well I’ll be.

I received a phone call from my former family physician’s office. He closed his downtown Victoria practice and moved it to Mill Bay four years ago. Until today, I didn’t realize I was still a patient of his, technically. But that’s a moot point now, as the call was to tell me he is closing his practice and could not find a replacement.

Meanwhile, another doctor at the same clinic has announced she is also closing her practice in Mill Bay and will pursue care for stigmatized populations elsewhere. She does not elaborate further.

Both are leaving at the end of August.

The new museum will have a floor dedicated to what used to be good health care in BC.

• Mike K., todd and JimV like this

#1073 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:32 PM

just a little radiation treatment.

As much as we may dislike the man, let’s show some compassion for him personally. Could happen to any of us.

Edited by spanky123, 22 June 2022 - 12:34 PM.

#1074 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:35 PM

At least Horgan, unlike our civic dictators, has agreed to change course upon discovering that the public absolutely, positively hated the idea and didn’t support it.

I didn’t hear the Old Town gallery specifically mentioned, though I don’t think it will come back.  He probably has to throw at least a small bone to Melanie Mark and her woke colleagues.  Don’t imagine that OT was by far the most popular exhibit in the museum carried much weight, though its absence will depress attendance.  (Which will probably be explained by the woke board as tourists fearing asbestos and flooding.)

• Nparker likes this

#1075 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:38 PM

Will the 3rd floor old town remain open, or is that already all torn out?

#1076 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:43 PM

As much as we may dislike the man, let’s show some compassion for him personally. Could happen to any of us.

He looks fine. Who wants a pity party. He’s a tough guy I’m sure he’s already moved on.

#1077 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:45 PM

Will the 3rd floor old town remain open, or is that already all torn out?

Yes, I would really like to know as well. Planning on paying the museum a visit again, but definitely boycotting it if Oldtown is already gone.

#1078 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:46 PM

I think it’s gone. Or maybe it’s just closed?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 June 2022 - 12:47 PM.

#1079 JimV

JimV
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 01:05 PM

I think they already dismantled it.  I heard a report a while back that they were using the empty space to pack up other material in preparation for the big move.  But don’t worry, there will probably be some pictures of it in the basement of the new Colwood archives.

Edited by JimV, 22 June 2022 - 01:06 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1080 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 03:17 PM

Consultation after the fact is what killed this. They played the faux consultation game that’s been in vogue among municipalities, and paid for the bad decision making, I guess. People can’t get doctors and they want to build a museum? I mean, come on.

How about the spec tax and empty homes tax? There has been no benefit to the public at large from these policies, and as we near turbulent real estate times maybe we’ll -want- that non-local money in our economy after all.

No doubt. I am hearing that both commercial and residential real estate have done a 180 in the past 60 days (probably because everyone is saying prices are dropping while interest rates are shooting up). 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users