Photo

[Fairfield] Essencia Verde condo (formerly Castana) | 4- & 3-storeys | Built - completed in 2010

• Please log in to reply
727 replies to this topic

#701 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:54 AM

Well the property is being run by a receiver now. So I'm guessing that might be what's scaring potential tenants away. Either that or the fact that the spaces aren't move in ready.

#702 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Has anyone seen the new piece of public art in front of the Pharmasave? It's the most phallic thing I have seen.

It's about 3 and half feet high. It consists of a foot wide stainless steel pole rising up with embossed rings spiraling up the pole - making it look like a large screw. The top (or the...erm...head) is a roundish piece of polished marble.

There was an article a few month ago about the city forcing the owners of this development to follow through on promised beautification of the outside of the premises or be subject to a fine. A public art piece on this spot was part of the mandate.

And this piece is the owners reply... a big SCREW YOU! made with metal and stone.

I laughed so hard when I saw it yesterday.

My apologies to the artist if this is a real piece of public art.

#703 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

This thing looks ridiculous. Truly a "screw you" farewell...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#704 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Does officialdom pat itself on the back every time one of these "art" pieces is installed somewhere in the city?

I wonder why there wasn't a big media blitz and unveiling for "Screw You?" ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#705 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

I still don't know how to embed video.

Anyway, here's an A-News report on the piece of "art".

I love how in some people's eyes, questioning the validity of public art is a definite no, no. No matter what.

This isn't art. And I don't want anyone telling me that I obviously don't understand something. So much in the art world is complete bulsh1t that it makes me sick. And that bullsh1t is so prominent in this town. This protectionism of any and all art simply makes all art less valuable. I very much agree that it is a subjective thing, but there has to be parameters.

What's with the public art in this town anyway? It's either way too literal and transparent, it's ridiculously random and inabsorbable, or it's only purpose is to make you feel bad.

I mean can't we see a balance here? Can't we have something that is fun, original and inspires a spiritual re-awakening? Just something that evokes real emotion would be nice.

#706 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Andy Roonie's take on public art. I would actually love to see much if not all of those examples of public art. I found them inspiring.

#707 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Just something that evokes real emotion would be nice.

You know, sometimes I think the biggest issue in the Victorian psyche is that we think we're smarter than the rest of the world. We think we're just so much darned wiser than everybody else, and therefore nothing can ever be done in a straightforward way. Everything has to be one or more of the following:

- a ploy
- a scam
- a diversion
- a pretension
- a reinvention
- a manipulation
- a political statement
- a joke-on-you

I'm not just talking about public art, either. Public art, especially, but not just public art by any means.

No time to elaborate but I think most of you probably know what I'm driving at.

#708 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Call me dumb, but I would like for you to elaborate.

#709 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

My crisizism isn't on the existing art per se. I wouldn't be so hard on it if it weren't accompanied by more variety.

#710 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

I think we need to be MORE smart. I think we need to be more selective, more suspicious, and more daring!

For everyone that finds my opinion insulting, I bet there are 20 that find the lack of insight in the selection proccess of local public art in this town insulting.

#711 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

I guess I would like to see more variety too. There ought to be a rule that if you've got an installation in this town, that's it for you. Sorry.
Move on to someone else. Perhaps someone with fresh thoughts and ideas. Someone with something that no one has ever seen before.

#712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Victoria cannot afford to pay for the materials and the artists to create something on the scale and of the significance that we see in other cities. We simply lack the funds to attract artists who are capable of making something other than Castana's "screw you," the satellite wreck in front of the arena and revolving door of hanging canoes, metal flowers and totem poles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#713 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

^ I agree, which perhaps argues for a different way of handling public art then making individual developers plunk something in a corner out front.

#714 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

You know, sometimes I think the biggest issue in the Victorian psyche is that we think we're smarter than the rest of the world

Define "we".

I certainly don't think I am smarter than the rest of the world.

Just another day older......and a Budweiser. :)

#715 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I guess Aastra's not going to elaborate.

#716 GRT

GRT
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:16 PM

That art piece was an open invitation to vandals. It wasn't firmly planted on its base, rocked when pushed lightly; it screamed KNOCK ME OVER!! And guess what .... somebody did.

#717 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

There's been a recent (and modest) price drop on the remaining units in this development.

#718 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

I find it very strange that there are no takers for the commercial units. Plenty of activity across the street but things here are mysteriously quiet.
Anybody have any info as to what the heck is going on?

#719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

I was just wondering that myself. Units in 355 Cook were snapped up immediately and the building is still under construction, meanwhile Essencia Verde's retail space remains empty a year after the project's completion.

The lease rate is between $37.50 and $47.50, plus $17.50 in operating costs, per square foot. A relatively small space of even 1000 sq. ft. would cost a tenant a whopping $55,000 to $65,000 in rent every year. That's nearly $4,600 to over $5,400 per month. Add an additional 1000 sq. ft. and it's easy to see how the lease rates are simply far beyond the affordability of most businesses.

Know it all.

#720 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

Of course the price must be it. You'd think that since it's been a year since the receiver has started marketing the commercial units that they would consider lowering the lease rate to a more competitive level.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users