Dean Fortin | Victoria | Mayoral candidate

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

Would it help to say he's more leaning to the right as a left? I don't find him to be the typical NDP. He's very astute, and seeing how he's run BGCA over the years; I'm not worried about his economic/business capabilities.

I'm not sure how running a government-funded organization compares with economics/business acumen. The revenue side is pretty easy.

#22 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:15 PM

I'm not sure how running a government-funded organization compares with economics/business acumen. The revenue side is pretty easy.

Point taken. But I do think he's got it.

http://www.victoria....of_fortin.shtml

#23 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:56 PM

If you are simply suggesting that anyone without experience/party affiliation being the first to rival Fortin is desperate for attention, then I'm not sure why you identified him as 'the 19 year old'.

I believe that "the 19 year old" was a member of the young Liberals.

That should qualify for party affiliation.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

What is the left/right split on council?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

Rightish (Centrist really) - Lowe, Holland, Hughes, Coleman, Young, Thorton-Joe

Leftish - Fortin, Madoff, Chandler

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:13 PM

Rightish (Centrist really) - Lowe, Holland, Hughes, Coleman, Young, Thorton-Joe

Leftish - Fortin, Madoff, Chandler

Rightest (first) to centrist (last in lits) in this order for the first group IMO:

Holland, Coleman, Hughes, Young, Thornton-Joe, Lowe.

#27 Joseph

Joseph
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:52 PM

Rightest (first) to centrist (last in lits) in this order for the first group IMO:

Holland, Coleman, Hughes, Young, Thornton-Joe, Lowe.

MHO on Rightest to Leftist (this is based on actions, not platforms/portfolios):

Holland, Young, Lowe, Coleman, Thorton-Joe, Hughes, Fortin, Madoff, Chandler

#28 Concerned Citizens

Concerned Citizens
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:59 AM

CCC

Unless I have missed something, I can't seem to find any statement by incumbent Victoria City Councillor Dean Fortin at his website about the Battershill-Lowe secrecy scandal.

If Mr. Fortin wants to be considered a serious candidate for the office of the Mayor of the City of Victoria, he should really speak out forcefully against this unacceptable, unaccountable fiasco.

He should call for the Mayor to resign his position as Chair of the Police Board.

He should oppose the City of Victoria paying the Police Chief's legal bills.

He should furthermore, and most importantly, call for the full release of the RCMP investigation report on the disgraced Chief, and tell the citizen-taxpayers of the capital city what exactly he would do to reform the Police Board.

Gregory Hartnell, President
Concerned Citizens' Coalition

CCC

#29 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

Yes, especially considering all the other candidates we were taking way more seriously.

#30 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

Has anyone seen much of the Fortin campaign? If there is a fall election, he is likely to lose all of his supporters to the NDP federal campaign and have trouble raising money.

I would have thought I would have seen him pressing the flesh day in and day out all over town. I would have expected to see some more action on the website and on facebook, but all is quiet, though he is gaining some members on facebook lately.

#31 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Has anyone seen much of the Fortin campaign? If there is a fall election, he is likely to lose all of his supporters to the NDP federal campaign and have trouble raising money.

I would have thought I would have seen him pressing the flesh day in and day out all over town. I would have expected to see some more action on the website and on facebook, but all is quiet, though he is gaining some members on facebook lately.

I believe he has to step down as Executive Director of BGCA before being allowed to actively campaign?
Sometime in Sept. I think.

#32 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

I do not think that he has to as he has campaigned for council and been the exec dir in the past.

#33 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

I do not think that he has to as he has campaigned for council and been the exec dir in the past.

Good point.
Is there a difference being a Mayoral campaign?
I'm stumped now.:confused:

#34 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

As far as I know, there is no systemic reason he could not be campaigning at the moment. With a several month head start on everyone else, I am not sure why he has not been talking with 50 to 100 people a day. If he had been doing that, he would have met with about 5000 people.

His campaign reminds of the VCE council campaign last time. They were all lacklustre and did not try very hard to get elected. Compare that to the work Ben Isitt did in campaigning or the two Greens. Sonya Chandler alone handed out more leaflets and knocked more doors than all six VCE council candidates last time.

There are 40 000 residences in this city, with 200 volunteers door knocking he could have already reached them all before the competition even started. With the upcoming fed election possible this fall, he is in serious danger of not being able to meet the public.

Maybe he feels it is unfair to campaign too hard before the others are fully in the race?

#35 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:14 AM

Rob Reid is joining Fortin's ticket so it should get interesting.

First, there is no Fortin ticket. There is the VCE (which ran Pam Madoff, Chantall Brodeur, Dean Fortin, Erik Kaye, Pam Madoff, and Bryan Skinner last election) but the Ben Issit debacle took the wind out of the party. It still exists but in a diminished form.

I don't think Reid and Fortin see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:56 AM

There is the VCE (which ran Pam Madoff, Chantall Brodeur, Dean Fortin, Erik Kaye, Pam Madoff, and Bryan Skinner last election....

Yikes! No wonder she got elected. Her name was on the ballot twice! :P

#37 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

What do you all think of the South Island 2020 (formerly Victoria 2020) blog entry from today, Dean Fortin shows bad judgement?

With only three weeks before the civic election Dean Fortin should not be sitting as the acting Mayor - it bestows an unfair advantage upon him with only weeks before the election. In the interest of fairness he should step aside and another member of Victoria City Council should take the chair.

It's an interesting point -- it does seem to be an advantage for Dean, this close to the election. Thoughts?

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#38 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

It's an interesting point -- it does seem to be an advantage for Dean, this close to the election. Thoughts?

I agree. I had to find a fill-in host for my show from nomination day to the election (CRTC / Elections rules) as being on-air would have given me, or appeared to have given me, an unfair advantage.

The Elections Act (don't have the quote but I know its in there) states a fair and equal playing field for all candidates. I think it woud apply in this case as well. I was surprised on Friday to see Dean acting as Mayor in dealing with the Tent City issue.

Sue

#39 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:34 PM

Funny, I asked the same question in the homeless thread.
It is an unfair advantage IMO.

#40 groundlevel

groundlevel
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

All council members act as acting Mayor on occasion -- it's a rotating schedule -- and it was Dean's shift. Without the homeless shelter announcement we would probably not have noticed.
IMO I think if you have been charged with assault, arson or murder the previous week you should decline the opportunity to be acting mayor. Otherwise, what the heck.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users