[Downtown Victoria] Emaar project | 17- & 11-storeys | Canceled

• Please log in to reply
570 replies to this topic

#321 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

I was asked what I thought was appropriate for that lot, given the density it was zoned at. I don't think all of HG should be 5-6 stories!

Neither do I think you think that.

The Wave set a precedent for the area and showed that council was willing to support an increase in height and density within HG. It is unreasonable to think that other projects would never attempt to reach the same or greater height/density. With rezoning secured for the Wave in 2003/04, new proposals in HG asking for more than the zoning permits should come as no immediate surprise.

Furthermore, the lot on which 860 stands today was zoned by council for 13-storeys and greater density than 3:1 (a rental building dubbed Stafford) and that rezoning set the precedent for The Wave. The Stafford received approval in 2002/03, I believe.

#322 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

^My understanding is that the Wave got the height restriction lifted in exchange for not building up to the edge of 860 View. I could be misinformed.

Despite living there, I readily admit that the Wave is too blocky. I think a couple of taller towers would have been much nicer. Part of the problem with the units in the Wave is that most face only one direction. If the building had more corners, more people would have varied views to look out on.

I think it is going to be a challenge going out to build out Harris Green in a sensible fashion with the current zoning bylaws. I'm no city-planning expert, but unlimited density capped at 10 floors sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

#323 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

It certainly does. I think we'll be seeing a whole slew of 15- to 17-storey buildings in that area from now on which I'm personally not thrilled about (variety in form is key, IMO).

And does anyone know why the 819 Yates lot was zoned downtown and not HG (we may have touched on it elsewhere but it escapes me)?

#324 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

sheesh, another depressing slab for Harris Green. :mad:

It looks like they took the cheapest route possible to address the flat roof line, with a cheesy add on. I don't think this building knows which way to face, or what the hell it's supposed to be. It's architecture by committee, with a bunch of elements tacked together to form one rather unattractive tower.

#325 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

^^HG's western bdy is between Quadra and Blanshard the whole way according to the maps at the DVRA website...

#326 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:53 PM

There's that weird blip on this map that shows the boundary for HG. Notice the indent for 819 Yates which is unique along the western border. The same is also the case for the Paul's Motor Inn property on the north boundary of downtown.

#327 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

That blip is on the north side of Yates, according to http://www.victoriadra.ca/maps.html. No idea why it is there...

#328 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:32 PM

There's that weird blip on this map that shows the boundary for HG. Notice the indent for 819 Yates which is unique along the western border. The same is also the case for the Paul's Motor Inn property on the north boundary of downtown.

...that blips costs Paul's extra money as being in the DVBA boundaries and they have to pay extra tax.

#329 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

sheesh, another depressing slab for Harris Green. :mad:

It looks like they took the cheapest route possible to address the flat roof line, with a cheesy add on. I don't think this building knows which way to face, or what the hell it's supposed to be. It's architecture by committee, with a bunch of elements tacked together to form one rather unattractive tower.

LOL -- well put, zoomer...

I cannot believe that councilors thought this roofline had redeeming features. I can do more interesting things than that with the cardboard packaging left over from my Amazon books shipment...

By the way, that DRA map says:

The Downtown Neighborhood as officially defined by the City of Victoria as the area bounded by: Belleville to the South; Blanchard to the East; Chatham to the North; Wharf to the West.

I didn't know we had a Blanchard Street in Victoria. Hello, DRA? You guys should know better.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#330 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen that mistake...I'd have $2, at least.

The other popular error is "Johnston" Street.

#331 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

This project, along with 834 Johnson and possibly several others I don't know about will be fitted with sewage holding tanks at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars. The tanks will be so that "black water" can be flushed out at night during off-peak hours because Victoria's aging sewage infrastructure can't handle the extra density.

The cost has to be borne by the developer (ergo the homeowner) even though the City has Development Cost Charges ($36 per sq. m, or over half a million for an average highrise) that are supposed to pay for sewage upgrades among other things.

#332 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:14 PM

de Hoog & Kierulf Architects have graciously provided VibrantVictoria.ca with the following renderings of this project.

#333 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

That's not supposed to be razor wire on top of the gate posts, is it...??

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#334 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

Well, I'm glad to see that there will be a couple shop signage stores in the retail units. I know Holden West is always complaining about the poor quality shop signage in Victoria...well know there's no excuse with the new stores right downtown!

A Google sketchup Mr. Cool seems to be popping up everywhere lately. I wonder what he thinks of the new towers?

#335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

Those storefronts bear an eerie resemblance to the ground floor of the Wave. Please tell me that this project will NOT have the same sort of street front setbacks.

#336 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

Cool renderings the building massing seems taller and skinnier.

#337 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

BTW does this project have a more interesting moniker than "819 Yates"? I propose Weoqua. It sounds vaguely west-coast-ish, but of course just stands for West Of Quadra.

#338 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

No other name has surfaced yet, but given time they'll come up with something. It's pretty standard for a development to be referred only by its address up until the developer is ready to start selling units.

#339 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

Ownership of this project is now with Emaar Canada, a division of Dubai-based Emaar (developers of Burj Dubai, among others).

They are not looking at changing anything that would require a new rezoning or variance, but they are looking at possible changes to the design that would improve upon the existing plan.

#340 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the update, Rob.

Emaar has ties to Vancouver so their move to the Island is a logical step. Can we expect a design similar to the bold proposals of Dubai?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users